Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Power plan for new truck (to me), any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power plan for new truck (to me), any comments?

This is one of my first posts to this forum after being out of country for a year and I wanted to get a few comments on my setup plan for this truck. Below is the list:

1. Air - K&N or the like
2. Exhaust - 5" Turbo back (suggestions?)
3. Gauges - Fuel Press/Exh Temp/Boost (Debating no gauges and using Edge Juice or the like for the data)
4. Trans - From what I hear on here, Goerend, DTT, Suncoast, ATS... What is suggested as far as tranny options for making 500hp/1000tq? Ie-billet parts, etc.
5. Programmer - Suggestions asked for here also, Edge Comp, A2 or Adrenaline? Any comments on the Hypertech, I know it doesn't add much hp and etc for programming but gives realtime data when mods are made. Are there any more sophisticated computer software one could use for tuning? EFI Live is GM only...
6. FASS or the like
7. Turbo - Industrial Injection Super PhatShaft 62 - Other suggestions?
8. Injectors - 150 HP DDP's
9. Intercooler - Spearco or other
10. Any other suggestions from here?

I appreciate any comments that anyone will make!

Regards to all...
Old 08-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhenk
This is one of my first posts to this forum after being out of country for a year and I wanted to get a few comments on my setup plan for this truck. Below is the list:

1. Air - K&N or the like
2. Exhaust - 5" Turbo back (suggestions?)
3. Gauges - Fuel Press/Exh Temp/Boost (Debating no gauges and using Edge Juice or the like for the data)
4. Trans - From what I hear on here, Goerend, DTT, Suncoast, ATS... What is suggested as far as tranny options for making 500hp/1000tq? Ie-billet parts, etc.
5. Programmer - Suggestions asked for here also, Edge Comp, A2 or Adrenaline? Any comments on the Hypertech, I know it doesn't add much hp and etc for programming but gives realtime data when mods are made. Are there any more sophisticated computer software one could use for tuning? EFI Live is GM only...
6. FASS or the like
7. Turbo - Industrial Injection Super PhatShaft 62 - Other suggestions?
8. Injectors - 150 HP DDP's
9. Intercooler - Spearco or other
10. Any other suggestions from here?

I appreciate any comments that anyone will make!

Regards to all...
I'd stay away from oiled filters like K&N, been proven to cause problems to turbo & engines. Adrenaline with Pulse will be as close to efi live as these trucks can get.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the input, the Adrenaline is new to me, haven't really researched it yet... do you couple your Adrenaline with a Smarty? I haven't ran either before let alone coupled two together, what variability does that give you stacking them together? I appreciate your input!

Ben
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM
GFB

Spend that intercooler money elsewhere. You won't need it.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:32 PM

Won't need the intercooler huh? What would you suggest instead? Thanks for your reply...
Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 PM

A good intake with a dry filter, A tuner edge or adrenaline and a smarty if you want it, a 62/12 or 64/14 turbo and 150 or so hp sticks and a good tranny. Where are you located? You may be close to a good tranny buider to save some $$ on shipping.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Banned

Thanks for the input, the Adrenaline is new to me, haven't really researched it yet... do you couple your Adrenaline with a Smarty? I haven't ran either before let alone coupled two together, what variability does that give you stacking them together? I appreciate your input!

Ben
Stacking the 2 gives a insane amount of bottom end. Me likey bottom ends.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:09 AM

I am located in South Carolina at the moment, I move about every year with my job. A lot of low end with the stack huh? Hmmm... I'll go with the Adrenaline first and work from there...

Any cost saving suggestions with a tranny upgrade? In the short term, I have contacted DTT thus far...
Old 08-19-2008, 08:14 AM

Do the tranny once!! you have picked the best ( in opinion) tranny shop, I must admit to have little to no experience with some of the others.
If you tow or plan to, you may not like that turbo. Get something on paper about returning it if you smoke out the right lane towing.
I like my twins, and I'm sure there are even better set-ups not.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM

I am located in South Carolina at the moment, I move about every year with my job. A lot of low end with the stack huh? Hmmm... I'll go with the Adrenaline first and work from there...

Any cost saving suggestions with a tranny upgrade? In the short term, I have contacted DTT thus far...
Drive to Va Beach, see TiminVa of TRE diesel, drive home with a DTT =)
Old 08-19-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Drive to Va Beach, see TiminVa of TRE diesel, drive home with a DTT =)
thats exactly what I was getting at. I took mine up twice from jacksonville nc when I was still stationed there.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by j-fox
Do the tranny once!! you have picked the best ( in opinion) tranny shop, I must admit to have little to no experience with some of the others.
If you tow or plan to, you may not like that turbo. Get something on paper about returning it if you smoke out the right lane towing.
I like my twins, and I'm sure there are even better set-ups not.

I tow a 21' bass boat, not too demanding of a tow application. I would like to keep the smoke level a bit lower than a tugboat, any suggestions?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 AM
The Guru

I would throw the stock sticks back in when you tow. The high egt's might damage expensive parts. I run a set of 125's and the egt's aren't too bad, of course thats with twins. You could try a turbo with a large turbine housing and get the tranny shop to sell ya a high stall converter. Let the tranny shop know that you tow some. Race tranny shift pretty hard and towing heavy makes for a hard shifting ride. Tim will set you up right, might even talk you into mach sticks instead of the dpp's.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I would throw the stock sticks back in when you tow. The high egt's might damage expensive parts. I run a set of 125's and the egt's aren't too bad, of course thats with twins. You could try a turbo with a large turbine housing and get the tranny shop to sell ya a high stall converter. Let the tranny shop know that you tow some. Race tranny shift pretty hard and towing heavy makes for a hard shifting ride. Tim will set you up right, might even talk you into mach sticks instead of the dpp's.
4" or 5" exhaust? What is everyone's experience with a 5"? Very throaty? What kind of sound could I expect with a 5"?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:12 PM
The Guru

the 5in is sweet. You straight pipe or thinking about a muffler? Straight pipe 5in is loud with stacks but that why they build louder stereo's. I bought my sticks from Tim, he's a good guy to deal with.

Quick Reply: Power plan for new truck (to me), any comments?