Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

potentometer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
potentometer?

Can someone explain to me how to hook one of these 4 dollar radio shack things up on a 97 12 valve. It locks up the TC right after it shifts into overdrive and it shifts out of 1st at about 5 mph. I think it should shift out of first at about 10-15. I also thinks it shifts out of gears to fast instead of holding it in a gear. Would this also fix the shifting early too? Could some body write up something for me that an 18 year old could follow or point me to another thread that has a full write up on it.

Thanks Adam
Old 10-27-2007, 07:25 PM

A potentiometer provides a variable resistance in an electrical circuit. Now I am not up on the 12 valve engines, but the 2nd gen trucks use an open or closed switch for manual T/C lockup. I have never heard anything about using a potentiometer. I could be wrong, but I can't see it working in this application.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 PM

So at what mph is the transmission supposed to shift out of 1st into 2nd and how would i go about fixing it?

Is the only thing you can do to the tranmission on these trucks is a 3 way TC lock up swtich?

Thanks Adam
Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 AM

Take a look at the thread on TDR. I did the by-pass the TPS all together with a pot trick and was very happy with the results. I also had just a pot in line with the TPS before doing the by-pass and it did help some with early lock up's

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...th-buster.html
Old 10-29-2007, 12:19 PM

Just what and where is this TPS thing you are talking about ?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:43 PM

I just did the POT on my truck. It has been great so far. I really like having the shift to overdrive dialed up to 45mph instead of the 35 it used to shift into overdrive at. Lugs the truck down a lot less. I just use the O/D off button for kickdown out of overdrive since you lose the kickdown by getting rid of the TPS. Also, once the converter locks in 3rd or OD it wont unlock until you are going slow enough, or tap the brake. That is really nice, especially towing. It is a very worth while mod.

Eric
Old 11-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Cumminsdriver can you please write me up how you installed it and what exactly the potentiometer does (controls the voltage right?)? Mainly just how to install it, does it also let you change when it shifts out of gears?

I would really appreciate it.

Thank You, Adam
Old 11-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Anybody know because i would like to get it and install it today

Thanks
Old 11-03-2007, 03:45 PM

I did the pot trick and it works great. Shifts into TC lockup at 48 every time. There are lots of threads here about it if you search on TPS POT. Radio shack has the pot you need. Here is a full write up with pics:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hlight=tps+pot

Another:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hlight=tps+pot

and there are many more.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:25 PM

I looked at both of those but they were for 1st generations does it still work the same for a 2nd generation?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:44 PM

Hey, sorry i forgot about this thread, but the POT hooks up the same on a 2nd generation as a first generation. I did it EXACTLY the same as the first link SunWizard posted shows. Just buy what ya need, and wire it up. Took me 10 minute to do it all, and then a few runs to dial it in, but it works perfect, and I can dial overdrive anywhere from 35 to about 60mph. Its sweet.

Eric