Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Please Read this. Diesel_Dan works for DPP.....Diesel Dan Does not

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Read this. Diesel_Dan works for DPP.....Diesel Dan Does not

It has been brought to my attention that there is another Diesel Dan on this site. He has been receiving e-mails from members wanting FASS questions answered. To set the record straight, My name is:

Diesel_Dan

Please Note the Under Score.

Please direct all questions to me at this name via a post, in a thread on the forum. I search these forums daily. DO NOT PM me (OR Diesel Dan) questions about FASS/HPFP. I would like to carry out all discussion on the forums in public. This is to help anyone else with similar questions.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:48 AM

Fass preheat

I have a FASS system on my 2000 ctd 3500. Do you sell a preheater? Do I need one or does my old one still work?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:47 AM

will be buying/installing a fass system in the next few days. couple of ??'s

1- any hints, clues, suggestions, for getting on top of tank to remove/install lines w/o removing bed?

2- what is the FASS II system compared to a plain ol' FASS?

thanks _Dan
Old 09-20-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tsutter
I have a FASS system on my 2000 ctd 3500. Do you sell a preheater? Do I need one or does my old one still work?
For the FASS, there is ports drilled in the base to run engine coolant through. If you are in extreme cold for extended periods, you may want to consider a preheater. BUT i only see this an issue for some border states, Canada and AK. If you run additives to keep the fuel from gelling, you will be fine. Brad, and several others have ran the FASS down to -15 with no issue. Mine was fine at 0 with no additives. You can run your fuel through the stock filter head.....but its added restriction to the system.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by snowrodeo

1- any hints, clues, suggestions, for getting on top of tank to remove/install lines w/o removing bed?

thanks _Dan
Question #1:

Just get your hand up there....you do have some room......One hint that i heard from someone the other day that was pretty cool. This is about the tank fitting on top of the tank. Get a small wire or string. Wrap around the 2 tabs you have to push down to pull the line off the tank using a slip knot. This will hold the tabs down and just pull the line off. I have not tried it but the gent that did said it worked great.

To get the blue clip off, you need to bend the 2 tabs (The ones you just pushed to get the line off) back over backwards. Once you get them pulled back, pull the clip off the line.

Use thread sealant on all pipe fittings!

Heat gun, WD-40 or axle grease helps get the lines on the push lock fittings. No need to use hose clamps....they will hold up to 300 PSI.

Get some zip ties to clean up install.

Question #2:

The FASS is just that. The “Fuel Air Separation System”. This is the unit with 2 filters.

The HPFP (Or as people keep calling it, FASS II or Baby FASS), is just the pump by its self.

Both kits replace the stock lift pump.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hey Underscore Dan.....The least you could do is offer a portion of your paycheck to the real Diesel Dan....

stickingmynoseinwhereitdon'tbelongLary
Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least a referral fee.

I should change my name to Bob_Wagner.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Hey Underscore Dan.....The least you could do is offer a portion of your paycheck to the real Diesel Dan....

stickingmynoseinwhereitdon'tbelongLary
HAHA.....i didnt know the name was copy righted already......o well! Blame Crobtx....he is the one that gave me the name at a DTR meet.........
Old 09-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dan
Blame Crobtx....he is the one that gave me the name at a DTR meet.........
I knew that was coming...................
Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dan
For the FASS, there is ports drilled in the base to run engine coolant through. If you are in extreme cold for extended periods, you may want to consider a preheater. BUT i only see this an issue for some border states, Canada and AK. If you run additives to keep the fuel from gelling, you will be fine. Brad, and several others have ran the FASS down to -15 with no issue. Mine was fine at 0 with no additives. You can run your fuel through the stock filter head.....but its added restriction to the system.
Just to piggyback, I've run my HPFP (FASS II) between -30*F & -47*F before running it through the stock filter housing with no issues.
Also to snowrodeo, not knowing how big or small you are, but I was able to fit in between the driveshaft and exhaust (sitting) to reach the top of the tank. It was a tight fit, but it made access to the tank connections easy....just make sure the truck is not going to move at all.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:13 PM

Line removal

Originally Posted by snowrodeo

thanks _Dan

I used a similar approach as described by Diesel_Dan to take mine off two weeks ago. I used a right-angle needle nose pliers to squeeze the blue tabs and held the pliers shut with wire. Then I used a large flat head screwdriver on the end of the line next to the clip and had to pound on it with my hand. I was nervous about breaking something but the line did evenutally pop off. Mine is a 99 and the metal line going into the tank is very rusty on the outside so it took some force to get it off. I was wedged in between the muffler and drive shaft also and I did not fit very well but it worked. This is the worst part. Once the line comes off, the rest is a piece of cake
Old 09-21-2006, 01:21 PM

OK....Changed Name to:

Diesel-Dan
Old 09-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
OK....Changed Name to:

Diesel-Dan
You should have gone for "-ing Diesel Dan".
Old 09-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Banned

You sell out.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
You sell out.
Dont make me smack the blue off your face, boy!

Quick Reply: Please Read this. Diesel_Dan works for DPP.....Diesel Dan Does not