Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Please give opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please give opinions

I'm having a hard time deciding on what tire I should buy. I live in Montana, we have all weather conditions (snow, rain, ice, rocks, really rough pavement). I'm looking for a tire that will produce mileage, and be good for all of the above. I'm currently looking at the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 and the ToYo Open Country M/T, both in 265/75 r16. I checked alot of reviews and thees two keep coming up. If anyone has a different tire please let me know. I pull trailers, play in the mountians, in the snow and the rocks. HELP PLEASE.....

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tires

I love the Michelin M&S tires ( my speller isn't here) they are the 235 85 16's I get about 100,000 km's in 2 years. They took us the one spring up a very soft 4 inchs of mud, the mountian that I go hunting in a few days time.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:35 AM

COME ON !!!!!! Had 57 views and only one user gave a reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've not heard good things about the Toyo's in the snow.

My preferance is the Cooper mud terrains/Procomp=good in snow, Bfg At's=excellent in snow, Michelins are good for the street and long mileage but rotten in the snow and Ice.

I'm going with the BFG's myself!

Rick
Old 10-03-2006, 02:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am another vote for BFG AT KO's. Excellent tire for alot of different conditions.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are you in MT?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Marine
Where are you in MT?
Anaconda, Butte area.

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 AM

Ok. I am in Bozeman (when not in Afghanistan)
I bought some Delta Sierradials last fall. They work fairly well in the snow, and really well on wet pavement and the highway.

The set before was the Super Sport HT from Wal-Mart. The only prob was that they were C rated. I think this year they have an E rated tire out in the 265/75-16. The 235/75-16 is E Rated.
They were an AWESOME snow tire.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by runamuk
I've not heard good things about the Toyo's in the snow.

My preferance is the Cooper mud terrains/Procomp=good in snow, Bfg At's=excellent in snow, Michelins are good for the street and long mileage but rotten in the snow and Ice.

I'm going with the BFG's myself!

Rick
We've had good luck with Toyo m-55's in all conditions - I can't speak intelligently about the Open Country Mt's because I haven't personally used them. However, the few guys I've spoken to that were running them in the oilfield, had nothing but praise for them. The average has been ~30,000 to 35,000 miles out of them.

I had BFG's on my '98 Dodge. With lots of running on gravel hunting, fishing, and travel to the farm, I was very unhappy with their performance and longevity. While new, they were great. With a little wear, they were useless in the mud and snow. I found that gravel takes chunks out of their tread. They lasted ~15,500 miles before replacement was required.

Just a pot stirring opinion.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:10 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I ran two sets of Bridgestone dueler REVO's and they were great in all conditions except mud. They do ok in it but if it gets deep or too gooey they dont do so well. On the road, wet and snow they are just fantastic. They also do well off road until the deep mud. I got 55k and 62k per set on the REVO's. However that being said I switched to the Toyo M55's this go round. I am in the mud frequently on our property in the mountains and hopefully these work better for me there. I only have about 5 or 6k on them so far but they seem good so far. They havent seen snow or mud yet but seem good dry and in the rain. The snow is right around the corner and the mud will hit in the spring so we shall see. They do make a fair amount of road noise. So much so that unless they just rock in the mud I may switch back to the REVO's when these wear out or try the Toyo MT's which I couldnt get due to some backorder issues that had been lasting months and just couldnt wait any longer.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:00 AM

I am in the same boat and have just about decided on the Toyo MT 285-70-17 E rated , but it wouldn't take a lot to get me to change my mind again . Like you I hate to make a wrong choice because I will need to live with what ever I chose for a few years . I have heard mostly good about them and like you I want a snow , mud , off road tire that wears like iron . I think if I was just looking for one of the four there would be a better tires to consider but from what I read the Toyo is rated good for all these and I think they are my number one choice right now . I need to decide real soon , snows will be coming and the set I have on now will be like slicks soon .
Old 10-03-2006, 09:07 AM

I like the M-55's as well, but the tread life sucks.
Here in Afghanistan, the tire that has surprised me the most is the Yokohama Geolander AT's.
There is so much rock and rough terrain here, that the way they held up has really made me pay attention to them.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:08 AM

Add another nod to the BFG ATs. I do believe they now make the 285/75r16 in an E rated version. just a little bigger than the 265s you mentioned and fill the wheel wells much better
Old 10-03-2006, 06:45 PM

Thanks guys for the input... I think I'm going to go with the toyo's m/t.. anyone find a better price than 189.00 per tire for the 165/75 r16.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:56 PM

I have 285/75/16 Mastercraft Courser C/T's. IMO they are one of the best all terrain tires for the money. $525 for all 4 of mine mounted, and balanced. They seem to go about 40k miles before needing to be replaced. And they are pretty meaty for the mud/rocks/dirt or whatever. I really like mine, and they seem to be wearing well, and they do good with a load too. I just think for the $ they are very hard to beat. I have pictures in my gallery.

Eric

Here is a good pic of the tread:

Quick Reply: Please give opinions