Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Please explain EZ box and Exhaust Brake??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please explain EZ box and Exhaust Brake??

Sorry to be stupid to the diesel parts and pieces but as you can see by my other post I just began my diesel life last night with the purchase of my first cummins truck. <br> Throughout my posts over the last few weeks many people recommended an &quot;EZ Box&quot; and an &quot;Exhaust Brake&quot;. Are these units made to go on my 2000 Dodge 3/4T / Cummins (6-speed manual tranny)?? If so can someone provide a easy to understand description and benefit of each and also any info that can be viewed online for each product and its home would be great. Thanks again for the help, RJ in Montana...
Old 10-09-2002, 02:13 PM

Re:Please explain EZ box and Exhaust Brake??

Edge Products

BD Exhaust Brake

Pacbrake

E-Brake by Jacobs
Old 10-09-2002, 02:15 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

Hey RJ! Welcome to the Dark Side :-)<br><br>An EZ box is simply a plug-in timing and fueling box designed to add more power (~35 at peak, ~55 max gain at 1800 RPM) to your Cummins. Our Cummins diesels are seriously de-rated in the Dodge trucks, through a combination of small injectors and a non-optimized fuel/air/timing map. The EZ (and other fueling boxes) attempts to gain all the power it can by reading intake air temp, throttle position, RPM, and boost. It takes these numbers and intercepts the factory fueling/timing signals and replaces them with optimized numbers of its own.<br><br>An exhaust brake, simplified, is a butterfly valve that resides in the exhaust flow. When you back off on the throttle, the butterfly closes, creating exhaust backpressure which increases engine braking. Backpressure is controlled by two methods: <br><br>1) a hole drilled in the butterfly. This allows some exhaust gasses to escape, and prevents too much back pressure.<br><br>2) a wastegate on the brake. When back pressure exceeds a safe limit, the wastegate pops open, bleeding off exhaust gasses.<br><br>The exhaust brake is pretty much a necessity, IMHO, if you plan on towing heavier loads (&gt; 12K) with your new truck.<br><br>Rod
Old 10-10-2002, 04:32 PM

Welcome to the site RJ!<br><br>I'd say get yourself a good set of gauges first. Because once you start feeling the HP your gonna lose your mind and want more MORE MORE! Do yourself a favor and get some gauges now before you get a taste of the good stuff. ;D
Old 10-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the old &quot;stuff the potato in the tail pipe trick&quot;, that's how the e-brake works. The Jacobs has a butterfly valve that is slightly smaller in diameter than the housing itself. Just enough to build sufficient back pressue for braking but not tight shut off.<br>Been running mine for three years now and at 109000 miles, my brakes are original and still like new. After the gauges, this is a necessity in my opinion.<br>Good luck and welcome.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:20 PM

Hi! Maybe someone can help here. Does the 03 Jacobs Exhaust Brake have a wastegate? I have a loud whistle from the area of the brake (Out the back is normal per Jacobs) Dealer does not know. It was the first they installed on 03. Said they couldn't even hear the air pump on the 24 valve models due to engine noise! Thanks.