Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pipe Dope and Gauge installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pipe Dope and Gauge installation

Spent approximately 7 hours yesterday running wires and lines and mounting this and that for the Rod Pod installation. 4 gauge installation. EGT, Fuel Pressure (mechanical), Boost, and Trans Temp. I have the crossover line with port and stainless steel flex connector that DTT offers for the Trans Temp but won't install that line. DTT is going to do it for me when they work their magic on my tranny upgrade. ;D. Today, I'll make the actual connections to various points and hook up the power. I have one question: Do I need to put pipe dope or tape on some of these attachments (like the fuel line)? I have both dope and tape. For all the instructions floating around, they never mention that little item. I'll be posting some observations later about the installation because this involves the Rod Pod. I've helped on &quot;A Pillar&quot;installations for others (just the gauge part, not the engine part) and now this for myself and there are differences to be sure.<br><br>~Dave
Old 12-29-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Pipe Dope and Gauge installation

I know it's a bad idea to use teflon tape on fuel lines in a gasser. Not sure if diesel is the same.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:53 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Teflon tape and the injection pump do not play well togther.
Small pieces of the tape could come loose and do a real number on the VP.
I used pipe dope and only enough to fill the threads on the AN fittings,wipng off the excess, none on the sealing surfaces
Old 12-29-2002, 09:11 AM

Pipe dope it is. How about at the gauge end of the line? I have the stainless flex line that gets shipped out with Rod's orders. Are the ends configured so you don't have to dope those ends? Not interested in getting some fuel down the front of my dash. Gotta remember, this is a new venture for me, what may seem obvious to you may escape my thinking process. Thanks for the quick response. <br><br>~Dave
Old 12-29-2002, 09:23 AM

I used Rod's Stainless braided line also.<br>Same applies Dave, doped only the threads on the fittings, wiped off excess, no dope on sealing surfaces. No leaks in a year since install.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:00 AM

Excellent. Off to do my thing. Doesn't look rain. ;D<br><br>~Dave
Old 12-29-2002, 11:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You might have seen in the other thread, about &quot;Teflon Paste&quot;, which I got at Napa. I don't know if it's the same thing as pipe dope.<br>I installed a fuel isolator with my fuel pressure gauge so there will never be any fuel inside the cab. It's just a diaphram with fiitings on both sides.<br><br>Chris
Old 12-29-2002, 12:28 PM

Lots of different pipe dope out there, I am assuming you dont need to be told to get something that lists diesel on the label as some wont hold up to it. I would use a isolater and not bring it in the cab. Mine started leaking on one of my old trucks and I never could get the smell out of the cab.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:32 PM

Yep, it's teflon, diesel rated. All done. Everything checks out. Thanks for the help. Once again, DTR and the old DDO's came through (been building up the gauge information files since DDO days).<br><br>~Dave
Old 12-29-2002, 04:50 PM

Now, if you're like me, you're itchin' to go out cruisin' to see what kind of numbers you get off those gauges. I took an unwarranted trip into town today just to watch the pretty gauges. <br>I want to get the trailer hooked up and see what she'll do but am afraid to since I see what the fuel pressure is doing. I'm on top of getting that new fuel pump in there though.<br><br>Glad everything is working good.<br><br>Chris
Old 12-29-2002, 05:05 PM

All ready been out. ;D ;D See my posting regarding boost gauge question.<br><br>~Dave
Old 12-29-2002, 05:24 PM

Now that you have your guages installed, you'll have a harder time finding &quot;takers&quot; at the &quot;stop-light drag strip&quot;
They see the guages and back off.(except the &quot;ricers&quot;, they're too low, and too tinted to see 'em.)
Old 12-30-2002, 10:12 AM

Better views of guage installs.
Shovelhead's Toybox
Old 12-30-2002, 06:16 PM

[quote author=Shovelhead link=board=7;threadid=8918;start=0#86180 date=1041264771]<br>Better views of guage installs.<br>Shovelhead's Toybox<br>[/quote]<br><br>Gee, it asked me to log in. [undecided]<br><br>Chris
Old 12-30-2002, 06:56 PM

Dooooooh <br><br>try it again.

Quick Reply: Pipe Dope and Gauge installation