Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pinched the wastegate a little bit...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinched the wastegate a little bit...

Hey,

I've been throwing back the idea of pinching off my wastegate hose a little bit at a time until i get a little higher boost. Before I could only reach about 17 PSI at WOT. Right now I am seeing about 20PSI, and then way up in 3rd I will see 24PSI. I know that I am probably throwing an overboost code, however...Generally driving around, not WOT I will be around 15-20PSI...will that throw an overboost code? I do have a bit quicker pick up down low...then it defuels itself once i get above 20PSI probably(not that noticable..this is at WOT). But if im just cruising around 50-55mph and then slowly walk into it, it has a little quicker pick up since im making a bit more boost. Will this hurt anything, other than a stupid overboost code. And yes a programmer/chip will come eventually,lol

And im guessing I would have a little lower EGT's?

Thanks

Dinner
Old 07-20-2007, 02:12 PM

So, I'm confused. Did you pinch something off yet? On an auto you can't pinch it off. You have to use a turnbuckle or a J-hook. Correct me if I'm wrong.????
Old 07-20-2007, 03:57 PM
BBA

Yes you have to use a J-hook or turnbuckle on a auto. Or atleast as far as i know.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 PM

That's only true for trucks with HY35 turbos. My 99 is an auto and blocking off the wastegate was a piece of cake. I don't know about the codes though, because I already had a smarty.

Brad
Old 07-20-2007, 09:38 PM

I'm got mine completely blocked. but i have a drag edge comp, so that takes care of the over boost and defueling. I think that blocking it without some sort of boost fooling box will not get you anymore, maybe a spike for a second before it defuels. I think some one is selling a plug in boost fooler only"BD, Quad, etc" with out it the ecm will defuel when it see's above 19psi, throws a overboost code,there for lower you boost back to programed levels.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:32 AM

Hmm...i'm just fiddling around so i don't expect to gain huge/or anything at all for performance. There probably isn't much speed difference, and if there is it would be quicker, then probably slower. But being as I hardly drive around WOT, running 20PSI, there seems to be a little better RPM gain. Eventually I will get a box and all that jazz, but i need to fund in buying tools right now

6Wheeler, I thought that the top boost you could push stock was 20.8, or is that just what the wastegate is set at. I agree that the ECM will probably defuel once it sees over 19-20PSI, however I don't think that it brings it back down to around 19. If I haul on it, I can hit 25PSI and stay there until the TC locks on, then I drop down to about 20. I'm thinking that i'm going to time how long it takes me to get up to a certain speed with it like half plugged, and with it normal...just to see how much the truck will defuel itself.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:17 PM

Dinner, I thinks it hit and miss on the ecm defueling, in my experience. I ran for a couple of weeks waiting on my box to get back from edge. Sometime it would trip "CEL" and slow the truck and other times not. 19-20psi is about right for the waste gate I beleave. Mine would spike and to 23 and drop to 18 till i changed gears when stock. One more thing, you might want to check your intercooler boots for leaks, 3 out of 4 of mine were leaking badly under pressure. If you search you can find out how pressureize your system and use soapy water and spray the boots and look for bubbles.
Mine felt like there was space under the go peddle but it just wouldn't go, when it tripped. But each truck is different.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:27 PM

Thanks 6Wheeler, I havn't had my CEL come on, and once I get paid(i just started a new job) I will buy the parts needed to test my system. I think tomorrow morning i will mark out a spot on pavement and do different runs with it pinched and it not pinched just to see, and I will post up the results.