Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pillar mount question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pillar mount question(s)

Ok.. I've decided to go with a pillar mount for two gauges. I have a tweeter in the pillar now. Does the mount replace the existing plastic or is it just a cover that mounts over top of the existing plastic pillar trim? I've seen some pictures in some of the posts here that have exposed screw heads and don't really look too &quot;stock&quot; as far as esthetics go. What I would like to have is something that looks like the original trim but has gauge mounts in it. Too much to ask? Also, what size diameter gauges are used, 2&quot; or 3&quot;? I would like 3&quot; (old eyes) but something tells me...<br>One more thing.. Is the pyro sensor install as scary as it looks? I've had some bad experiences with pipe thread taps breaking and can feel my blood pressure rising at the thought of that one! I know.. GREASE!
Old 10-20-2002, 10:08 PM

Re:Pillar mount question(s)

Well, I'll give it a shot. You can get the pillars that cover or replace the entire A-pillar or some just attatch to the existing pillar and don't cover the whole thing. I went the last way 'cause it was cheapest. I used some SS button head allen screws to attatch the thing. Just left it black; dash is black, gauges part of the dash, so...(rationalization for not wanting to go to paint store). All the pillars I've seen take 2&quot; gauges.<br> Tapping the manifold wasn't a problem, once you find an extension to get down in there ( I used a 3/8&quot; socket extension and drove it with a crescent wrench. Not very machinist like, but with a little care it worked. Sharpened up a drill bit too.). A 1/8&quot; NPT is a fairly sturdy tap as long as you keep backing out to clear chips. The material taps fairly easily, although I was suprised to get some actual chips instead of cast iron &quot;dust&quot; or &quot;sand&quot;. Almost like a malleable iron. All in all, it was one of those things that was sort of anti-climactic when actually done.<br> Now ask me how fun it is to splice wires in the main loom where it runs through the firewall. Not very. I snagged a couple while using a coathanger to fish the new wires through, as per the directions. I should have gone with my instincts and used a piece of 14 ga. or something a little gentler as a pull string.<br> Total time was about 6 hours including fun with splicing and a couple wrong attempts on the gauge light dimming.<br> The real heck of it is I do DC electrical work as part of my job! Probably best if I didn't try this stuff at midnight after a long day.<br><br>Rob
Old 10-20-2002, 10:13 PM

Rob,<br>Thanks for the info. Any brand names available for the pillar replacement types?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:01 PM

[quote author=rattle_rattle link=board=7;threadid=6097;start=0#55403 date=1035170032]<br>Rob,<br>Thanks for the info. Any brand names available for the pillar replacement types?<br>[/quote]<br><br>I have an autometer 3-guage pillar w/tweeter and I really like it.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:32 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I also have the Autometer and I put mine together forgetting to hook up the ground wire to one of my gauges. The clean little pushpins that hold it in place got damaged trying to remove it. I emailed autometer and 3 days later had a brand new set in my hand free of charge. can't beat that kind of service.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:30 PM

Could one of you guys post a picture with the Autometer pillar with the tweeter in it. I would just like to see what the final install will look like before going through with it. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:50 PM

here's mine...
Old 10-28-2002, 04:35 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Tony Tony Tony...your boost and other readings all look a bit low.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:40 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scotty, <br>I wouldn't talk till you got your head on straight...LOL.. <br><br><br>J-eh
Old 10-28-2002, 07:14 PM

here's mine. i drilled 3 holes and use the push-in snaps over the existin pillar. i still haven't painted it yet though.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:37 PM

[quote author=Scotty link=board=7;threadid=6097;start=0#58514 date=1035844547]<br>Tony Tony Tony...your boost and other readings all look a bit low. <br>[/quote]<br><br>LMAO... should've known better and started it up...
Old 10-29-2002, 10:38 AM
KC

What kind of cost, I have the tweeter as well and would like 3 gauges.<br><br>KC
Old 10-29-2002, 10:51 AM

I bought all my stuff at www.egauges.com -- of course they are only up the street from my work, so I could just go pick them up! ;D You can also go to www.genosgarage.com and get them! They have outstanding service!<br><br>Tony
Old 10-29-2002, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the two gauge pod and left it black to match the rest of the gauges. I would not do the pod again if I had it to do over with. Have hit my hand and fingers on it more times than I care to coment on and my eyes are partially crossed from looking at the too close gauges. Would definately go with the dash gauges if I do it again. The stock tweeter stays right in place.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:15 PM

i paid $274 for my setup from DIS www.dieselpage.com- pillar, pyro, boost 0-60, and trans temp.

Quick Reply: Pillar mount question(s)