Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pillar Gauge Pod--Blind Spot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I originally bought a dash mount pod cause I thought these trucks had a bad enough blind spot as it was, BUT, the dash pod took away more visibilty than the pillar pod did. Not necassarily a blind spot persay, but obstructed the view of the left front corner of the truck more than I wanted. Go with the A-pillar pod. OH, BTW, Autometer makes a pod that sits in the center of the dash up against the windshield. I have one I'd sell ya if ya like that option better.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:33 PM

Hinks said "... Go with the A-pillar pod. OH, BTW, Autometer makes a pod that sits in the center of the dash up against the windshield. I have one I'd sell ya if ya like that option better..."

I'd like to try it Hinks...is this the kind of generic, 3 gauge pod,attaches with velcro?
looks lower profile than the usual dash pod

I think I'm going to buy my gauges from Diesel Manor, to get the most complete package...Maybe I'll get the A Pillar in the package...

and buy your dash model to try it out...

How much are you asking? (or pm me, thanks)

barngal6
Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 PM

sent u a PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:32 PM

Yeah i have a 2 gauge pillar pod and i really like it. I couldn't stand having a dash pod. It would be more of a blind spot than anything i would think.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by barngal6
Researching Gauge Pods...

somewhere read that A Pillar Pods cause some kind of blind spot
or vision obstruction?

Interested in a dash mount but they look like they stick up a little high?

would appreciate your experience...
Yeah the one i have does... its a digital one with the display looking somewhat like this

Trans 123 Pyro 560 Turbo 45.9

but i still like it....

best way to go is with the gauges that go up where your temp and compass is, just PM me if you want a link for it

by the way i maybe selling it
Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 PM

I'm 6 foot and sit centered on the seat. I can see most of the black edge on the windshield. If I were to lean towards the window then it puts a larger blindspot.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny, I hardly notice the gauges there at all. What are we looking at when the gauges get in the way?? I am seriously wondering because i have not noticed one problem having the gauges on the pillar. ????
Old 02-04-2008, 12:57 AM

I hardly notice them, too. When I ordered mine, I was wondering about if they would cause a blind spot problem...they don't. It's not that they don't stick out a little, but, it's so small you have to consciously look at them as opposed to look around them.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM

Wow, I have the empty pillar in the truck and it annoys me to no end- of course after 3 years of driving with the empty pillar (I know- I just never got around to getting the gauges) I am used to it, but I like the idea of the dash mount. Anyone with the dash mount that can shoot pics??

That A pillar blind spot can swallow a complete car!! You just have to remember to look around it.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I had the three gauge setup on the A pillar on my '99 and it always seemed"in my face". I went with the Westach combo gauge in the SRT-10 pillar on my '07. I always felt the dashmounts created an obstacle to vision also. My $.02.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by justme-
That A pillar blind spot can swallow a complete car!! You just have to remember to look around it.
Had that exact thing happen today. And it has happened before. I try to always remember to look around it.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Banned

Here is a link to mine with a dash pod and a pillar pod for you.You can decide which is better.......Andy

Old 02-15-2008, 09:51 AM

Ahh, I see. Yeah, the dash mount is much worse! That sucks-- I had high hopes for it. I push snow and definitely need to see that front left corner.

Well, time to design my own dash mount......
Thanks Hammer!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 AM

The blindspot from the factory is a little harsh. The triple pillar didnt increase it too much. Like everyone said you get used to it or you dont. I like having the gauges on the pillar tho.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Blind spot does get bigger with pillar mounts, add the window rain cover things and it gets worse. I find my self looking around it alot. My wife complains about it everytime she drives the truck.

So on the Excursion, her one comment was that I couldn't put gauges on the pillar... So I got a 4 gauge pod that goes above the rearview mirror. Up and out of the way, but easy to read if needed... Keep in mind if you go this route, all of your wiring, boost line, EGT lines, etc will need to be longer to reach. The normally supplied stuff won't work...

Quick Reply: Pillar Gauge Pod--Blind Spot?