Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A-Pillar gauge mount sight problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-Pillar gauge mount sight problems

Well, Im about to dive in and buy my gauge set: fuel pressure, pyro and trans temp. I wanted to put the gauges in the overhead, but I do not like the aftermarket mounts, and am too lazy to make up my own right now, so it looks like the simplest place and least intrusive as far as drilling holes for a "temporary" mount( It will probably turn into a permanent anyway) is the a pillar. My only concern is the blind spot in front, if there will be one. I have never been in a truck with the a-pillar gauges and was hoping some of you fella's with them would let me know if they do get in the way at all looking through the front windshield. Any problems with the lighting being intrusive at night? I plan on putting green bulb covers to at least sort of match the factory gauges. Any other comments about them, I'm ready to hear it. Thanks in advance
Old 01-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't block much more than the stock pillar does, and the lighting isn't intrusive at all.

phox
Old 01-08-2006, 08:21 PM

yeah i cnat even notice mine anymore and have only had them in from arond thanksgiving
Old 01-08-2006, 08:42 PM

It won't block anymore than the stock. I just looked at mine yesterday for that very purpose, as I saw a post were somone was concerned about blocked veiw and the gauges actually fit in the blind spot you already have nicely. The thing I like about the pillar mount is it easier to glance to the left to monitor gauges then looking up or on to the dash while driving.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys have all most convienced me that is the way to go..........keep talking I am leaning towards a whole new dash bezel.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Chapter President

I dont even notice and the lights dont bother me. I love them on the pillar could'nt see through it anyway.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:52 PM

I jsut wish there was a triple mount for the pillar that mounted below the handle so I could keep it...
Old 01-08-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
If the lighting was a distraction, you could install a separate dimmer **** just for your pillar gauges.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:07 PM

I just put the "A" pillar 3 guage mount in mine.. I don't have a problem with blind spots... BUT I do have a problem with me being blind.. I can see fine at a distance but have to wear reading glasses or keep things at arms length (welcome to middle age)... The top Guage is very close to me and as I look at it the numbers are blurry..

Gerry
Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 PM

I have mine in for a long time now and I really don't notice them at all. If you are going to make the pillar permanent, I would consider to get your pillar dipped. Dipped is like a coating, such as wood grain, a carbon fiber look. My friends dad can put rebel flags, american flags, different colors that suits you. I had my dash dipped, wood grain. It was for free too.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:14 PM

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm gonna drop the cash in the next day or two. I'll post up some pics when I get 'em installed. Gotta get some of the truck now that I've started "making it mine," up too. Thanks again
Old 01-09-2006, 12:06 AM

I just put a 3 guage pillar pod on my truck. So far it is easy to see and not a distraction. Just have to adjust the focals to actually read the numbers, The multi colored guages are much easier to "read" at a glance at my age
Old 01-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Banned

My 3 gauge pillar never really bothered me. My 4 gauge pillar is a little more of a PIA to see around but nothing bad. Just takes getting used to.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:19 AM

I just installed mine, and I didn't notice that much of a difference in the blind spot. For the record I am only 5'-1" and have the seat almost all the way forward. For the lighting, I tapped into a factory, variable voltage wire, so mine brighten and dim with the factory cluster. I also painted the housing with factory vinyl die to match the interior.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Banned

greasemonki,

If you think it 'll bother you get the overhead mount that goes up by the headliner. They are totally out of the way and easy to see too. Our sales of them has risen to a point that they sell almost as often as the A pillar mounts.

Mark @ DPPI

Quick Reply: A-Pillar gauge mount sight problems