Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pics of my twins project

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cyric, I'm going to say you cant use both. If you're just butting the pipes together and welding your asking for problems. The crap left over from welding with a mig is going to chew your turbo up.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THANKS CYRIC I HAVE A MIG WELDER AND I ALSO DEAL WITH McMASTER CARR ALL THE TIME.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM

No offense but I am gonn clean everything out good before I start it up so i should be just fine using a mig welder.
Joe
Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish you the best of luck. I've personally seen what all those little dingle ***** can do to a turbo. If they do enough damage to the compressor wheel they will whipe it out.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

I think the problem would come from how well the pipe was actually butted together more than anything. If both edges to the two joining pipes were cut 100% straight then next to nothing should get inside. The worst thing would be if you happened to burn through and had to fill in the hole, but since your using a mig it shouldn't be a problem. $.02
Old 01-31-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by cyric
No offense but I am gonn clean everything out good before I start it up so i should be just fine using a mig welder.
Joe
i think you will be fine too, the tubing is large enough you should be able to get in there with ease to make sure nothung is in there that shouldn't be. maybe "fogging" the inside of the tubing with anti spatter spray would be a good idea too, keeps anything that gets in there from welding from sticking to the inside of the pipeing. to bad you wern't in calgary i have a lincon 135 mig, it works great, i also have it set up to do aluminum welding and i'm getting pretty good at it,i love welding shoulda persued it for a living.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Ok I thought I should update this. I had to put the project on hold because I needed my truck, so while it was on hold I did some thinking and rethinking. I decided not to use that s310 turbo and opted for a bigger s400. I have been working on the piping and got some of it done I need to put everything on the truck so I can fab the rest up, but alas I can't afford to have my truck down at the moment. Anyways here are a few pics of the redesign.
Joe
Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey cyric if you want even better spool u can go with a k31 on the bottom it will aid in spool and its wastegated. it is switchable with the s400 charger you just have to move the exhaust forward
Old 04-12-2007, 09:20 AM

I always use a mig on mine. I make inserts that go inside the pipe to hold them in place. Then I weld over the seam. You can turn up the heat without blowing dingleberries into the interior. Fewer leaks also. Makes it alot easier to do the job by yourself.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 PM
The Guru

Nice job with the home made twins. The only that I have to add is I would add a brace to prevent the air tube from blowing off. I think that you should be ok, but it would prevent that boom sound. Also how are you planning on bracing the bottom turbo? I made a home made brace off the engine mount. It works pretty good.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I thought about a k31 for the bottom charger but they are a lot more money so I opted for a plain s400. I like the idea of the machined rings to align the pipe. Wish I would have thought of that. I have a support for the bottom charger. Didnt you see my bucket. Seriously I have a bracket that comes of the motor mount bolts. Thanks for all the help guys, and feel free to keep the ideas rolling.
Joe
Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 AM
The Guru

Did you weld any rings around the ends of the tube to hold the hose onto? At 50psi, at slippery air tube will pop-off. Each of my air tubes have a welded bead so you can keep the boost inside the air tube.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

Now why would you want to keep the boost inside the air tube.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Looking good
Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 PM

Ok I thought I would update this a bit. I finally got the twins on the truck and had it running tonight. But wouldn't you know I have some big boost leaks. I cant make any boost. I pressurized the system and found a big leak at the flange of the primary. ( Tried to use the wrong v-band clamp) I will stop and get the right one tomorrow after work. I will get some pictures posted as soon as I take them. I know it has taken a long time to get these on the truck but I had a few porijects in between. I built a few steering stabilizers and then 6 sets of ladder bars (still have 2 sets to finish). I should really finish one project before I start the next. I ended up running the hx 35 over a big Garret.
Joe

Quick Reply: Pics of my twins project