Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Picking a new tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mean a bit more expensive.... yes.
With more replacement/billit parts, that would not be unreasonable. Everyone may not need what (I believe) is a stronger rebuild.

RJ
Old 07-25-2009, 07:28 PM

Full billet build with a lifetime converter from Goerend is $2000 less than DTT.

Remember, they use the same parts!!

I just got done pricing them all.
Goerend
HTS
DTT
Suncoast
Ats

Goerend and HTS came in about the same, everyone else was not even close.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by dieselman2300
Remember, they use the same parts!!
Sorry but I don't believe that is always true.
I was told by experienced builder that has worked on both.... that other rebuilds with same upgraded/replaced parts as a DTT, would be within $200.00+/- of DTT's price.
This statement sounded believable and more importantly... logical, since the labor involved is pretty much identical.
But the price difference between Goerand, HTS and DTT, in my part of the country is nowhere near $2,000.

And,I do believe, for towing and moderate playing hard... any of these three are quality built trannys.

RJ
Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stationarycoppe
My transmission is getting tired and old and I need a new one. My problem is I have no clue how built of a transmission I need to get or if i even need a built one. I don't drag race, don't sled pull, and don't pull anything over a 25ft gooseneck or a stock trailer. I do drive mainly city and I plan on keeping my truck a long time. My mods are listed in my signature and I have no plans on more upgrades, at most a new turbo or a different tuner. Any help on this would be appreciated. opinions facts stories I just need advice. I am in the Oklahoma city area if that makes a difference. Thanks
I don't know if you have made a decision on this yet, but I will throw in my .02...
I think you should get a built tranny regardless of the HP you are shooting for; they put the power you have to the ground so much more efficiently it's almost scary. Which builder you choose is up to you really, they are all good if you stick to the ones mentioned above who specialize in our trucks.
Good luck.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 PM

My vote is Goerend. Us MD guys have put in quite a few of these different trans and the Goerend is the only one we've never had an issue with. Quality and customer service is totally worth it. I love mine.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM

Suncoast converters & trans

Love mine 7,500 installed
Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 PM

I am amazed at the response I got from this post. Thanks to all. I still haven't decided, I got about a month before I get back in country. I was hoping for a cut and dry "this ones the best" but its not that easy. How much is a built tranny running? Depending on what billet you get. Also I thought ATS would be mentioned more with their 500k 5 year warranty.... am I missing something about them. I am looking for opinions and not trying to start a flame war.
Thanks again for all the help and opinions on this.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:53 PM

I've been inside a few ATS trannys and wasn't that impressed. They do a good build, but only moderate to poor VB work.

DTT or Garmon.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:46 AM

^^ I've also heard that their trannies are hit and miss. Might last you the full life time, or 5000 Miles before the internals fail. JMO, but that is what set me away from them...I don't want to be on the road and have the truck/tranny quit and leave me stranded, then have to worry about the hassle to get it fixed.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by stationarycoppe
.. I was hoping for a cut and dry "this ones the best" but its not that easy.
What your getting is 3-4 options and many positive comments from users of each. That's good! Hasn't always been that way.
When I did mine in 03... there were only two well known choices and no one that had many miles of use to verify manufacturers claims!
One of those two (the one you ask about) has not had great success... luckily, I chose correctly.

You were very clear about your uses and HP level in your original post!
Only other option is to go full blown rebuild and compare builders and prices! Not mentioned yet but having a builder in your area is a big plus.
Full rebuild is not a bad choice. Allows you to take your truck wherever you want, in the future, while ignoring tranny issues for next 200-250,000 miles.