Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Performance thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance thoughts

I'm new to the Diesel world. I just bought a 1995 4x4 1 ton. It has a AT ugh but the price was really good. I'm pulling a fifth wheel trailer about 9,000lbs. I've been reading all the threads on performance options now I'm even more confused. With what I got, I'm wondering what you all might recomend that I do to increase performance. Will boosting it up to any harm to the transmission? It has about 120K on it. I looked at the Banks Stinger Plus but from what I have been reading not the best option. Also looking at putting in some gauges. What is suggested?
I'm a novice to diesels so would need something that is fairly easy to do!
Thanks again
Old 07-15-2005, 10:06 AM

I am not really gonna chime in hear because I have an 01, and hardly any knowledge trucks of different years, but I will offer a friendly suggestion.

I got creamed when I first used this sight around a year ago, I don't want you to go through the same thing.

Fill out your signature so the veterans of this site (meaning long haulers) will know what they are dealing with.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:13 AM

welcome aboard

Do a set of gages, then a #10 torque plate and a 3gsk. These all come with good instructions and can be bought for around $500. You will not believe the differance and a stock tranny will hold up if it is in decent shape. Be sure that the tranny has been serviced. Then do some reading on here and do whatever else you need to calm the addiction of the bomb bug.

bomb = better of moddified baby
Old 07-15-2005, 10:15 AM

Start with at least 3 gauges (boost/pryo/tranny) and go from there.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Thanks Happy GA for the heads up . Will work on it.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:41 AM

For towing, I would look into getting a new torque converter and possibly a valve body or at least a shift kit for the tranny. It will help protect the tranny itself and make it last longer. This is only if its still in good shape and has been taken care of.

Get guages boost/pyro/tranny temp. I would at least get a tranny temp so you can see how its doing especially when towing. this way if you don't fry it and then you can go from there. If its getting hot you can look into a really big cooler, or its telling you that you need a new TC and or a VB kit.

I would just really look into protecting the tranny so you don't have to have a full rebuild at least for a while
Old 07-15-2005, 10:59 AM

A 10 plate is way too much to pull 9000. Get the gauges, do the trans.....maybe a 5,6 or 8..... A governor spring kit...I d do the 4000 gsk and put an exhuast brake on pulling 9000....cause you want to stop it too. Plus when your pulling that extra rpm keeps it in power longer and the egt lower.

1. gauges (boost, egt, trans temp)
2. trans atleast service
3. 4 inch exhuast (exhuast brake)
4. 4000 gsk
5. fuel plate (Id guess a #8)
6. water injection... to keep egts low (I sell these now BTW)
Old 07-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Get thee to the nearest #10 fuel cam plate, as Sharpmachine mentioned. IMO, a #10 will be just fine on a 160 hp pump - it won't be too much. A boost, pyro and trans temp gauge are a good place to start. If you are a do it yourself kind of guy, you could also grind your plate to a #100 profile and block the wastegate.....there is a lot of info on here about plate grinding and pics of the #100 profile. Eventually, you will be into some tranny mods......a good converter and a shift kit will take you a long way if the tranny is currently in good shape.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by HappyGA
I got creamed when I first used this sight around a year ago, I don't want you to go through the same thing.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:53 PM

Some good advice has been offered. I have the Bank's Stinger Plus installed and some other items to further enhance performance. The install of the 3k-GSK was a big improvement in truck's performance particularly when towing. I tow 10m lbs.
Had I found this site a few months earlier than I did I wouldn't have installed the Bank's since you can do as well or better for less $. I would , however say the Bank's stuff performs well , it's just costly.
In any case get the gauges , ie. boost/egt/trans temp. I learned about trans temp the hard way.Lots of $$$.
Best of luck on your truck mods. Welcome to this site, it is great.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:00 PM

Water injection??
Good for the early 24V?
I have heard of these but never seen anyone run them. I have also looked into propane but it is dang expensive. What should one expect to pay for water?? WHat kind of performance gains will you see?? No detination?? Please explain.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water, Propane, NOS are all expensive upgrades that I feel are not for the everyday drivers.. You can get a respecatable 4-500 Hp without any of that stuff.

As far as the 95 with a #10 and Auto.... .My Father-in-law has that exact setup with the 3KGSK and its a really nice combo for towing. With the stock auto its just fine and with a plate install, you can tune the fuel back if you are getting too much Hp to the stock tranny.

Another good upgrade is in the air intake department if you're towing. We both have the SAII and it saves you at least 150°F EGT. On a long hard grade, thats nice to have, you can pull harder and longer than those with a BHAF (had one) or other systems.

IMHO...J-eh
Old 07-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Thx Lil Dog
I will go ahead and scratch that for thought. If it is not for use with a daily driver it does me no good what so ever. However I did know a guy that ran propane on a 93 cummins all the time and he seemed to like it.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Propane is fine, I know its a popular upgrade for most guys and is nothing new. Just nowadays with the technology for injectors etc etc, you can get better returns and don't have to carry the extra fuel cell. For the money on a propane system with all the controls, lines, jets and tank you can get a pretty nice box for your 24V, fuel plate for your 12V or just tune up your VE pump for free. I had a 93 and was at a dyno event years ago where they were adventing the propane system on a 93. I had more power to the ground and spent $0 on upgrades other than time with the pump.. Anyhow, off topic...

I don't mean to discount them as upgrades, just its nice not to have to worry about the level of "boost additive" you have when you are towing down the road or whatever. If you need the extra burst of 100hp, then its nice to have.

Water/Meth gets more involved and I have not seen it in normal street use. Too much water you can get hydraulic lock at high RPM.... Not good..

My $0.02..
Old 07-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Re: Performance thoughts

Originally posted by gerryvan
I'm new to the Diesel world. I just bought a 1995 4x4 1 ton. It has a AT ugh but the price was really good. I'm pulling a fifth wheel trailer about 9,000lbs. I've been reading all the threads on performance options now I'm even more confused. With what I got, I'm wondering what you all might recomend that I do to increase performance. Will boosting it up to any harm to the transmission? It has about 120K on it. I looked at the Banks Stinger Plus but from what I have been reading not the best option. Also looking at putting in some gauges. What is suggested?
I'm a novice to diesels so would need something that is fairly easy to do!
Thanks again
1st thing I would suggest is to run your vin number on these two sites to see if any recalls and tech service has been done http://www.alldata.com/recall/make http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/...m%28%27R%27%29 Then if all checks out well. Start by checking that you are using all your fueling capabilties that are stock,ie the throttle cable not streched [ I had a 94 that I worked on that would not fuel more than 80% cause of cable stretch]], the throttle arm is opening all the way. Next I would start with the air in and exhaust out, A better air filter system, and free flowing exhaust. Then see if you like the way the truck pulls and if you want more go to the Transsmision as any more it will not last,then the gauges,fuel plate,timing,gov spring kit etc. etc Goodluck and Welcome aboard.... Rick...... Now get out the wallet!!!

Quick Reply: Performance thoughts