Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

performance stuff questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance stuff questions

i have a 2000 3/4 ton 4x4 that is basically stock, i have added a 4" exhaust from the turbo back with no muffler. i also have a holley blue pump with pressure gauge installed. i am looking into the following add's and would like some feedback on which to use. i want to put a cold air intake on, maybe adding a "chip" or programmer, and also putting in a pod setup with pyro,boost, and trans temp gauge. i don't use the truck for heavy hauling, i tow a 16' flatbed trailer every once in a while. mainly use the truck for back and forth to work (70 miles round trip) and running to the local building supply or steel yard. it is my daily driver and i use it alot for my "other hobby" which is surf fishing at pins on the texas coast. any feedback would be appreciated and i should add that i don't want some real high dollar do everything gizmo things. i want the truck to retain it's dependability over lighting your hair on fire and peel your skin off speed, my days of that are over long ago. but i do like thmping a ford every now and again.........
thanks in advance for your input.
here is what i was looking at so far-
airaid cold air and k&n cold air intakes
programmers- diablo puck, bullydog, ?
gauges- found a few on ebay that would fit the bill.....
Old 11-23-2007, 03:52 PM

I think the best intake system is from AFE.

I have always used Edge products, except for a short period were I ran a Smarty.

For gauges I would contact Eric at http://www.vulcanperformance.com no one can touch his prices or service. Thats a fact!

Have fun, figure out where you want to be as far as HP and TQ, do some research and then spend your money. There is a ton of info and someone has experience with any product you can come up with.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy used and save big, look in the classifieds. I ran an Edge EZ as my first power adder, worked great. Cold air intakes are for cool factor only with the amount of power you're looking at adding, you could throw in a BHAF or just stay stock until you're over 350HP. Put the money towards a new reel or something.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AFE is a great intake & highly recommended over others on this site. If you just want a nice performance gain & great driveability, I would get a Quadzilla XZT+ as it is affordable, with a great gain in power [70hp]. It has 3 position toggle switch for switch on the fly.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 PM

a few people have warned me on the programmer that it would melt my auto. trans- any thoughts on this? truck has 185k on it. with diesel getting in the upper reaches like it is, will this increase the fuel mileage or hurt it. the only thing i drive with a heavy foot is the "jyd" (my fire truck). my dodge gets life pretty easy for the most part, but i would like a little more when needed.
thanks again for the replies, really helps.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:34 PM

No need for an intake with stock fueling unless you just want to hear some whistle A fuel system/ pusher pump/ line kit should be right at the top of the list.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 PM

i agree the fuel system first so you dont fry your vp44, then chip.