Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Performance module, unneccesary stress?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance module, unneccesary stress?

So the bug is finally getting the better of me. I told myself when I bought this truck in November, no bombing, but I want just a little more power . I am looking at the Quadzilla and a few other mild and adjustable modules, but am wondering what if any stresses these put on the trucks. Does the addition of a box like the quadzilla put the lift pump, to (more) work? What about any other components I am not thinking of. I'm not too worried about the engine itself, because, again, it will be a mild box.
It may be a somewhat ignorant question, if so, my apologies. Am I putting more unneccesary strain on my truck(with a box), just so i can grin a little bigger when I hit the go go pedal?
I am saving my pennies for an upgraded vb and tc, so my tranny can still be somewhat happy with me, but after those additions, i'm lookin into mo' powa'!
Thanks in advance for the input
Old 07-07-2006, 12:07 PM

The tranny is the weak link, they don't like bombs very much without upgrades. I would say that if you don't act retarded you will be alright just with a box tho
Old 07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Banned

Well it's still up in the air whether the boxes actually harm the injector pumps or the lift pumps....some say yes other say no. Anytime you start adding more power you risk shortening the life of something.

The lift pumps in these trucks are junk, they go out rather often and people usually upgrade to bigger and better pumps to help maintain good fuel pressure to keep the injector pump nice and happy!

First thing I'd do is get a fuel pressure gauge, that will prevent a lot of money going out your window having to fix stuff. And while you are at it, get a EGT gauge as well, don't wanna melt the pistons with the new found power!!

And yes, as said above, the tranny is the weakest link......but sounds like you are already planning on upgrading some so that is a HUGE plus.

But other than that, the box isn't going to hurt anything motor wise, just the fuel issues are the biggest concern.

~Nick
Old 07-07-2006, 03:36 PM

first purchase I made was gauges: fp, pyro and trans temp. Just like you said, I didnt want money to fly out the window because I didnt know something was going wrong.
Thanks guys for the input so far, I'm still up in the air as to whether I'll bomb it
Old 07-07-2006, 03:50 PM

Yea Baby

Go for the Gusto!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 04:37 PM

Im not as imformed as some on this site but I have been trying it all. And I think the best thing I did (besides gauges and a fass) was Injectors. I put the injectors in so I didnt have to rely on the vp44 to give all of the extra fuel needed for more power. With the TsT 3 I felt that I was stressing the pump more than with just injectors. Now the box is just there for fun( silly ricers ) .
Again some of the more informed guy's will chime in Im sure.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There can be no debate on whether or not more HP increased the stress on the engine and everything it drives. It most certainly does. Period. If there was no downside to more HP, then Cummins wouldn't offer so many different ratings for the same 5.9L QSB/ISB engine

The question is, how much, and at what point can the pieces no longer cope with the stress. That, and which pieces?

Even with only mild BOMBs (timing box and 75hp sticks) I noticed that my pilot bearing was making some bad noises when I lug it (like slowly rolling out in 3rd gear from 1100 rpm or so after a rolling slowdown/stop)

After installing the new clutch and super duper roller pilot bearing (TK75 from Quad4x4), the sound was gone.

The sad reality is that the rest of the truck is not nearly as tough as the Cummins is, though they are pretty decent. You just have to know its limits and respect them, or address them to remove/relocate the limits.

JMO
Old 07-07-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember theres no cure for the BOMB bug! next thing you know you will be buying trucks just to BOMB
Old 07-07-2006, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fueling boxes definately have the potential to harm the VP44, especially the Drag Comp and the Red Line. There's no pump warranty when the wire's been tapped.