Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

PE4200 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PE4200 Question

Have any of you guys running this pump noticed that when it is really cold outside, the pressure drops for a while? I don't trust my gauge at all really (waiting to sell my subs so I can get a mechanical one) but it kinda works. Thanks for the help yall.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:47 AM

Sure its not your grid heater bumpin on and off? I have a 4200 too and live north of houston, so i figure im getting the same temps as you. I havent noticed any drop in pressure since it went cold again, but i can hear a difference in the pump's sound when the grid heater starts and stops. I have an isolator hooked to a mechanical gauge...... sometimes i dont trust it either just out of curiosity hows your pump doing? pressure? reliability?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned

As far as I can tell, it's doing alright. Last time I had a mechanical gauge hooked up to it it was reading 22 at idle (digital gauge said it was over 30). It's working. That's all I know. I'm trying hard to get the money saved up to buy a full time mechanical gauge so I can keep a much better eye on it. I'm sure it's not the grid heater. The pressure stays down for a good 10 minutes and then comes back on. I'm in College Station right now. And this is the 3rd time it's done it to me. I'm hoping it's not getting ready to bite the dust. I can't afford to be without my truck for any length of time and I don't have the money to replace it. I need to get my Holley working again so I can ship my PE pump off and have the recall fix done to it.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:29 PM

yeah im on my fourth one.... they've kicked to bucket differently each time so far, none died with the symptoms your describing though. hopefully with this last one the bugs are worked out. at the moment im getting 15psi steady with a build up to 20psi in traffic.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Banned

That's a relief. Supposedly, they are recalling all the PE4200 pumps and are putting a new bypass and something else on them. All for free. You just pay shipping there.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Muted User

yeah ours jumps too when first started we only have about 10 psi. about 10 min. later its normal whats this about the recall?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Banned

That's the exact pressure mine goes to. Takes about that long to get back up to. I wonder if plugging the truck in would make any difference. The recall is real easy. Call them up and tell them you are shipping the pump back to them for the replacement by-pass and cartridge (it's actually an update).
Old 01-20-2004, 09:19 PM

PE4200

I saw the same readings of getting a higher PSI after about 10 minutes. I think mine died this morning driving to work. PSI went to 5.5 PSI at best and when I went to get on it the guage went to reading negative. Looks like some warranty work and buy a backup pump.

Todd
Old 01-20-2004, 09:58 PM
Banned

Don't tell me that.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:09 PM

BigBlue, Its most likely the grid heaters, when they come on mine drops to about 5psi or so... nothing to really be worried about unless you plan on running your truck at WOT before it warmed up.... which is a no no.

Horace
Old 01-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Banned

I didn't realize they drew that much current. Would it help if I plugged the truck in?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:50 AM

Thats how mine acted and then it died.......

Doug
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Banned

That's not what I wanted to hear. I was afraid of that. Looks like it's time to get my Holley in working order again.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:45 AM

BB,

I just got your PM, but figured I'd answer here. The pressure fluctuation is in the bypass spring. There are two options... 1) pull the spring out and stretch it 3/16" - 1/4", or 2) turn the bottom bypass plate around backwards (this is more permanent). Dad has had mega problems with his 2 PE pumps... both have failed twice in the motor section. I can't figure out what is going wrong with them, but it's definitely electrical (brushes, armature, etc.) One armature has lost continuity, but the other will run for a short while and then hang a brush. Pulling the brushes apart, cleaning it, and reassembling the pump gets it running again. We've since pulled off the PE and gone to a dual pump setup... simple, cheap, effective, and quiet. I just don't think the PE is a good long term solution. If you run one, carry a backup!

John
Old 01-21-2004, 10:57 AM

A 3/16" stretch on the spring brought my current PE pump from 5psi to 15psi. I spoke with the PE people and they said that the newer motors run at a much lower temp (i think it was from 100 deg to 75 deg) so they may have fixed the motor problems.....we should have group prayer meetings

Quick Reply: PE4200 Question