Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

PDR Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 03:09 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search on heat rejection and color of radiators. It will save me a ton of typing trying to explain and you can read it from multiple sources.

The black paint should be flat and should not be layered on too thick, or like you said the insulation effect can take place.

There is also radiator specific paint for this very reason.

Don~
Old 09-26-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, while I don't disagree that black may be a better heat exchanging color (thermal emissivity?) but I do disagree that paint will help the core over the unfinished aluminum. Would it be possible you are confusing this with black anodizing? In that case the anodizing of a radiator actually improves the performance of it over unfinished but by painting it black it'd be like insulating the end tanks and anywhere else the paint touches. I could be wrong but I don't think any thickness of paint on heat exchangers is viewed as a good thing.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:55 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a quick search and see for yourself.

Look for "radiator, black paint, and heat rejection".

I cant believe this is actually being contested.

Don~
Old 09-26-2004, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I read up more on this and everyone uniamously agreed that black is better than raw aluminum for heat transfer but as to the losses involved with anodizing and painting wasn't certain. Painting was generally considered worse than anodizing as far as hampering the heat transfer goes, but a major core manufacturer (Spearco) apparently markets an intercooler paint. I never knew anoziding hurt the heat transfer coefficient so much, I thought it was just a colored layer of aluminum....

On the heat conductance issue, I believe that the anodize coating will have a lower heat conductance. I say this based on the fact that the coating is porous. However, the anodic coating is very thin and I would be surprised if it has a noticable impact in your application. Certainly paint, because it is much thicker and less dense, would reduce conductance even more.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Check out the Eastwood catalog for their radiator paint.... Wonder why it's different than other paint, and goes on in really thin coats??

jlh