Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Painting Pillar Pods Grey?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Pillar Pods Grey?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good color to match the stock grey interior on a '96. It is not the charcoal type of grey, its' more of a light grey. I was planning on getting some spray paint from a hobby store since that stuff is designed to stick to plastic. Any tips for prepping or mistakes avoid? Maybe I should use some of that interior dye for doing dashes and stuff? Any help would be great so I can get this sucker done today.<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 01-02-2003, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Painting Pillar Pods Grey?

I went to the dealer and got a small spray can that matches. It only costs $9, it matches pretty well.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:28 AM

Hay John go to an autobody supply store an they can mix just the right color for you from your codes on the truck, they can also put it in an aresol spray can for you. thats how i did mine. turned out great. cost about $12.00 but worth it.<br> Bob
Old 01-02-2003, 07:36 PM

Did the same as mechanic perfect match looks almost like it came from the factory that way! ;D
Old 01-02-2003, 09:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got mine mixed at the paint store. The guy told me to make sure the paint sticks, I should wipe it down with a cloth dampened, but not soaked, with laquer thinner just before shooting it. This would make the pain stick forever. I had my dad do it since he's the painter in the family. He said he wiped it down, and it looks great. Mine is light &quot;Camel&quot; though.<br><br>And BTW, there are no codes specifying the paint color of the interior. I went through that, found several suspect tags, and was told by several people that it doesn't exist, since none of the code could be matched to paint books, including one who claimed to be a Chryco service manager.<br><br>Chris
Old 01-02-2003, 10:16 PM

I just tonight finished putting in a 3 guage pillar pod and had to paint it. I got a small can of gray from Dodge Dealer. Matched perfect and came out great......<br><br>Good Luck<br>
Old 01-02-2003, 11:21 PM

Sounds like a can of grey from the ******* is the way to go. I'll get on that next week. ;D<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 01-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

atc250r:<br><br>I have the same color interior that you do. I painted<br>my 3-gauge pod awhile ago, but here is the Dodge/Mopar<br>part number off of the can: #4504706.<br><br>Hope this will help you. I don't think the number has<br>changed. The factory paint matches real well!<br><br>-------<br>John_P
Old 01-03-2003, 07:54 AM

I went to the local auto body paint supply store. They had spray cans of SEM Flexible Interior Paint (this stuff is made for painting plastic parts). The tan color they had matched my interior perfectly (they also had grey). <br><br>I prepped the pillar by wiping it with urethane reducer to remove any grease and to soften up the surface to accept the paint. Haven't had a single problem in over 16 months.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:30 AM

Some paint techs have been smelling their automotive paints too much. The Agate (grey) color is known as paint code LAZ. My wife, who is an assistant manager in a Paint speciality story, picked up the DuPont Paint Book, entered year, model, and bingo, there was the formula. Get the paint from your dealer. Believe me, it's cheaper. Even with a 40% discount (it's good to have a family member working in a paint store) it's not as cheap as the dealer. The pre painting wipe is to remove the form release residue that is left after the pillar is pressed. There are actually two steps, one to clean the residue and one to prep the surface for vinyl paint acceptance.<br><br>~Dave
Old 01-04-2003, 11:37 AM

Thanks to all for your answers. Since the dealer I work at also has a Jeep dealer in the family I can get parts at 10% over cost so I'll order some of that #4504706 that you mentioned John.<br><br>Thanks Again.<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 09-13-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by NWDave
Some paint techs have been smelling their automotive paints too much. The Agate (grey) color is known as paint code LAZ. My wife, who is an assistant manager in a Paint speciality story, picked up the DuPont Paint Book, entered year, model, and bingo, there was the formula. Get the paint from your dealer. Believe me, it's cheaper. Even with a 40% discount (it's good to have a family member working in a paint store) it's not as cheap as the dealer. The pre painting wipe is to remove the form release residue that is left after the pillar is pressed. There are actually two steps, one to clean the residue and one to prep the surface for vinyl paint acceptance.<br><br>~Dave
What are the chemicals/solvents to use then? I have some wax/grease remover already. What is used to "prep the surface for vinyl paint acceptance"?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-13-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'e had really good results with Krylon Fusion if you don't care about a particular color. I just paint it all black
Old 09-14-2005, 09:43 AM

Must be nice to still be able to get the paint for your interior. Dodge discontinued mine.

I need the get the codes out of my service manual and take them to get it mixed up, so I can paint some stuff to match.

Chris
Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 AM

I found SEM brand at one of the stores here. It matched up perfect to the "granite" color. He sprayed some on the backside of the part I brought him to make sure it matched. That, and a grey scotch pad. I didn't get the adhesive, I'm going to see how this holds first. If it turns out I need the adhesive then I'll just redo it down the road, but I didn't want to waste the $10.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Painting Pillar Pods Grey?