Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

P7100 Coversion question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratsun

I picked up my 913 pump and 215hp injectors off ebay for $700 delivered to my door pump and injectors came out of a engine with 115k
Get out ! Wanna trade it for a 180 hp version??....
Old 09-23-2006, 12:59 PM

About what kind of MPG are you guys with the comversion getting?
Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 PM

18-21 depending on what I'm doing.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:19 PM

Ron, would you mind sharing what timming you are running and what your pump is flowing? maybe what injector too? thanks.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:24 PM

887 pump at 420cc, 16deg timing, Mach 1.2 injectors. Hp is a bit embarrassing for all the work I've done (517/998), but it nearly cleans up at full boost. I am trying to make a bit more. Going to Mach 6's and a bit more timing. Maybe I'll pick up another 20 or 30hp.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:56 PM
The Guru

How is the throttle response? How cleanly does you truck accelerate during the acceleration process? How much smoke?
Which pump would you go with for a killer P pump conversion. How big would you go on injectors? To be streetable. PDR told me to run jammer 4's. That small for me. I like to try PDR 600-650cc (re-build 913) with a #10 plate, 4k gsk, laser cut delivery valve, and so on. I'm just scared to wreck a one heck of a fun truck. Ok, I have a diesel sickness.....
Old 09-23-2006, 06:15 PM

Diesel sickness that's not a bad thing.

I don't know about streetable, but one of the guys by me has a conversion on his race truck and he runs the PDR Stoopid pump. last I know of he dynoed 728hp and 1475Tq. not sure what injector, but I do know he runs the big brother twins.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:21 PM
The Guru

You should ask him to go for a ride. I'm curious how smokey the old girl is. I think that big brother would be a little sluggish for street driving but heck if you throw tons of fuel at her who knows what would happen. If you go for a rip findout what kinda of advance he running. Someguys talk, some don't.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Get out ! Wanna trade it for a 180 hp version??....
Ummm..........NOPE!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Long..........

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
How is the throttle response? How cleanly does you truck accelerate during the acceleration process? How much smoke?
Which pump would you go with for a killer P pump conversion. How big would you go on injectors? To be streetable. PDR told me to run jammer 4's. That small for me. I like to try PDR 600-650cc (re-build 913) with a #10 plate, 4k gsk, laser cut delivery valve, and so on. I'm just scared to wreck a one heck of a fun truck. Ok, I have a diesel sickness.....
I P pumped my '98.5 after a VP44 failure. Before I had a streetable, hitch busting-trailer towing, HP truck that won national events. Broad, flat power band, good fuel economy and street manners,-- with PDR cam, ported head, FMS, big injectors and various single turbos, (the truck liked the B1-Steroid) and was a joy to drive.

I P pumped it with the same configuation but a 913 pump, Scheid injector lines and smaller injectors. Truck ran good just like a mild mannered 12V. Power output was very low, so I massaged pump with 4000rpm springs, zero plate and pump set for full full flow and a 60psi lift pump. Tried all injectors. Timing from 15 - 30 degree with varied results but power noticeably below a VP44 and driveabilty less. Blew 1srt headgasket- too much cylinder pressure/high timing. I could easily peg the tach (4200+) but if timing was set for high rpm it was a dog at low rpm and vica versa. Tried a Scheid built 370 marine P7100, tried three (3!) 13mm barreled race P7100 pumps ($$'s), turbos, injectors (275, DD1, DD3, Supermental, Bully Dog 8, custom, etc.). With careful tuning & big injectors the truck made similar (PEAK) dyno horsepower as it did with the VP44 but the p7100 dyno graph looked like Pikes Peak instead of a mountain with a nice flat top of broad power and torque as the VP44 had. Even with medium injectors, properly set, 750cc P pump, my external wastegate set to open at 55psi, raw diesel droplets would spray from the wastegate and the 5" tailpipe!! Turn the fuel down and dyno hp would go down. Streetable but only I could drive it. My sled pull wins slid from national events to only small brush pulls, I could still pull my 5th wheel RV but even with small injectors and AFC control it smoked so much that I trashed the trailer, fuel economy poor. The truck was no longer fun to drive or competitive, soot in the oil and fuel dilution meant frequent oil changes, synthetic no longer affordable. Though I didn't worry about the P7100 taking a dump, I slipped timing three different times, still was dead along side the road, remember those race pumps pull a lot of horsepower/drag on the camshaft and tapered gear. I sold the engine and bought a common rail engine to replace it.

My advice is that if you want a P pump to drive, buy a 12V truck or sell your VP engine and use those $'s to drop a 12V engine into your 24V truck. It will be less work in the long run. The 12V's hold up much better at high rpm (better valve train, valve guides) and off the shelf parts are cheap, known and available. My conversion was a success in that my cruise, gauges, etc. worked as well as before but I could not get good streetability AND performance. I've talked to over a dozen folks that have done this conversion and believe that the only ones that are happy with a single turbo either are at low horsepower or spray nitrous. Twin turbo converted trucks arre better, but then so are VP-44 trucks..........................
Old 09-23-2006, 11:58 PM

When I put this motor in my truck I couldn't find anyone that knew how to hook up the electronics. That is why it has a p-pump. If I could go to a vp-44 I would gladly do it. My truck runs well. Good throttle response, doesn't smoke too bad. Good fuel economy. But I am way down on power compared to an electronic motor. It also took quite a while to get it to idle decently. It has been reliable though. I have thought about switching to a common rail motor, but those "I lost an injector and ruined my motor" threads scare the heck out of me.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
You should ask him to go for a ride. I'm curious how smokey the old girl is. I think that big brother would be a little sluggish for street driving but heck if you throw tons of fuel at her who knows what would happen. If you go for a rip findout what kinda of advance he running. Someguys talk, some don't.
Sorry, won't be able to go for a ride. I'm over seas on deployment right now. This truck is his race truck. he can drive it on the street, but not the best truck for it. Yes it is very smoky go here to look at it.

http://www.piersdiesel.com/TruckClub/truckclub.htm
Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 AM
The Guru

What kinda of times he pull? Nice truck. Good luck over seas buddy. Rob_bolt, thanks for your side of the story. I've heard stories about P pumped 24v that go bad, but you hear a few that go good. I'm having to much fun with mine to take the time to put on a P pump. VP change outs can be done on a friday night afterwork. Sometimes I get pumped up about doing it but then sit down and think about it abit. The worst thing would be that I pull the P pump stuff off and go back to running a VP. The biggest baddest part of the conversion is the gearbox cover change. You could put on a P pump conversion in a weekend. The stuff that would drive me crazy is the tuning up afterwards. Thats what takes time. My truck already scares the local dodge dealership to the point that they told me to take it to a different shop. Imagine what they would say if I drove in with a P pump on it. Umm what is that thing. Man my truck is getting too old for them to even know how it fix it.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Mike, The Red Rocket's first pass of the season was in the 11's and he shut it down at about the 1000' foot mark! see any thing from 11's to 13's. still working some stuff on it. I think he should be in the mid 10's once things are set good.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:24 PM

Roger Rodbolt posted that he sold his converted motor and put a common rail into it. How did that work out? I have been told that that is the best way to go by far for power and still have a daily driver. The motors are not very expensive. Seems like you could add a cam and a set of studs for about $1300 or so. I hear the don't need to run twins either. Sure sounds good. Smoke free daily driver, 550 hp with the push of a button. I could probably get enough out of my motor to almost pay for the boxes, cam, and studs. That's a sad thought as it only has 59K on it.