Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

P7100 Coversion question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:48 PM
CJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another dumb question. Is the p-pump quieter than the vp? Just wondering cause the 12v's are quieter than the 24v's. If the conversion can be done for around 1600 then I might be able to talk the little lady into it if I can tell her it will be quieter
CJ
Old 07-01-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think they are once you cram the timing into them. Thats just from my own experience though?
Old 07-01-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope, still as loud as a 24 valve, but as good as a 12valve!!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:55 AM

Another question for Cummnz4x4.

I know you are running the Haisley cam and a 4gsk. do you run it up to 4,000rpm's??? do you have to change the valve springs?

sorry for all the questions.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:14 AM
The Guru

I just don't know where you can get a cheap P-pump? Everywhere I have looked its about twice what a VP worth. A VP is around 1K to replace and takes about 2 hours of work.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rodram2002
Another question for Cummnz4x4.

I know you are running the Haisley cam and a 4gsk. do you run it up to 4,000rpm's??? do you have to change the valve springs?

sorry for all the questions.
In order to run it all the way to 4k you need valve springs which run $600 from pdr.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I just don't know where you can get a cheap P-pump? Everywhere I have looked its about twice what a VP worth. A VP is around 1K to replace and takes about 2 hours of work.
Theres no such thing as a cheap p-pump. I bought mine on a core 12v core motor at a wrecking yard down here in cen-tex for $500. but for the price of the p-pump new its worth it over a vp. I went thru 3 vp44's b4 i went ot the p-pump. and now i dont have to worry about my injector pump. before i did the conversion I was scared to even go out of town with the truck b/c of the chance of the vp taking a crap. but now i'm worry free and extremely happy with it.

thats all I can say.

jake
Old 07-03-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen

I picked up my 913 pump and 215hp injectors off ebay for $700 delivered to my door pump and injectors came out of a engine with 115k
Old 09-04-2006, 08:39 PM
The Guru

Has anybody done a P pump conversion for an auto truck? Do you need the TPS sensor for the tranny to work and shift right? PDR told me to just put in an old style valve body in or go with a manual shift valve body. I'm throwing around the P pump idea once again. I just got some killer 24v injectors made for a high flow P pump. Is a pump that flows 650cc enough flow put out the big HP numbers for you have to go bigger?
Old 09-22-2006, 07:02 PM

P-pumps

If you want to get the timing perfect use a AB light. You can purchase it from any tool dealer. The tool is used on Mack P Pumps and can be used on any P pump. I use the AB light tool on the test stand on cummins spec pumps and Mack. The flyweights are set 5.50 to 5.25 NW (clock wise) after start of injection. If you have a Vp44 truck going to a P-7100 series pump is the way to go. You can order test injection lines and bend them to fit perfect. I never thought about the crank sensor issue though.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:57 PM
The Guru

Ok, this is a difficult subject. How does everyone rate there size of their pumps? PDR rates them this way, Haisley rate them this way. Dynomite Diesel (Ross) told me that they could build a pump that would kill everyone else pump. Haisley told me that their puller trucks run around 900cc to 1200cc of flow. PDR stopid pump is set to flow around 700 to 750 mark. I'm just making sure that I buy a pump that can keep up with my heavy foot.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:26 AM

Well the flow on the test stand is very different than the flow through the trucks injectors and injection lines. A Mack pump 0 402 746 973 puts out around 250 to 300ccs @ 1000 strokes full load. Then when your finished leveling the pump with the test nozzles you install the engine injectors with like engine lines same size etc. The flow drops down to around 100 to 150 ccs. So those flows can be miss-leading. A guy came into the shop and asked us to move the barrels on his pump all the way up it flowed so much that we did not take it up to full rpm because barrels have been known to break. All I can say is it pumped more than enough fuel.

If you retain the stock plunger and barrels you still can get hella fuel out of the pump with full rack. How ever if you exceed the specs. in the rack travel you can change timing to the point that may not be favorable. The top of the plungers have a ramp like structure that when the rack moves the plungers move clockwise or anti. depending on the gov. that changes port closure several degrees. Not to **** off any one but KTA is wrong about a P-pump not having favorable timing features. VE pumps have many moving parts and many things can go wrong quick. VE pumps that have been run just as normal pumps come in the shop jacked to hell. Hell I build VEs also for a living and its a bad *** pump and I have played around with them built franken pumps but I would not waste my money on a VE for a hot rod pump thats like building a high performance weed wacker engine for a car. A P-pump is capable of putting out so much fuel it can flood a engine to the point it won't run right. There are tons of plunger sizes and plunger top ramp shapes to set up any engine to perform full race to novice.
There are so many things you can do to make this pump perform for you.
Changing the parts such as delivery valves to bigger sizes will change flow at full load significantly but will also change the flow at the Idle. You may need to turn up the idle screw a little. Every one knows the rest of the stuff to do.

Dude, I could build a pump that will kill your engine lolol........
Old 09-23-2006, 12:38 AM

I can get around the same fuel out of a 877 or 913 cummins 5.9 as a 8.3 Mack and still have P&B port timing features. I want to put the Mack plungers in a 913 pump. But I have not compared the 5.9l plungers to the 8.3l yet. I have tons of good used plungers. I want to play with.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:32 AM

Just a rough number to play with, my pump guy told me 1.5 to 1.75 horsepower per cc of fuel. This is just a number to start cause the air flow and uncontrolled facters play into the final horsepower number. This is a interesting post as I am going to do this to my 01 this winter and have almost all of the parts for it. I'm thinking about getting a core 24 motor and building it to stick in, this might be as cheap as tearing my motor apart in the truck and then selling the running motor when I'm done.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:43 AM

That would make since because a mack truck with a 97* puts out about 250- 300 hp. But a stock spec. 5.9l pump puts out about 125.-130. cc. @ 1150 Rpm. there are so many things to consider.

Quick Reply: P7100 Coversion question