Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

P7100 Coversion question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Ok, you can keep the 24v gearbox cover for the P pump conversion, you just need to machine it to fit the P pump? Where do you need to machine the gearbox at? This defueling thingy just makes me mad. My truck only pulls hard in third gear. My buddies 5 speed pulls harder from the start and spools the turbo so much faster than mine. As for the cam tach sensor thats on the VP, you can install that on the P pump right? The gear is the same as for the VP set-up. So what code comes up on the computer after this mod?
The Speed sensor on my 12v is mounted to the case and picks up of the balancer ( I think cummnz4x4pwr sells the bracket for this?)
I dont know if the gears are the same size for the pump shaft as the VP uses a keyway and the ppump is a friction fit but since you got to pull the case to machine it out to fit the pump a gear swap is no big deal. If your going to do a swap and need a pump talk to Harry at PDR, He has a virgin 913 pump that hes been holding onto for ever now and since his new truck has one of their stupid pumps he dosent need it anymore.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The vp44 pump shaft is thinner, and not: / \ like the 12v's is,,, thats why you need a 12v timing gear.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok... you can keep the 24v gearbox housing cover. ONLY If you use your 24v gearbox and get it machined will you not have to have the adapter for the 24v camshaft sensor which is on the back side of the housing under the vp44. You MUST have the p-pump pump gear.

Jake
Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
Ok... you can keep the 24v gearbox housing cover. ONLY If you use your 24v gearbox and get it machined will you not have to have the adapter for the 24v camshaft sensor which is on the back side of the housing under the vp44. You MUST have the p-pump pump gear.

Jake
I love it when yall chime in with your info... i learn something else new everyday... whats the tech info goign to be today.. i just cant wait to do this conversion... Also i checked into buying a donor 12v engine on car-parts.com and it didnt find a junk yard within 1k miles with one in stock.. i was surprised....
Old 06-24-2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by storx
I love it when yall chime in with your info... i learn something else new everyday... whats the tech info goign to be today..
yes yes, tell us more. I have learned alot from Jake and his posts. any little tips you still have will help.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:26 PM

we need to possably get a website going with some picture graphics of this conversion and a list of all that is needed and some simple understandable instructions. I can host it if someone wants to help do this project.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by storx
we need to possably get a website going with some picture graphics of this conversion and a list of all that is needed and some simple understandable instructions. I can host it if someone wants to help do this project.

Same thing ive been thinkin about!

Id say: do your conversion first, then make a write up, and make sure to get lots of pics while making the conversion!

The same friend of mine, who did the last conversion, is gonna do another one! he lives some distance away from me, but ill try to make pics, and iff possible help him! to understand it better! ah, he is gonna buy a P-pump from me!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:10 PM

that is an awesome idea guys. that will help other out alot. all the picuter you can get will be worth a 1000 words when doing this comversion.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:36 PM

I have a question for 24Valvepuller and Cumminz4x4pwer.

I think you both have 215 pumps and 24Valvepuller has bigger injectors. correct me if I'm wrong.

ok, here is my question. about how much fuel does your pump flow in CC's?

I have the DD super mental injectors in my truck right now, but still have the stock ones. I'm looking at what the pump would need to flow for about 500hp. I know the DD's might be too much injector. oh, you don'y have to change the pop pressures, correct?

thanks

Scott.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:32 PM
The Guru

Do you have to machine the plate for the sensor thats under the VP? Do you have to use a 12v crank shaft sensor? Where do you get the oil feed to supply the P-pump? What code comes up in the ECM computer? I heard to clear the codes you can just hang the VP beside the P-pump and leave it hooked up.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:54 AM

ok here it is.. Im looking for someone who can share some pictures of the conversion that they have found or taken.. Also i need someone to possably help me out so im not doing all the work. Im going to break out the ole website makign skills its been a while since i wrote a page up in notepad but im sure i can do it. ALso my work computer is on 24/7 so i can host it on there along with the company website the IT leader at work said he had the ok to host it. All i need is a little help from everyone on here...
Old 06-27-2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rodram2002
I have a question for 24Valvepuller and Cumminz4x4pwer.

I think you both have 215 pumps and 24Valvepuller has bigger injectors. correct me if I'm wrong.

ok, here is my question. about how much fuel does your pump flow in CC's?

I have the DD super mental injectors in my truck right now, but still have the stock ones. I'm looking at what the pump would need to flow for about 500hp. I know the DD's might be too much injector. oh, you don'y have to change the pop pressures, correct?

thanks

Scott.
No the DD's wont be too much. And I havnt had my pump flow tested so im not real sure how many cc's it flows.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:09 PM

Do you have to machine the plate for the sensor thats under the VP? Do you have to use a 12v crank shaft sensor? Where do you get the oil feed to supply the P-pump? What code comes up in the ECM computer? I heard to clear the codes you can just hang the VP beside the P-pump and leave it hooked up.
If you buy the adapter then all you have to do is bolt it in place of the timing pin then trace the hole where the sensor goes, then remove the adapter take a die grinder and grind out the hole. then bolt the adapter back in place and put a little RTV in between it and the case. and then bolt the sensor in place... and then the tach will work.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:57 PM
The Guru

Your talking about the crank sensor off a 12v right? Another dumb question where it located? Front or back of engine? How well does this really work vs VP truck? I like big HP numbers but can you get drivablity out the P pump? I've heard stories going both ways.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:14 PM

Your talking about the crank sensor off a 12v right? Another dumb question where it located? Front or back of engine? How well does this really work vs VP truck? I like big HP numbers but can you get drivablity out the P pump? I've heard stories going both ways.
No i'm talking about the stock 24v cam sensor. I have come up with an adapter top make this work with the p-pump conversion. on the 01-02 trucks. It is located under the vp on the timing gear housing. and Yes you can get drivability out of a p-pump. I daily drive my truck. and I love it.

jake

Quick Reply: P7100 Coversion question