Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

P7100 Coversion question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P7100 Coversion question

Ok, I sat down with the napa owner and he said he would take my vp-44 as the core if i bought a p7100 pump. He said he called the vender who ships out the p7100 pumps and he agreed to the core exchange and mentioned what performance upgrades i had. I stated i had twins and he said he would send me a 1998 Manual p7100 if i decided to do this.

My question is what is the deal with the 98 manual p7100 pump???
Are these better then others or is he just trying to pull a fast one on me. He sounded very happy when i asked if he take a vp-44 for a core exchange.

Im also trying to find out about this mechanical pump conversion for the lift pump. I found out that my fass system cannot be converted to run 45psi because its the 150gph pump.

Also if anyone has any images of the conversion or websites for aid and tips please chime in.. Im trying to prep for the conversion.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:30 PM

98 manual pumps are or commenly refered to a 913 pump. Will push the most fuel and has the best cam profile.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:20 PM

ok, i have a question for you.. how hard is it to set the timing on one of these p7100 pumps when doing the conversion??? thanks jambbii im guessing the guy is actually trying to help me out since he said it be the same price.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by storx
ok, i have a question for you.. how hard is it to set the timing on one of these p7100 pumps when doing the conversion??? thanks jambbii im guessing the guy is actually trying to help me out since he said it be the same price.
If the pump is lock timed (this means that they have already set the timing on the pump itself) then all you should have to do is take the motor to TDC and install the pump. for that pump it should be lock timed somewhere around 14*.

JAKE
Old 06-19-2006, 09:02 PM

gah... i dont know much about the p7100 pumps ... what should i look for to tell if locked and at 14
Old 06-19-2006, 09:52 PM

One of the covers on the side of the pump has a locking pin undernieth it. Personally I would buy the timing tools and set the timing using a dial indicator and a timing chart (piers web site). This way you know exactly where the timing is. When you install the timing gear make sure everything is clean!!! A little oil residue or trash will let the timing slip. Electrical contact cleaner works well. It is also a good idea to install a new retaining nut and lock washer on the pump/gear.
Start keeping an eye out for the timing tools in the classifieds, ebay or someone that will let you borrow them. They cost about $250 new. For more info on the tools do a search on cheap timing tools. There is a TSB for white smoke that has the timing direction in it. Search for TSB 18-10-94 on the dodge ram info website. You can get by without the snap on or miller tools but it is easier with them. Also get a barring tool for around $35 from cummins so that you can bump the motor over easily.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to do the conversion awhile back because my VP was dinkin out. I stopped because I got a bad pump and would have needed to put in more money and I didn't have any to spare. I have some parts if you need them, P. M. me anyone if interested.

On the machanical lp thing, you can get a 24 grind cam w/a lobe for the pump, I was lookin at the Haisley's streetpuller one (no flycut pistons or anything special needed. You gotta take out the stock cam and put that one in then you have the lobe for the L/P. (might have to special order the cam w/the lobe but shouldnt really cost more I wouldnt think). Thats the hardest part of the conversion; pulling the cam. On the pump timing, I think that you cant time the pump adv. or ret. off the truck because it is already set at TDC in corralation with the motor. This is MY understanding, correct me if I'm wrong....its happend lots before ! To advance or retard the timing you have to loosen the gear from the pump shaft and rotate the motor over while the pump is locked at TDC so that it pumps fuel adv. or ret. compared to the motors setting. (haha hopefully that makes sence the way I have it )

I still would like to do the conversion or get a 12v, i'm getting sick of this sick VP dead pedaling....lol! If i can help you out let me know with any questions, also there was a thread i started (3 pages) titled "VP options" that deals with this, lots of good info. Hope this helps you some!
TNutcher
Old 06-20-2006, 10:41 AM

well im trying to get everything together and start buying the parts to do it all...If i can get by without having to buy a dang kit i would love to do that... I called the dealership and asked for the price of an timing cover and they said it be impossable to get one brand new, I asked why and he said they have been back ordered for months now and they dont make them but at one manufacture anymore....

This is the list of stuff ive come up with:
P7100 pump 708.00
timing cover unknown price
injector lines 450.00
brackets unknown still and not sure which ones will be needed yet still
new cam unknown price
new lift pump unknown price

Items i will be selling to offset price...
Edge Drag Comp
Smarty
FASS 150GPH
Old 06-20-2006, 10:43 AM

can someone chime in what is involved in and how hard it be to bend the stock lines?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:00 AM

cant help you much on the lines there, but if you really want to do your timing you can peice the kit together much cheap. Snap-on has a website you can order everything seperatly. I already had a delivery valve socket and dial indicator, I just needed the pedastool. It was like 20 bucks from snap-on online.
Much cheaper than buing the kit.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jambbii
98 manual pumps are or commenly refered to a 913 pump. Will push the most fuel and has the best cam profile.
wait i thought a 98 manual has the 215 pump not a 913
Old 06-20-2006, 12:06 PM

A 215 pump can be either an 887 or 913 part number...I don't know exactly what the differences are, but ther are some

Chris
Old 06-20-2006, 01:33 PM

P-7100

Actually, I don't think the 887 is a 215 pump. 215 is the h.p. rating of the motor. I believe its just the 911 and 913 pumps that are rated at 215. They barrels and plungers are what seperate the 887 with the 911 and 913 as well as cam profile within the pump. The difference in the 911 and 913 I believe is strictly the cam. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is what my experiences have taught me.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:35 PM

Oh, and the 887, 911, and 913 numbers I believe are just like a model number or something of that sort. (and I think there's like a 860's numbered pump or 891... not sure but I think there are four models.)
Old 06-20-2006, 01:40 PM

The 1996-1998 Manual transmission engines had injection pumps with one of two part numbers...one ending in 887, the other ending in 913. I don't know of any Dodge engine that used a 911 pump, but I have heard of them!

You can get a lot of different info depending on who you talk to....especially about the 9** pumps!

Chris

Quick Reply: P7100 Coversion question