Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

P-Pump, Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mvanhelden
Does anyone know how the smoke is with a p-pumped 24 valve? I don't want it tuned more than it runs now with a comp module, what exactly would it take to get that power again?
im not sure, but i really think you can get that HP fro free in a 215 pump.

Free stuff: put in a 100 plate, afc modding, rack travel mod, governor washer mod

or/and DV's, 4k GSK

i rode with my buddys 24valve with a 215 the other day, cant say the smoke was very bad, but i also dont know how he has tuned his plate and afc now.

you gotta play with it, to get it the way you want it! My truck with only free mods smoked a lot, even at full boost, now i turned it down a whole lot (plate back, and afc thighter and back) now smoke is not bad! but has almost the same power, and i could beat my buddy's 2001 with a comp
Old 10-22-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how the smoke is with a p-pumped 24 valve? I don't want it tuned more than it runs now with a comp module, what exactly would it take to get that power again?
Are you going to Ponci's event next month? If so you might be able to get some questions answered first hand.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:11 PM

Well then, i'm gunna do the swap, who should i call to get injector lines? I've heard haisly? is there anyone else? And is there anything else i will need that is not on the 98'
Either Haisley or Scheids, or EEP should have them, I got mine from Haisley's who I believe get them from Schieds. And when we did mine we only pulled the gear off the cam, it was a little work but quicker than pulling the cam. the cam comes out this winter
Old 10-22-2006, 06:58 PM

You could get a set of straight lines in about any length you want and then bend them yourself. This is what most of the truck and tractor pullers do and it is about half the price of a set of prebent lines. They are not to bad to bend with a good tubing bender ya just need to put as many clamps on them as you can to keep them from vibrating.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:15 PM

Does anyone have fuel mileage numbers after the swap? I wouldn't mind it going down a little, but if it's going to be terrible........
Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by RonA
Are you going to Ponci's event next month? If so you might be able to get some questions answered first hand.
No most likely not, because of non business issues I don't go down there.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:45 AM

Sorry to hear that you won't be there. My p-pump converted truck will be there. It is a medium hp daily driver(500hp). I would have let you take it for a spin to see what the manners are like. Good luck with your conversion. I've had mine for 3 years now.

Ron
Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 AM

The only benefit I have seen is the reliability standpoint. It is alot more smokey than a vp, and mileage typically goes down - depending on the tune of the P-pump. I know CA is very tough on smoke, so that is something you need to consider before doing the conversion.

My personal opinion is sell the conversion parts and pocket the cash.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:26 PM

A vp equipped truck smokes plenty too. You basically end up with a 12 valve with all the latest and greatest parts cummins threw at it and a 4 valve head instead of a 2 valve head
Old 10-23-2006, 05:13 PM

I cant Believe I didnt see this thread before...sorry for the tardiness........

a 24v with the p-pump will not start as easily....(Takes a Few More Cranks)

fuel mileage wise I get 15-16 on town and 18-20.5 on the highway last two tanks were 20.1 and 20.5 mpg....

I love my p-pumped 24v

at this moment my truck is actually down...due to IP problems as soon as I figure out whats going on I'll give y'all a shout.

Jake
Old 10-23-2006, 05:56 PM

Sounds like a good time to get your pump set the way you want then
Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 24valvepuller
A vp equipped truck smokes plenty too. You basically end up with a 12 valve with all the latest and greatest parts cummins threw at it and a 4 valve head instead of a 2 valve head

BUT, a hot vp can be turned down and run virtually smoke free where a p-pump is not so "street friendly". This obviously depends on power level too. Comparing 500 horse trucks, a P pump is no longer a work truck, where a vp can be. A valet switch helps, but it is not the same as shutting off a major fueling box and running on injectors only.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Loretta Mitchell used to haul the White Dodge to the pull unhook from the trailer and put a beatin on all the guys about 3 years ago, and I would bet her truck was close to or above 500 hp. Did it smoke some on the street, yes but so did mine with just 125 hp inj trying to keep up, both of us had trailers on and hers weighed more
Old 10-23-2006, 08:38 PM

Hers did not have the typical bolt on mods.

P- pumps are much nicer with twins.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarcajouCummins
A valet switch helps, but it is not the same as shutting off a major fueling box and running on injectors only.
Basically a valet switch is letting you run on just DVs and injectors. Unless I misunderstand how it works...

Quick Reply: P-Pump, Worth it?