Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

is P-PUMP worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and any body that wants can come drive my truck and see what they think...

Jake
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
\

I have been In a few pulls lately with mine... And I have yet to be beaten by a vp powered truck... you can check out my vids in the comp. section.
There is a big difference in winning a pull and running as well as a VP truck.... I am not saying you can't make HP with a set up I just don't feel it is the best route for most guys. There is no way to make a conversion truck vary the timing which helps enormously with bottum end and/or topend. The main place a p-pumped truck will shine is when it is setup for over 850 RWHP as the VP just runs out of fuel above this number.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
There is a big difference in winning a pull and running as well as a VP truck.... I am not saying you can't make HP with a set up I just don't feel it is the best route for most guys. There is no way to make a conversion truck vary the timing which helps enormously with bottum end and/or topend. The main place a p-pumped truck will shine is when it is setup for over 850 RWHP as the VP just runs out of fuel above this number.
Agreed,

My truck Is not as street drivable as it was before, BUT I do enjoy not having a little voice in the back of my head saying: Dont go far from home, your VP Might die....

Jake
Old 08-21-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
Agreed,

My truck Is not as street drivable as it was before, BUT I do enjoy not having a little voice in the back of my head saying: Dont go far from home, your VP Might die....

Jake

That is EXACTLY what the little voice in the back of my head keeps saying!! I like the everyday driveabliliy of my vp44(I know VP44 is a bad word!) but I'd do a p-pump conversion now if I could afford it. After $$$$ and a full Saturday of changing out my vp44 pump about 14 months ago, it is starting to have a slight 'hard to start warm' issue again!!!

On our vacation last weekend, I was nervious to pull our 30'Travel Trailer too far away, so we went camping fairly close to home. This is NOT why I bought a Cummins powered truck!

....... I wonder how reliable a 2004 or so year model would be???
Old 08-21-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry guys, but... "not driving far from home because the injector pump might die" sounds a little extreme, IMO .

If your that worried about it...buy the replacement you are SURE your going to need, and carry it with you!

A good percentage of the failed VP-44's don't die outright. Mine acted funny at 80,000 miles but I did not actually know I had a problem till I dynoed 100 HP shy, 2 months later!

I drive all over the western half of the country and if I was that worried about my truck dying...I would sell!

JMO - RJ
Old 08-21-2006, 04:34 PM

Is it at all possible to convert over to comon rails cp3s? I dont really know much goin there but i think that would be more reliable than vp and still drivable, and still make more power since they are gettin crazy with them. Or mabey im way off. Just a thought.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Sorry guys, but... "not driving far from home because the injector pump might die" sounds a little extreme, IMO .

If your that worried about it...buy the replacement you are SURE your going to need, and carry it with you!

A good percentage of the failed VP-44's don't die outright. Mine acted funny at 80,000 miles but I did not actually know I had a problem till I dynoed 100 HP shy, 2 months later!

I drive all over the western half of the country and if I was that worried about my truck dying...I would sell!

JMO - RJ
rjohnson,

I'd most likely feel the same, but the last time mine quit it left me, wife & kids stranded at night on the freeway, with traffic just a few inches away. We waited about 5 hours(ok, 1 hour felt like 5) for a tow truck. It was a real nightmare! And I had to get us back home & then come back later to put in the new pump at a relatives house it cost a few hundred to tow the thing to.

When the VP44 dies the engine just suddenly stops dead no matter where you are! When we go on vacations pulling the travel trailer many of the 'good' campgrounds require going over steep and curvy mountain passes with a cliff on one side and a mountain wall on the other(no place at all to pull off). I don't really like the idea of the trucks engine to stop going up one of these such roads in the middle of the night!

And having a 'spare' $1200 pump in the back 'just in case', does not really do much good cause you can't simply through it on in real quick while stuck in the middle of a road.

Don't get me worng. I think a lot of people worry too much about a lot of little things, but I bought a Cummins powered truck because I wanted what was supposed to be the most reliable, not a "it might up & die(again) at any time" truck.

Its a 53 block too, but I aint wining about that because even if the block ever does crack at least it won't leave me stranded on the side of the road.

I like the truck a lot, & love the feel & sound of the 24v cummins. But having a p-pump, or dieselrob's idea of the CP3, though would at least be a reliable fix. I don't want to keep getting stuck on the road and having to spend time and lots of money every 2 years on these stupid injection pumps!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:15 PM
The Guru

Guys, VP replacements are easy to do. Yes you could do it on the side of the road. The biggest issue is the injector lines. You can remove them in groups of two bunches. I've replaced four pumps now. I've never been stranded yet, I've just replace them when the power starts to fall off. If I didn't run a drag box, I would still be on the first VP. I have buddies that still have there first VP at 250000 miles and the truck is still running good. I'm going the P pump route, some day. At $1k and 2-3hrs of easy work, its not that big of an issue for me. You also get a one year warranty. The shop that I use have a replacements available.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:07 PM

Well, I just ordered a 215 pump today that will flow 400cc. should be good for 500hp. I plan on doing this on my truck. it will be a few months till I can do it.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 AM
The Guru

The 913 pump will make more power and you can get up to 600 to 650cc fuel. I think that a stock VP is around the 400cc area. I think that a P pump truck would smoke more than a VP for the same power. The smoke thing is a killer for me. It changes a truck from a fun truck to something you can only run on a strip. Yes you can back off the the timing, then your peak power will drop. The only way you could justify the swap is mainly is getting over the 800rwhp mark.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:04 AM

My pump is the 913 model. If you drive in with a light foot, it doesn't some that bad. It's almost like having a smarty, you have to roll into the throttle. My truck will slowly turn into a sled pulling only truck, so I think it is the only way to go. Plus I like to work on my truck, so timming it doesn't bother me. But I hat changing out an $1,100 vp whenever it wants to die. Look at how long a P-pump will last vs. how long a VP will last. purdy simple to me just MHO.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Rodram2002
My pump is the 913 model. If you drive in with a light foot, it doesn't some that bad. It's almost like having a smarty, you have to roll into the throttle. My truck will slowly turn into a sled pulling only truck, so I think it is the only way to go. Plus I like to work on my truck, so timming it doesn't bother me. But I hat changing out an $1,100 vp whenever it wants to die. Look at how long a P-pump will last vs. how long a VP will last. purdy simple to me just MHO.
My thoughts exactly.....
Old 08-24-2006, 02:47 AM

I have been In a few pulls lately with mine... And I have yet to be beaten by a vp powered truck
Thats because your in Texas!!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Thats because your in Texas!!
Compared To Indiana.... We have nothing

But the last pull I was in was pretty competitive. 45 trucks the first night and 63 the next and that was just in the street diesel class!!!

Oh, and came in sixth both nights and was only beaten by 2 CR's and the others were 12v's

Jake