Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

is P-PUMP worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is P-PUMP worth it?

with the truck i have in my sig, STILL being a EVERYDAY driver, would it be worth it to do a P PUMP conversion? i am lookin basically for more HP that what i have now and still be able to drive the truck everyday. i really like the idea of making 12v power and with a valet switch, still haveing a everyday driver. just want some feedback on what you guys think.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:17 PM
The Guru

I just put in another VP today. The fourth one for 180000km. The truck wouldn't idle and the power was starting to fall off. This one only lasted 20k. I'm gonna buy a P pump but has to be at a good price. I'm tried of replacing the things but a good running VP truck is hard to hate except for the HP junky's.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:28 PM

From what i've read on this site, when my VP goes, i'm not going to even bother putting another VP in, im going to go straight to a P-Pump...but thats just my two pennies!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Banned

with what i have in my sig right now, if i was to do a conversion, how much work i would i have to do to get me back to where i am at right now HP wise and what would i have to do to pass where i am at?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Banned

come on guys, i need some feedback . not worried about how much $$$ it would cost, just want to know if i would be able to make more DEPENDABLE hp than what i have now.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by inline6power
come on guys, i need some feedback . not worried about how much $$$ it would cost, just want to know if i would be able to make more DEPENDABLE hp than what i have now.
It really just depends on what pump you are going to be running. how much fuel pressure,and how much timing youre going to run. the only thing thats different is that this setup is only adjustable by a valet switch and cant be just turned off....

But you already know what I think...

Jake
Old 08-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Banned

well i understand what you are saying. i do have a P7100 pump just LAYING around and just wanted to know how much work i would have to do to get back to the hp range i am at right now. i am right at 500 to the wheels and i am just lookin for the next step so to say. how hard would it be to get back to 500 with a p pump conversion.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by inline6power
well i understand what you are saying. i do have a P7100 pump just LAYING around and just wanted to know how much work i would have to do to get back to the hp range i am at right now. i am right at 500 to the wheels and i am just lookin for the next step so to say. how hard would it be to get back to 500 with a p pump conversion.
Cant say if its worth it, after you put in all you have in your sig, but i do prefer the P-pumped trucks.
Do you have a 215 P-pump? That would be the first step to make bigger HP then the 160, 180s etc. In my opinion a tweaked 215 pump should get you to 500 HP, of course all your electronic fueling things wont work on the mecanical pump and someone else can chime in as how your budha injectors will work with a P-pump

IMO
Old 08-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Banned

yeah i actually have 2 215 pumps here at the house. i mean, yeah i have alont in my truck right now and just wasnt sure if the p pump was the right idea for a everyday driver. i might just have to put some nitrous on the get me to that next step i guess. thats really my goal right now is to have 600 at the wheels. even on drugs. i still need to drive this thing everyday so if i can get to 600 and still have a semi dependable daily driver then thats all i want.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:47 AM

I've been running a p-pump conversion for 3 years now. Reliable, yes. Best, I doubt it. I run in the 450-520 range depending on the setup I am running. A vp will give you adjustability. My truck makes 503hp in full fuel, 130 in valet. But it doesn't have any lift pump/injection difficulties either.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned

Ron, that sounds like a sweet truck you have there.

I think the swap would be a good option for you since you already have the pump. I think having some bench work done to it, a 4k GSK, a 100 plate and some lazer cuts would get you back to where you are, for less than a VP. And more reliable.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:52 AM

Guys doing a conversion is not that hard...... But getting it to run as well as a VP truck is where the key is. To do this you will need custom injectors, cam, pump, dyno time etc. If dollars is not an issue the conversion is not a big deal (although just swapping a 12v would be a cheaper solution).

Every persons conversion truck I have riden in didn't run as well as a VP truck, although they did run and the owners were happy. For me if I was going to do one I would want it to run as good or better than the VP, and to do this cost time and money.

Doug Smith
Old 08-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
Guys doing a conversion is not that hard...... But getting it to run as well as a VP truck is where the key is. To do this you will need custom injectors, cam, pump, dyno time etc. If dollars is not an issue the conversion is not a big deal (although just swapping a 12v would be a cheaper solution).

Every persons conversion truck I have riden in didn't run as well as a VP truck, although they did run and the owners were happy. For me if I was going to do one I would want it to run as good or better than the VP, and to do this cost time and money.

Doug Smith
I didn't realize it was that much work to make it run WELL, and I agree, if it does not run as well, or better, then it is not really worth it, except for a Stoopid Pumped dedicated puller or some such non daily driven rig.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:36 PM

Doug keeps hitting on the fine point which is, yes it runs well, but it does not run as well as the vp. You can make power, but you will go back to square one to do it. Delivery valves larger than 181's smoke alot. little RV275 injectors make nearly 500hp with a modest 215pump. Go up to 150hp injectors and only make 20 more hp with 10x the smoke. If I could go to a vp without it costing an arm and a leg I would do it. I have yet to find anyone who actually knew how to set it up though.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot

Doug Smith
\

I have been In a few pulls lately with mine... And I have yet to be beaten by a vp powered truck... you can check out my vids in the comp. section.

Jake

Quick Reply: is P-PUMP worth it?