Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ottomind vs.? EZ, comp, etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottomind vs.? EZ, comp, etc

Hi All,
My 01 2500 has a complete banks kit with the Ottomind controller. I am looking at getting injectors, and was wondering what the Ottomind compares too? Ez, Comp, etc? The Banks site doesn't give much info on it. Thanks?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 PM

??? BTT
Old 05-11-2004, 11:21 PM

Well the ottomind is a wire tap box only... its a very mild wire tap box that makes about 70hp peak to peak. Your going to run into problems with injectors because of the rapid defueling of the box. I ran into huge problems with DD2's... the truck would completly go to dead throttle if I got on it hard. The Banks Ottomind compares mostly to the TST Power Max 3... only much much milder.

Horace
Old 05-11-2004, 11:28 PM

What could i expect if I ran some stage 2 injectors, where does the rapid de-fueling begin? My truck seems to pull pretty good to about 2700 Rpm. What can I expect as far as overall performance? mostly lower end?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:32 PM

OOPS! i was logged in as my brother.

What could i expect if I ran some stage 2 injectors, where does the rapid de-fueling begin? My truck seems to pull pretty good to about 2700 Rpm. What can I expect as far as overall performance? mostly lower end?

Old 05-12-2004, 09:46 AM

I had the complete Banks set up for awhile. Eventually put RV275's on and they really seemed to wake the truck up. The truck did not defuel on a regular or predictable basis - However there were times (at lower speeds & not working the engine hard) when boost would be low and there would be little or no throttle response, but EGT temps were rising. Don't know if this was the Ottomind, gauges or ?? Anyway changed to the TST Box - Lots more and the Isspro gauges and haven't had that problem since.

One other note - On hard acceleration the truck would sometimes miss or hesitate - running the Ottomind ground wire directly to the battery corrected that.

Good luck,

George
Old 05-12-2004, 10:10 AM

Thanks, good info.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by gandrews
I had the complete Banks set up for awhile. Eventually put RV275's on and they really seemed to wake the truck up. The truck did not defuel on a regular or predictable basis - However there were times (at lower speeds & not working the engine hard) when boost would be low and there would be little or no throttle response, but EGT temps were rising. Don't know if this was the Ottomind, gauges or ?? Anyway changed to the TST Box - Lots more and the Isspro gauges and haven't had that problem since.

One other note - On hard acceleration the truck would sometimes miss or hesitate - running the Ottomind ground wire directly to the battery corrected that.

Good luck,

George
I was wondering about the defueling. I too have the Banks Power Pack & recently put in some dd2's & was getting some defueling when towing heavy or getting on the throttle hard. I got an over boost code & thought that maybe she defueld do to high egt's for the Ottomind. I know I'm at the limit of my hy35 turbo & I'm going to start saving for a new one. I have thought of getting a different box maybe an Edge. My ? is do I need different gauges from my Banks gauges?
Old 05-12-2004, 05:04 PM

"My ? is do I need different gauges from my Banks gauges?"

Discalimer - I am running off memory here so I am not 100% certain and some of the terms may not be correct.

They (boost and EGT gauges) plug into the Ottomind box.
The EGT probe plugs into the Ottomind box.
The Ottomind plugs in between the stock boost sensor and the stock wiring harness.

TST (and I imagine the Edge Comp) plugs in between the stock boost sensor and the stock wiring harness. (That is how they know when to add more fuel).

So you would need to leave the Ottomind on the truck but disconnect it from the VP44 tap and the apps sensor and the boost sensor. Then you could still have the EGT working but not the boost and you would save $100 + or -.

Someone here may have a way to work around it, but IMHO it's cleaner to have the Ottomind gone. I also like having the gauges independent from the box.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:42 PM

Thanks gandrews
I had a shop in Grants Pass put the Banks system in 3yrs ago so really was'nt sure how it all hooked together.