Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ordered Water/Methanol Injection Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered Water/Methanol Injection Kit

This week i ordered a Snow Performance Boost CoolerŽ Stage-3 Diesel kit. Its going to take a while to get here.. but i paid less than retail/online prices... that was with tax too.. I am buying this in hopes to drop my EGTs. I tow a 20 foot enclosed car hauler, when loaded with the car its ~10,000 lbs.. I live in the Rocky Mountain area so i encounter steep grades and live at high elevation.. make home at 7000 feet and only go up from there to go play. My EGT's hit about 1400 degrees when pulling 4k lbs up a 1500 foot climb in about 2 miles maxing out at 8500 feet.. this is pulling in overdrive at 75 MPH with my Edge box on setting one... so i guess my question is what are people's opinions or experiences with water/methanol injection ?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:39 PM

i would put an 14cm housing on the charger, and run straight water methanol is a fuel so it will raise egt's compared to straight water. also you better get the big resivour towing grades like that.

locking out of od and slowing down would help
Old 07-28-2006, 07:48 PM

slowing down.. haha

i am building this Edit truck to haul Edit uphill with a load attached to it.. i got a diesel so i don't have to go slow hopefully this helps..
Old 07-28-2006, 07:56 PM

well then your best bet is twins. it's hard to make big power on a single and still have it tow especially in an auotmatic and especially at altitude because it gets hot trying to spool and it cant recover on the top. or you go smaller and it chokes on the top. twins allow you to have fast spool up and move alot of air on the top end as well. if you serious about hauling heavy with high hp (500 and up) you'll be investing in twins. if you want a truck that's fast and dont mind babysitting the pyro when towing occasionally you might be ok with a single.

those bling bling 22's dont help either
Old 07-29-2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by wana12v
methanol is a fuel so it will raise egt's compared to straight water. also you better get the big resivour towing grades like that.
MISINFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Methanol cools alot better than water.The "water is better" myth started in the begining of AI when the pumps were not alcohol compatable.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Banned

For maximum cooling you want to use a 13% to 15% mix of meth to water.

BBD
Old 07-29-2006, 04:56 AM

Hey nOne,
How about letting us know where ya got it from and how much it was. That's the same kit that I would like to pick up.
Topper
Old 07-29-2006, 06:28 PM

price..

I bought it for 784.40 w/ tax at a local shop here in my town.. He got it from a distributor that is in cooperation with Summit.. so, 740.00 plus tax. Online from Snowperformance.net its 769.00+14 dollar handling fee.. I really could have got it for 716.00 + Tax at Truck Fest and Bandemiere Raceway last sunday.. but i didnt have the money on me.. and the guys at the snow performance booth told me that 716 is the cheapest they have ever sold it for.. but i missed my chance for that..
Old 07-29-2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by ahollowtub
MISINFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Methanol cools alot better than water.The "water is better" myth started in the begining of AI when the pumps were not alcohol compatable.
if this is true then how come in the snow performance kit it claims that higher concentrations of methanol raise egt's and as bbd stated a 13-15% mixture is best for egt control. wouldn't a 50-50 be better if what your saying is true. it is a fuel and as such im confused at how it can ignite and be cooler than water? not saying your incorect just want to understand where your cominf from.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:57 PM

Pour room temp methanol on your hands then pour room temp water on your hands and tell me which is colder then report back with your findings,lol,J/k.Snow Performance's claims mean nothing as even Superchips says a 75hp gain

Also water does not compress and therefore adds stress' to parts.Why do you think water/meth kits blow HG's on stock trucks?Cause water doesnt compress and it push's the gasket.At least thats my theroy.Ive had methanol injection on my gassers for about 5 years and my car's are more sensitive to knock and the ATS(air temp sensor)reads hotter about 20* hotter with a 10% water mix.With 50/50,the car runs no where near as good.

I dont see it being different with diesels but somone dyno and post up the results for us to see
Old 07-30-2006, 08:06 AM

the head gasket issue is due to detonation caused by to much methanol. yes it is cold on your hands, but put a match to it and put a match to water. one ignites one dosent. thats how i looked at it. we have ran it a little stronger than 50/50 and the truck ran strong, it also had a flame out the tail pipe while pulling the sled no lie so we definately had it mixed strong.

but straight water cooled better than 50/50. 50/50 just kicked a lot harder in the pants. we also set it to come on sooner than we should have. if you stabbed the throttle it would pop/miss, but it you roled into it it wouldn't and it felt strongest this way. it has worked great sled pulling but we havent noticed any egt drop running it 50/50 and stronger. straight however we do, a lower mixture might work as well, i just don't understand how a fuel can cool down combustion temps more than water even if it is initially colder?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by wana12v
the head gasket issue is due to detonation caused by to much methanol. yes it is cold on your hands, but put a match to it and put a match to water. one ignites one dosent. thats how i looked at it. we have ran it a little stronger than 50/50 and the truck ran strong, it also had a flame out the tail pipe while pulling the sled no lie so we definately had it mixed strong.

but straight water cooled better than 50/50. 50/50 just kicked a lot harder in the pants. we also set it to come on sooner than we should have. if you stabbed the throttle it would pop/miss, but it you roled into it it wouldn't and it felt strongest this way. it has worked great sled pulling but we havent noticed any egt drop running it 50/50 and stronger. straight however we do, a lower mixture might work as well, i just don't understand how a fuel can cool down combustion temps more than water even if it is initially colder?
Detonation???I think not as youd hear fuel knock on a diesel.

Ever ran straight methanol and dyno'd to support your claims?

Sure way to tell,go to AZ or a auto parts store and get a GM ATS(air temp sensor) and mount it pre alky in the air stream and do runs with both 50/50 and 100%.Ill bet $100 meth cools the air better.

When people finally accept the truth that 100% meth makes more power and cools better than a mix with water,well all be going faster
Old 07-30-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've installed two Snow systems for other folks. Both tow heavy and are very happy.
Both are running straight minus 40F windshield washer fluid and seeing a 150-200° drop in egts when the injector kicks in, boost kicks up at the same time. Both guys have had to go with a 5 gallon reservoir in the bed, they really suck it up on the long grades. Good thing is -40° washer fluid can be picked up for around $1/gallon.
One fellow had me readjust his so the second stage didn't kick in until 38 psi boost (which he rarely sees) in order to save on washer fluid.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ahollowtub
Detonation???I think not as youd hear fuel knock on a diesel.

Ever ran straight methanol and dyno'd to support your claims?

Sure way to tell,go to AZ or a auto parts store and get a GM ATS(air temp sensor) and mount it pre alky in the air stream and do runs with both 50/50 and 100%.Ill bet $100 meth cools the air better.

When people finally accept the truth that 100% meth makes more power and cools better than a mix with water,well all be going faster

DONT COME CRYING TO US WHEN YOUR HAVING HEAD GASKET PROBLEMS....

Haisleys are making 1500+hp with just diesel and water NO METH...

Don't be a meth head

jake
Old 07-30-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
DONT COME CRYING TO US WHEN YOUR HAVING HEAD GASKET PROBLEMS....

Haisleys are making 1500+hp with just diesel and water NO METH...
I wontbecause im wouldnt be dumb enough to put water in the mix

I know what makes HP and its not a mix with water.Show me a dyno sheet that says meth makes less HP,I really wanna see it.

YOU SEE THE CLAIMS ON THE CM KIT OF 300d egt drop??That was on straight methanol,not a mix

And no way in hell would I run ww fluid thru my engine.Meth is cheap.

Quick Reply: Ordered Water/Methanol Injection Kit