Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Optimum Timing for my application and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Optimum Timing for my application and other questions

Guys

headwork is next in my neck of the woods for my truck, and shortly afterwards a valet switch, larger injectors and full cut DV's are soon to follow after the switch.

My raised conern after that is timing, How much can i go with and still be able to safely tow loads ranging from a 500 lb bbq pit to 25000 on a gooseneck?

I will be puting in a 10 over gasket, and some 12mm ARP studs..

Im not so sure if im going to go with a SPS62 over the S400 either if it is gonna hurt my towing setup..

Am i asking too much for a High HP truck that can also be a towing beast? Can i possibly have a 550-650 horse truck and still tow with it? or am I setting my wants too high?

Any and all help and advice is appreciated

Thank again

Rick
Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing that kind of weight, it's a trade off!

I think the SPS62 might be a little large to tow with...but I towed with a HX40/16. With the valet, it helps a lot...you can run those bigger injectors and DV's, and still tow, but it's still a little finicky!

At 402hp, I was at 328hp on full fuel...it should have been more like 100-115hp difference, but I was limiting boost so bad it killed to power All my other valet vs. full fuel runs were about 110hp spread!

I would say 17-18* on the timing is all I would risk...if you're drive pressure is low enough, maybe go a little higher.

Basically, you're gonna have to play with it to get it where you want it!

Good luck towing with the higher power 12v...I was happy with mine, but I also wasn't at 500hp. The 12v isn't as versatile as the electronic engines, but I still like them better

Just remember that you can't have everything...or at least I never found that perfect combination of parts, yet!
Chris
Old 11-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
Towing that kind of weight, it's a trade off!

I think the SPS62 might be a little large to tow with...but I towed with a HX40/16. With the valet, it helps a lot...you can run those bigger injectors and DV's, and still tow, but it's still a little finicky!

At 402hp, I was at 328hp on full fuel...it should have been more like 100-115hp difference, but I was limiting boost so bad it killed to power All my other valet vs. full fuel runs were about 110hp spread!

I would say 17-18* on the timing is all I would risk...if you're drive pressure is low enough, maybe go a little higher.

Basically, you're gonna have to play with it to get it where you want it!

Good luck towing with the higher power 12v...I was happy with mine, but I also wasn't at 500hp. The 12v isn't as versatile as the electronic engines, but I still like them better

Just remember that you can't have everything...or at least I never found that perfect combination of parts, yet!
Chris
not gettin ya

what do u mean by finicky? so a 40/16 would work well for a top turbo? what about the destruction potential? I aint heard anything good bout any HX40 top turbo for now...

Thanks Chris!

Rick
Old 11-21-2006, 02:13 PM

I mean sometime it's gonna run really well, but other times, depending on the load, it might run hotter/not so well!

A high hp truck is not a tow rig, I don't care how you cut it, you can't have both the way you want it. You can have a good towing rig, but it won't cool enough for 600hp.

I was never as happy towing with any aftermarket charger, as I was towing with the stocker. Under 300hp, and towing, the stocker was effortless. You didn't have to downshift, you just drove!

Am I making sense yet?
Chris
Old 11-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned

if anything, I'd keep the stocker up top, but run a large aftermarket wastegate... would be a great towing setup, but will keep the drive pressure down and allow the bottom turbo to work when you're really leaning on it.

the top compressor isn't limiting you, the top turbine is!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
if anything, I'd keep the stocker up top, but run a large aftermarket wastegate... would be a great towing setup, but will keep the drive pressure down and allow the bottom turbo to work when you're really leaning on it.

Good point...that is also something to keep from having to go to a bigger, slower spooling charger!

It's a little work, but a really good solution!
Chris
Old 11-21-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing

Gotcha Forrest

makes me wonder if the big injectors and Full cuts are gonna be worth it, with the large wastegate will i be able to tow?

Keep in mind ill have a valet...

Thanks as well Chris

Rick
Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 PM

The wastegate will only affect the way the truck runs in positive ways...it will cost you money, and some time in tuning it though!

I would do the injectors first...the cut DV's are A LOT OF FUEL!!!! Then you can decide what to do next. Don't do them at the same time

Chris
Old 11-22-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by signature600
The wastegate will only affect the way the truck runs in positive ways...it will cost you money, and some time in tuning it though!

I would do the injectors first...the cut DV's are A LOT OF FUEL!!!! Then you can decide what to do next. Don't do them at the same time

Chris
Thanks Chris!

i do have some plans for more fuel for the truck, Im goin with some DDP4's possibly or if i decide to go nuts, some DragonFlow injectors from Industrial Injection, DV's will be full cut, and I will go with a valet switch to tow,

I know higher timing is prone to busting headgaskets, so now its got me wonderin about a copper gasket, I know they are messy and what not but if i was to get one would i be able to set higher timing and still tow?

Right now its lookin like im gonna just bump my timing to 18 or so max, after i toss on the gasket and studs....

If im on the wrong track for Injectors and DV's please let me know..

I guess ill have to settle for a midrange beast if thats what its gonna take...

Thanks guys!

Rick

PS on edit.. where do i find an external wastegate that will work with Rips twins?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:46 AM
BCB

ok i am after the exact same thing a 550-650hp truck that will tow up to 25,000 MAX. i am thinking ill just run my dodgezilla over a s400? will this hp level be possable with the 12cm ex housing on top?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:56 AM

Rick, if you get the injectors and they're not enough, get a hold of me. I've got a set of 022's that could be what you're looking for

As far as an external gate, a 38 or 40mm should be enough to keep things inline. Most guys use a Tial, but any will work. Check Ebay

BCB,
Using a Dodgezilla/12cm on top is OK if you use an external wastegate. IMO, the stock internal one won't bleed off enough pressure to keep drive pressures in check at higher boost!

Remember guys, 12v's need LOTS of flow to keep cool...their heads aren't as good as the newer trucks. I think you'll both find it's really hard to keep these trucks cool at 550-600 and trying to tow. That's why a valet switch is a necessity...it cuts that 550 down to ~425

IMHO,
Chris
Old 11-22-2006, 11:36 AM
BCB

can you explain how an external wastegate works real quick? as in where in line it is and what happens to the gases after they are gated.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 AM

You mount it before the turbo on the manifold, and it routs the gases around the charger. Just like a internal one, only it gives you a bigger opening, and it's easier to tune. They use spring AND boost pressure to hold them closed, until the pressure gets to where it's set, then it opens up! It also does a better job of regulating the pressure!

Chris
Old 11-22-2006, 11:53 AM
BCB

is bigger better? or is a 40 the biggest i should go?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:25 PM

do you want a tow rig, or a rig that is able to tow? you have a right foot, use it

Seriously, I was towing 250 bushel grain carts running corn today, hx50 charger, 33* timing, full cut dv's, p pumped 24v with 14:1 compression and a billet cam. While it is definately not a suitable tow rig (it's barely suitable to drive on the street at all) I was able to keep temps down with my foot.

timing- set it at 22*,fire-ring the head it will hold. mines holding 23* with studs and a marine gasket and 55psi boost.