Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Optima Red Tops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AlpineRAM
BB don't be so cruel to Haulin .
I just wanted to say that IMHO you shouldn't use the dual terminal batteries wherre you don't need the other terminal. (More risk of shorting something, and more expensive than necessary)

AlpineRAM
The Optimas come with screw in plugs for the side terminals, no risk of shorting if you keep the plugs on the batteries. I like my dual Optimas, they have more cranking amps than the one they replaced and they look nice under the hood too.

DB
Old 03-18-2004, 02:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by AlpineRAM
BB don't be so cruel to Haulin .
I just wanted to say that IMHO you shouldn't use the dual terminal batteries wherre you don't need the other terminal. (More risk of shorting something, and more expensive than necessary)

AlpineRAM
It was a joke. I can't even begin to feel his pain for having all of that happen. I was just trying to get a little chuckle out of him. Sorry if it offended anyone.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigBlue
It was a joke. I can't even begin to feel his pain for having all of that happen. I was just trying to get a little chuckle out of him. Sorry if it offended anyone.
Missed this thread Blue, no offense. If it wasn't so much work and money it would be funny. Anyone want some of my luck
Old 03-18-2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Missed this thread Blue, no offense. If it wasn't so much work and money it would be funny. Anyone want some of my luck
No way!

DB
Old 03-20-2004, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not so sure about only having only one battery in our trucks (in any area) and here is why. Even at 30-50 degrees the heating grids will cycle on and off until the motor is up to operating temperature. The fuel heater in the filter housing cycles off at 70 degrees F, and the lift pump is working hard. With all of this cycling the need for peak power (at idle) is tremendous and if the battery is "catching up" that means the power to all of these systems is lower than it would be if you have 2 batteries. Even the lift pump needs a constant peak power supply or you can weaken the motor (and the other systems) by not having enough power at idle. The result MAY be a shorter life span on these components.

Just a thought, I'm thinking way too much I know, but there are reasons the engineers put places for 2 batteries, and with 2 red tops you reduce the weight by 45 pounds. Just a comment.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no way to hurt a resistor by low power and the lift pump is designed to operate at reduced power as in key on before start.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:53 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
In my truck the heaters won't cycle for long- I usually start it up and after max. one minute I'm going too fast for the grids to be activated.
I second what Hauling says about the way the heaters and LP are built.
Actually I have a the same voltage drop with my single optima as with the two stockers even when they were still good.

AlpineRAM