Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Optima ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our city department tried Optimas in a number of their police cruisers. In talking with the shop foreman he said they didn't seem to last any better than any other battery they had tried, but did note that they didn't leak all over the place either. Of course you have to take in the extreme conditions of expecting any battery to last with ambient temps of 120+ in a vehicle that has tons of added on electronics and sits and idles most of it's life. I think in their case battery relocation would have been most beneficial.

I put the Mopar Orbital batteries in mine. They are made by exide (just like the junk stock replacements) and are the same battery as the Napa Select. My stock replacement mopar batteries were getting to the point that I was cleaning them on a weekly basis and I was still seeing the start of little acid trails down the sides. I've put quite a few Mopar Orbital batteries in customer vehicles (hard sell I might add!) and so far most have been pleased with the purchase, especially on the LH cars that have the battery buried in the fenderwell. Most here are "maintenance aware", but most of the people I deal with never expect to raise the hood on thier car/truck. Not having to worry about electrical issues due to an acid bath from a regular battery is worth the $$ and piece of mind for quite a few. In our climate two years is usually the lifespan of a battery, matter of fact I have a number of customers that consider that normal maintenance and just have them changed out every other year. While we have replaced two of the Orbital batteries over the years, I have a number of them going on their fourth year now and still going strong.....and clean.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caper,

The D31A group 31 yellow-top Optimas I put in my truck are about 1.5" TALLER than the stock batteries. The 34 Optimas or the 34/78s are much smaller batteries than the D31A yellow-tops. That is the reason I had to lengthen the bolts...they didn't want to quite thread in with the yellow-tops in there.

The yellow-tops cost about an extra $50 more than the red-tops. I am just more than a bit obsessive compulsive and wanted a battery that met the stock battery's minimum reserve capacity. Non of the red-tops do. This won't matter to 95% of the population, but I am one of the unfortunate few that would be tormented at night knowing that my batteries don't have at least 150 mins of RC Yes, I know I'm sick...
Old 08-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by jrihani
This won't matter to 95% of the population, but I am one of the unfortunate few that would be tormented at night knowing that my batteries don't have at least 150 mins of RC Yes, I know I'm sick...
Im the same way Ive got an ESPAR and live in a COLD climate.....needed lots of reserve so I slammed in Group 31 Commercials.

Caper, you can get the Group 31 Yellow Top Optimas in Edmonton - only $311 each
Old 08-06-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OPPS jrihani ,I thought ya had the red tops my bad. $311 each thats nuts, Warmart has the red 34s for $169 up here but they can't get them in ,great store eh . Oh well off to crappy tire for $180 each. Is the reserve capacity really important enough that it has to meet the POS stock batteries?????
Old 08-06-2005, 08:48 PM

Youre in Fort Mac right???

I dunno, reserve is pretty important in the cold. But, for what its worth, I can tell you that AlpineRam had ONE red top in his truck and he said that it sat unplugged for three days @ -35 C and the truck still started. Dont think you can really go wrong with Optimas and they seem to underrate their batteries in terms of power output. You're choice I guess.

I put in Group 31's - 1200 ca, 1000 cca, 192 minutes of reserve - a good deal (at least I think it was) for $100 each. I also upgraded the battery cables to 2/0 welding cable.

BTW, UFA Farm stores have the red tops for $146 (I just looked at them today):

http://www.ufa.net/html/locations/Bi...ly_stores.html
Old 08-06-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes Ft Mac, the land of money and empty store shelves. Ya gotta go to Edmonton to get anything.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:03 AM

not to make everyone raise a hiar on there body but the new premium dry cell deep cycle batterys at NAPA are made my optima if you read the warning label tag.....it says the same company of production and when you look into the NAPA battery and the optima battery they have IDENTICAL Crank amps and such..........just like there napa diesel oil 10-40 is the same thing as rotella 10-40....and there other oils are made my valvaline....
Old 08-07-2005, 09:22 AM

Well, since prices are flying I'll say that I got my D31A Optima yellow-tops from www.batteries.com for around $175 each. Shipping all 120 lbs of them isn't cheap but luckily their headquarters were right up the street from me.

I'm so glad a place exists where I can find other people this obsessed about batteries
Old 08-07-2005, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by storx
not to make everyone raise a hiar on there body but the new premium dry cell deep cycle batterys at NAPA are made my optima if you read the warning label tag.....it says the same company of production and when you look into the NAPA battery and the optima battery they have IDENTICAL Crank amps and such..........just like there napa diesel oil 10-40 is the same thing as rotella 10-40....and there other oils are made my valvaline....
While that may be true....it doesnt really apply to us. We have NAPA in Canada but its a very different store than the American NAPA's. Excellent info though. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My local Napa carries Champion brand "redtops" for $79.
They have the same great no corrosion features but the warranty isn't as long as Optima.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:58 AM

Infidel,

Are they in fact the same?? If so, Im probably gonna hit the closest NAPA in Montana and pick up a set.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:16 PM

had a double post.....
Old 08-07-2005, 12:18 PM

here in North Carolina we have the napa dry cell battery which is named Xtender.......they come in a case just like the optima and here is what all the stuff on the side of the battery i wrote down.....

Drycell sealed design

UPCS approved

No vent tube or acid damage

60% more starting power

Deep discharge reserve power

2 year storage life

Shipped fully charged

8 year design life

item # 18581

10" L x 6.8" W x 7.8" H and weighs 43.8 pounds

12v

750 CCA

900 CA

124 hours
Old 08-07-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Infidel,

Are they in fact the same?? If so, Im probably gonna hit the closest NAPA in Montana and pick up a set.
Dr, about all I can say about them is they look the same.
Another brand of dry cell I've heard is just as good as Optima is Odyssey.
My feeling is lead acid batteries will soon be extinct, dry and gel cells are so much better.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:20 PM

thanks fellas

Quick Reply: Optima ??