Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Optima ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just FYI I did check on the Odyssey's, went to their web site, pull up the nearest dealer, they did not stock the battery or any Odyssey's for that matter, and were terminating their relationship . . Not the service I'm looking for.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:23 PM

I had similar problems with local dealers for Odyssey batteries. It seems like they all stock the motorcycle batteries but act like I'm asking for plutonium when I talked about the 1200, 1700, and 2150. One dealer told me that there was no such thing as a 2150...I told him to check the website.

As an aside, I received very knowledgable and courtious service over the phone from www.odysseybatteries.com. The thought of shipping 140 lbs of batteries from the west coast didn't seem attractive.

I bought my Optimas from an internet company who just happened to be headquarted in my home town. After checking out and paying for shipping I called and asked if I could just pick them up. The said "no problem" and refunded my shipping.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:59 PM
DRM

Originally posted by jrihani
It will be interesting to see how much they vent/leak. My hope is that under normal loads and conditions the Optimas will not cause the same kind of corrosion I saw with the factory batteries.
They really should not leak at all - by design, and personal experience. So you should be ok in that department.
Venting - mainly there for pressure release, not a big issue - just light vapors, no liquid.

I have seen 'em swell and get *real* hot, but under normal use, even that should not be an issue.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:05 PM

A while back I had contacted Optima for their recommendation for my 98. They said the Red 34/78 with a G78 hold-down adapter is what's best. Haven't bought them yet because I don't need them but would very seriously consider a pair. JMO. Has anyone seen this adapter?

Paul
Old 08-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Paul Winey
Has anyone seen this adapter?
I assume it's like the adaptor that comes with most batteries you buy. Just snaps to the bottom.
Venting is no problem, Optima claims that their batteries can be installed in any position, even upside down.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 PM

Just to let you know how the hunt for Optima Red Tops is going in Ct. Called local Auto Zone, he has 2 on the shelf, get there he's only got 1 and the thing looks like it's been kicked around a garage for years. Please order me 2 new in the box, No Can Do he says, checks another store, they have 2, I stress the point of 118 bucks each they'd better look new. Deep Scatches on each one. Guess I'll check Sears tomorrow
Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jrihani
Throw in the "jewelry" factor for underhood good looks and I'm glad I dropped the money.
They do look sweet under there, don't they.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:34 AM

Not to spread a rumor but I thought I read somewhere that in the past couple years Optima's reputation has dwindled a bit as they were bought out by some other company who was making their quality sub-standard. The person who said this recommended going with a offbrand battery similiar to the Optima, like Napa or something like that instead.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:58 AM

If I remember correctly the info on my batteries still had Johnson Controls as the parent manufacturer.

The local Interstate distributor said they had a 100pc backorder on the D31A Optimas and couldn't tell me when they would have more. www.batteries.com not only had a better price on them and had them in stock, but I also found out they were right here in Indianapolis and would let me come pick up the batteries

Batteries were brand new, sealed in shrink wrap, and cosmetically perfect.

Loving them so far. As I described earlier in the thread, I had to lengthen the battery bolts and trim a little stiffener ear on the driver's side tray. I also cut some pieces of 1/4" rubber to act as spacers at the top of the factory hold-downs. They also keep the hold-down off of the top of the battery and the sticker. Don't know how long the sticker will last but this should help it out a bit.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you keep your eyes open sometimes http://www.summitracing.com/ or http://www.jegs.com/
will have redtops on sale with free shipping.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:58 PM
DRM

Well, I just called Advance Auto, and my latest dead Red Top was purchased in May of 2004, and it was dead by February of this year.

Gonna take it in and see about a warranty replacement... Since I paid for it, might as well use that warranty. Guess one of the tractors could use a new battery
Old 08-05-2005, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jrinahi are you talking about making the hold down bolts longer?? Please explain I thought if you put a shorter battery in you would have to cut some of the bolt off so it would'n bottom out on the fender under the tray.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:48 PM

Well picked up the Red Tops at Sears after work for $253 out the door, finished the install without any problems, didn't have any wire harness issues or shimming to do. An easy job for a change:. Turns her over real good and looks good doing it. Hunting season's just around the corner and I Don't need any problems after a long day in the Deer Woods I'd like to Thank Everyone for the input and opinions if we all agreed on the same issues it would become quite dull
Old 08-05-2005, 09:47 PM
DRM

After an hour at Advance Auto for them to "test" the Red top, I have a new one sitting in the shop - replaced under warranty, with 22 months still available for free replacement and even more after that for a pro-rated replacement.

Maybe *this* one will last more than 6 months
Old 08-05-2005, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced my original Mopar batteries in my '97 yesterday. They finally gave up the ghost and left me stranded 30 miles from home. My wife had to come and bail me out. I picked up a pair of shiny new 34/78-OR Optima's at Autozone for $119.99 a pop.

Quick Reply: Optima ??