Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Opinions of Lukes Link for track Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 AM
J_T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions of Lukes Link for track Bar?

How well does it work?
How long between rebuilds?
Any other opinions on them Thanks?

JT
Old 02-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

If your truck has the OEM front spring, and not "leveling" springs. Luke Link the OEM bar. They may loosen up over time, but can be re-tightened at the ball joint.

If you have leveling springs on the front, look into Don Thuren's 0"-3" adjustable length T-Bar. This will re-center your axle and will make a world of difference (IMO) in reducing wandering..

EDIT: I just read your signature. Are you still running the OEM bar w/ the 4" lift?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:47 AM

I like Luke's links on the tie rods; however, I think it would only be a temporary fix for the trackbar.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:51 PM
J_T

With the suspension lift there is a lowered mounting point for the stock trackbar. I originally ordered the Thuren Track bar and I tried to remove the lowered mount which is welded to the original location. Well it was going to mess too much up and take a cutting torch. So I canceled the adjustable trackbar decided on a lukes link for now so save some dough that I wasn't expecting to spend on a steering box. I was told by some locals that have had the luke links in the track bar that they aren't wearing out like the original ball/Socket joint. That they have NOT needed adjusting or shimming in > 50K miles so because of the cost and the availability and the ease I am going to lukes link my trackbar now as well as my tie rod ends, new Steering box from AGR, and DSS to fix my steering woes! Locals and the shop that have been installing them (the track bar) this way see the lukes link as a permanent fix for the track bar and they talk of the addition of a washer as a rare occurrence in out diesel trucks! But I was wanting more opinions from other people that have used them elsewhere and how they are happy unhappy with them?

I'm hoping its NOT a temporary fix for the track bar b/c it too expensive for a temporary fix. (b/c I consider the cost of the new steering box b/c of the track bar and I don't want to keep replacing that!)
Thanks in advance!

JT
Old 02-25-2007, 02:58 PM

I've heard excellent stuff about the Luke's Link in the track bar. I ordered one, it's sitting in the truck. Haven't installed it yet due to lack of time.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM

Luke's Link is a band aid for the track bar, the bushing inside the ball joint will still wear out and get sloppy. That's just a bad application for a ball joint.

I'd suggest using a cutoff wheel on a 4" grinder instead of a hot wrench to take the track bar bracket off and then put Thuren's bar on.

I'd also suggest staying away from AGR.....their reputation for quality has taken a pretty steep slide in the last few years.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Luke's Link on mine. I had to tighten it every oil change. After about 15,000 miles it was ready for a rebuild, so I put on a Thuren Fab track bar so I could center the axle and not have to mess with it for a good long time. If everything else is stock, or on a half-ton, it's probably a pretty good solution.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:56 PM

Look on the PDR at the DSS kit and the kit to retrofit a 3rd gen trackbar. I used it on my truck and it drives better than new. Its not CHEEP ( Quality or price) but its worth every penney. The ball joint is junk. They also have an adjustable trackbar thats good for 3" lift but would prob work on a 4".
Old 02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by J_T
.. new Steering box from AGR
Stay far, far away from AGR. Their quality control is non-exsistent. So is customer service. My $$$ AGR Chuck loosened up after 1 month. I had to pull it out again and send it back for warranty work. When I got it back there was no documentation what so ever with it saying it had even be looked at???