Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

opinions on a intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinions on a home made intake?

im getting rid of the k&n intake tube,filter, and stock box that i have in my truck now. im wanting to make my own, but my dad says im a f*****g idiot for wanting to do it myself. im wanting to get a 5" or 6" piece of pipe with a mandrel 90* bend, polish it, and make it shine, and get a boot that will go from the turbo inlet to the pipe, then on the other end get the biggest greenfilter (greenfilterusa.com) they make, and clamp it on the other end, and possibly a filter skin to keep water off the filter. Do yall think this will work, or am i a idiot like my dad says, and should buy a name brand kit? homemade=price of filter or kit=$200+
i dunno, yall tell me?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Banned

IMO if you want to do it yourself, just to a BHAF and heatsheild.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM

how would i run that if im going to get rid of the k&n intake tube, and i dont have any of the original parts, excet the stock box? i dont think that woud fit right with the k&n tube and one of the enourmous filters ive seen around here.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by floridadieselki
how would i run that if im going to get rid of the k&n intake tube,

Go to the hardware store and but some of that cheap plastic tubing they use for clothes dryers exhaust.... Naa on a more serious note I would check around here maybe someone has 1 for sale, or maybe you'll just get one for nothin who knows, check er' out..
Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

you can use your factory intake tube for the bhaf
Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aggiehorsepower
you can use your factory intake tube for the bhaf
Yeah, the tube that connects the box to the turbo fits right over the flange on a BHAF, or did you throw the tube away, and just keep the box?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 PM

the only thing i have left from mine is the box, but my dad has his whole intake from our 01' out in the shed. will the tube off of that work on my truck?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

Yes, I would try the BHAF with the stock tube first, it is about the same as what you wanted to build, but less work. There should be a Green Filter that would cross referance to the number, if you want to use one of theirs.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:57 PM

i really don't think it matters what tube or connectors you use for your project as long as you hit your goal of cleaning the air that goes into your turbo. i've done this on several tractors/trucks. come right off the carb/turbo with a pipe and use a 'clamp on' type filter. heck, i've even routed the air thru a pre-cleaner on my ford tractor. and it don't matter what kind of tube/pipe you use just make sure the connectors/tubing are completly sealed so 100% of the air comes thru the filter.
you can find any size tube connector on ebay.
dude, it's your truck. make it how you want. make it custom

...oh, and the oil samples come back clean so i know it works.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by garretch
i really don't think it matters what tube or connectors you use for your project as long as you hit your goal of cleaning the air that goes into your turbo.
What we are saying is that he doesn't need to make the pipe, he (well his dad as it turns out) has one... Yeah he could make one if he wanted, but it is not necessary.

I was thinking he should try the filter off the stock tube first, that way he is not out the labor if he does not like the open filter, since some don't like the sound. If he likes it, it would then npt be a big deal to fab up a shiney tube whenever he has the time.

And from reading his other threads he needs to get the K&N off his truck pretty soon...
Old 12-02-2006, 02:56 PM

yea, the k&n i got in there is aweful, and needs to come out sometime like whenever the old owner put it in. i guess im going to get the huge trashcan size filter, and get my dads old intake pipe and try it out. the sound isnt a issue, between my 6" duals and the motor noise, and lack of a radio for 6-8 months at this point right now, it wont bother me a bit. i like the sound of the turbo spooling, and watching my boost gause peg 40-45 psi. any other opinions or input is still welcome, cause it isnt a done thing yet.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:04 PM

I built myself a custom air intake with an AFE filter and pre-filter. Used the stock intake tube to chunk of 4" schedule 40 pipe (OD of 4 1/2") had to put it in a lathe to turn down half of it to 4 3/8" to fit the stock intake tube.

I enjoy building things myself but if you figure out the time and materials it is probably cheaper just to buy someone else design.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:12 PM

yea, i talked to my dad some more today,and explained it out in detail, and he even said that my idea ought to work real well, but he said not to use steel tube, or any other metal tubing because this will transfer heat, and make my intake air alot warmer. he said to use a piece of poly tubing, because it will flex real easy, and wont transfer heat. sounds good it theory, but do they make that kind of tubing with a inside diameter that will fit over my turbo.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 PM

does anyone have any pics of the bhaf on a 12v, or a pic of a custom intake tube on a 12v?? i want to get a idea of where/ how they mount. only reason for this, is i want to see how much bend i will have to put in a aluminum pipe. i found a 4" piece of polished aluminum pipe that has a 90* bend in it, the pipe will only be about 2" from the turbo to the 90, then another 2" to where the filter will mount. will this size/ pipe work, or will i have to go bigger?