Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Opinions of an HX 40 on a 24 valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go with the SuperB, before the HX40.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
The best way I have come up with to explain what an HX40 is like is think of it like going out and buying a VCR today. Does it work? yes.. is there newer more efficient technology out there? Yes.
They do spool quite slow and are prone to breaking shafts. Other than that for some people they are going to be a cost effective choice. If your truck is a hot rod then you can make it work. If you tow and tow heavy there are going to be better options out there.

You are obviously going to be biased seeing as you work for BD.

Im not saying the HX40 is the latest and greatest technology, because it isnt, but they do not spool that slow, and the shafts are fine unless you bark them on a constant basis.

The S300G that you all sell probably wont break the shaft very easy, but Im sure it is hard on the thrust plate, etc in the turbo. It may not fail all of a sudden, but it will take its toll after a while. Your best bet for any turbo if you want it to last is to try to keep from barking it.

I tow pretty heavy often enough in the summer, and I have no problems with mine. It comes up on the boost fairly quick, and I can have full boost by 1600rpm. I have been very pleased with mine for the $300 I have in it.

I do think the Super B you guys sell is a great turbo. But I feel the HX40 will perform very close to the same, with slightly slower spool up, slightly better exhaust flow, and of course a weaker shaft.

The deal breaker for me was that when i was looking for a turbo. The cheapest used Super B i could find was $600+. I got into my HX40 with a downpipe for $300.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...7&d=1243013282

The HX40 has no problems with loads like that.

Eric
Old 07-03-2009, 03:29 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
You are obviously going to be biased seeing as you work for BD.

Im not saying the HX40 is the latest and greatest technology, because it isnt, but they do not spool that slow, and the shafts are fine unless you bark them on a constant basis.

The S300G that you all sell probably wont break the shaft very easy, but Im sure it is hard on the thrust plate, etc in the turbo. It may not fail all of a sudden, but it will take its toll after a while. Your best bet for any turbo if you want it to last is to try to keep from barking it.

I tow pretty heavy often enough in the summer, and I have no problems with mine. It comes up on the boost fairly quick, and I can have full boost by 1600rpm. I have been very pleased with mine for the $300 I have in it.

I do think the Super B you guys sell is a great turbo. But I feel the HX40 will perform very close to the same, with slightly slower spool up, slightly better exhaust flow, and of course a weaker shaft.

The deal breaker for me was that when i was looking for a turbo. The cheapest used Super B i could find was $600+. I got into my HX40 with a downpipe for $300.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...7&d=1243013282

The HX40 has no problems with loads like that.

Eric
This isnt a situation where I am being bias. I didnt mention anything about our turbos. I have driven lots of different turbos on lots of different trucks. In my experience it seems like you are being a little bit generous with rpm that they spool at. Like I said there is nothing wrong with the turbo, just more efficient options out there.
Now for the strenght the Super B has a 6 pad thrust bearing in them that is much stronger than the stock one. Barking a turbo is never good for it, but it will definately take a lot to break a S300G
Old 07-04-2009, 02:23 AM

You dont have to say anything about your turbo's to be biased. Like i said, Im not downplaying your products. I wouldnt hesitate to run a Super B, but its not cost effective to me. At least for now.

Im not being generous with the RPM it spools at. That is simply where it spools. Maybe it has been a while since you were in a truck with an HX40?

Watch this video. Skip to 51 seconds. I rolled into it in overdrive and it was easily spooled by 1600rpm. This was also in valet mode with less fuel than normal. You can see the boost gauge(top) when i bring the camera up. The most it will make in valet mode is 30psi which is in the higher RPM. The boost gauge is at about 27psi. You can hear it really come on about 1500rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz2dF...e=channel_page

Eric