Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Opinions on a good 315/75R16 snow tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on a good 315/75R16 snow tire?

I know it seems a little early, but I like to plan ahead, especially in Montana. It could snow next week. Mountains already got a dusting a week or two ago.

I have 315/75R16 Pro Comp MTs(siped) on my nice ION wheels. They don't have a ton of tread left, at least not what I would like for winter. I have the stock wheels and I'm thinkin I would like to have a nice set of studded snow tires.

I've never had a set of snow tires. Over the last 7 years, I've had Kumho ATs on a S10 Blazer, BFG MTs on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Cooper STs on a 04 GMC 1/2 ton and then the Pro Comps last winter on the Cummins. The S10 in Maine, the rest in Montana. So, both snowy and icy places.

While the Pro Comps were probably the worst tire for snow, or at least packed snow and ice, I was the most impressed with the Cummins of any of my other vehicles in the snow. Probably because it was the heaviest and the manual tranny maybe?

I've picked out a few choices. Get a another set of Pro Comp MTs and stud and sipe this set. Very spendy, probably right around $1000

Also, Cooper S/Ts, studded and siped are $230 a tire or $920
General Grabber ATs are about $170 a tire mounted/balanced/studded, if I get them from Tire Rack, then have local tire shop mount and stud, $680
Looking on Ebay, I also see the Maxxis Big Horn MT for $588 shipped(plus $12.50 and $15) so $698

Any other good choices? Would like to get a studded set of tires.

Links
General Grabber ATs
Maxxis
Old 08-25-2006, 08:30 PM

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...andar+I%2FT%2B

i am looking for 36" snow tires with no luck, but this is as close as i have found

you should see my "driveway" - about 700' vert over about a mile on the odo - not fun with snow, which we have plenty of! looking for some big tire chains...
Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 PM

I need something way more aggressive then that

I end up driving into or breaking trail into a lot of snowmobile parking lots, with a 4 place. Need something at least aggressive all terrain caliber. Those would get stuck in a foot of snow and are only C load range.

That is why I like mud tires. Excellent self cleaning for deep snow.

My lack of posi is ridiculous too. A true trac is going in next year for sure.

I like to be able to get through at least 18" of snow, with a trailer if need be.

Bigger lift next year too, that way I can chain up the 35s.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use to live up north, so have had expirience with snow tires.
I would go with Toyo's A/T for mildly aggressive, and very quiet on the road... or M/T for all out aggressive.
http://www.teamtoyo.com/products/

My A/T's clear mud well.... M/T's are flat out awesome, from what I've seen, but noisey. Both are big, wide open treads.... better for clearing grooves, IMO.

Added possible plus for M/T's...they are E-Rated (in the 35x12.5x16).

RJ
Old 08-26-2006, 10:33 AM

for a long lasting tire i would stay away from the toyo's i haul and play in the mud with work and have run them and not seeing a loing life out of them. best tire that i have run so far that lasts is that mickey thompson dick cepek fun country 2. they lasted a good length of time i took them off after 90,000km and still had not bad tread on them. also there is some good coopers out there.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:14 AM

Firestone Destination MT's are an awesome mud/snow tire. And as a bonus they look good too.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:10 PM

i recommend the BFG A/T. Good all year round in anything you can find.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:38 PM

Do not stud the Pro Comp M/T's
I studded a set of 31's for my beater Toy and a set of 30's for my wife's Wrangler after about 1500 miles they wear down enough and get enough flex in the cleats they throw the studs. My drivers side mirror on the Toy looks like a .30 bullet went through it and the passengers side fender flare of the J$$p is in about 10 pieces, just lucky there wasn't anyone around to get hit with it. Both times I thought someone had taken a pot shot at the trucks with a .22. I also live on a hellish hill and found chains for the 31's, 30's and 33's (they do sell larger) at 4 Wheel Parts they ran anywhere from $65-$125 and the tensioners I got from Cabelas, they are like a dog chain with 5 heavy springs. They are a ***** to get adjusted right but you only gotta do it once and they never break or loosen up.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:26 PM

It sounds like you mite not like the ProComps but around here ProComp Xterrains are the tires most are running. Most are getting good mileage out of them for the kind of tread the Xterrains have.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by MADMATT
for a long lasting tire i would stay away from the toyo's i haul and play in the mud with work and have run them and not seeing a loing life out of them. best tire that i have run so far that lasts is that mickey thompson dick cepek fun country 2. they lasted a good length of time i took them off after 90,000km and still had not bad tread on them. also there is some good coopers out there.
Yep,Ive heard lots of guys preach about the toyos,but they were in 6.5 gm 1/2 tons.them cepeks sound nice.Do they make em in a D or E ? Im sick of crappy tires that last only 40k.I drive on a lot of farmland and dirt roads where I work and it kills tires.But at the same time its a 800km trip on the highway to get there first.Anyone got any suggestions as to a tire i can get 60000 km out of while driving it all year in all conditions with a 7500lb truck and a slip tank in it to boot?
Old 08-26-2006, 11:24 PM

Michelins last forever but don't have much traction

My buddy had 70k miles on a set of 245 Michelin LTX M/S on a 98.5 QC SB 4x4 Cummins.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MADMATT
also there is some good coopers out there.
Cooper S/T is a good, long wearing, fairly aggressive tire. I have several freinds that have run them on winter trips up north, and were very happy with them in the snow. Including hunting, driving in deep snow.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:26 PM

I have found the BFG allterrain TA KO's to be excelent snow tires. Great all year round too. Even tons of traction on dryed dirt to pull stumps. there quite, good in rain seem to be getting fair millage. wear well. If you get some though get the ones with white letters. The all black walls are NOT sever weather rated (the ones that come with the h2's and some others) only the white letterd ones are rated for sevear weather. they have 34.5" for a 16" wheel. We run a 33.4"x11 or so on the stock 16" wheels. They also have a 37" thats closer to 36" x12.5
Old 08-27-2006, 07:33 PM

I believe the bridgestone revos are by far the best all terrain for any circumstance. The BFG all terrains are a good tire but doesn't have a chance in anything other than dry dirt.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:52 PM

ive been very pleased with the BFG M/T's on my truck but i am going to DUNLOP RADIAL MUD ROVERS next time. they are good priced and last forever. they grip good in the mud and snow and wear great. check tire rack . they have just about anything you are looking for and give reviews on every tire they have.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a good 315/75R16 snow tire?