Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Operation Freaky Rabbit

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 10:23 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Operation Freaky Rabbit

How to fix your 03's fuel system.

Maybe.

Disclaimer: If any competitors are reading this message to build their own 03 fuel system, you will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Still reading?

Don't say we didn't warn you.

Anyway, after running my 03's injection pump dry again, I decided it was time to get busy and look into fixing up this lousy fuel system. With only an Edge EZ in 80 HP mode, I've been repeatedly running my CP3 dry after long, hard, full throttle runs.

When new, our 03 would register about 9.5 PSI of idle pressure, and at WOT throttle would pull down to approximately 5 PSI of pressure. Not wonderful, but also enough flow to keep the stock HO engine happy. Eventually, pressure dropped to 8.5 PSI at idle, and 4 PSI at WOT. With the addition of the Edge EZ, my idle pressures haven't been changing much, however WOT throttle pressures have slowly been getting worse and worse, and recently I've been driving the system into vacuum, with stumbling after hard, full throttle runs.

This afternoon, we set to work and added our custom 12mm x 1.5 x -8AN custom fittings to the CP3 and the bottom of the filter housing. Originally, we had planned to test out a -6 fitting kit put together by DTR's very own Ed "Looney as an Outhouse Rat" Looney (many thanks for the kit, Ed), however Cummins' new filter housing has a couple braces on it, and Ed's fittings with their larger wrench heads wouldn't fit for us. So we went with the -8 fittings from the 2nd Gen kits. In between these two fittings, we ran -8 stainless braided hose with some steel 90 degree swivels.

Installation was more of a headache than on an 02 and under. I learned some new swear words, until we noticed that you can see the bottom of the filter canister from the wheel well. After that, installation went MUCH easier

Anyway, end result: 10 PSI at idle, WOT throttle pressure between 2 PSI and 4 PSI. No stumble at all. We won't be running this system in its current incarnation for long, as we're stepping up to more ponies shortly, and moving to the PE4100 pump, however it does look as though the stocker lift pump can handle an Edge EZ with the addition of the -8 lines (we did try high flow banjos earlier, with no good results).

So, I need a test mule or two who are currently running Edge EZ's in the 80 pony mode, and who have fuel pressure gauges. I'd prefer someone who puts on a fair number of miles as well. The kits will be free of charge for the selected guinea pigs, and this offer is only open to Diesel Truck Resource members (gotta support this great site). Anyone whose interested, just toss me a PM or email rod@wildcatdiesel.com

Rod
Old 06-14-2003, 10:40 PM

Re:Operation Freaky Rabbit

when are you going to test stuffon the older 12v motors. I have one and woult LOVE to get something to test DM01
Old 06-15-2003, 08:52 AM

Man did I get excited for a second! I thought Rod had great bunny huntin story for us. :'( <br><br>Rod you big tease.<br><br>And I secnd what DM said about the 12v's.<br>Send us some stuff to test!<br>
Old 06-15-2003, 09:03 AM

I would do it for ya but I cant cause I already did it. Now if you need to test out a B1 or something Ill be right on it. Dont wait too long or Ill be testing something else. ;D