Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

One piece driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One piece driveshaft

right now im dealing with problems in u-joints and the carrier bearing, and was thinking a one piece would be better for pulling next season anyway.

any cons to the one piece other than less ground clearance? also can one piece shafts be used with the slip yoke style or do i need to modify my t-case for a yoke on the output shaft?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:37 AM

you can only have a slip style driveshaft if its one piece. it needs to be able to slide in and out of there when the rear axle moves up and down.

I think there is a company that makes a slip yoke eliminator kit, then you will need a 2 piece driveshaft, but not the kind you have with the carrier bearing, just one similar to your front shaft how it has splines on it and the 2 pieces slide together.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LanceD
you can only have a slip style driveshaft if its one piece. it needs to be able to slide in and out of there when the rear axle moves up and down.

I think there is a company that makes a slip yoke eliminator kit, then you will need a 2 piece driveshaft, but not the kind you have with the carrier bearing, just one similar to your front shaft how it has splines on it and the 2 pieces slide together.
ok i understand now, i was thinking of that but wasnt sure. i think im gonna see about getting a one piece shaft made with upgraded yokes/joints before pulling season. this is the second carrier bearing that has gotten weak on me and my u-joints have some slop in them
Old 12-22-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you make adjustments in the diameter/thickness of the material, a one-piece driveshaft will have lower lateral critical vibration frequencies than two shorter two-piece driveshafts. If these critical frequencies are moved down into the driveshaft's operating range, you could experience driveshaft "whip".

Rusty
Old 12-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Banned

ok well here is my issue, when i go to take off, i feel a bang/clunk in the drive train as the clutch disk engages, its very noticable and sometimes even does this on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. ive checked the rear...its tight, there is normal play at the tailshaft of the t-case. the only noticable (1/8 -1/4") movement i can find is in the carrier bearing. i mean i can wiggle it all around like the rubber has degraded and gotten real soft.

i think that when i go to take off and the DS torques/starts to move it is throwing itself to one side and flexing that rubber enough to make it clunk. amd im also getting a grinding/vibration/groaning sound when slowing down about 25 mph and it stops around 15mph which wasnt there til the last few weeks.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:35 AM

if you can move it 1/8-1/4 inch by hand, your 1000 lbft engine probably moves it a lot more haha. have someone look under at it when you put it in gear
Old 12-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Banned

anyone sell a heavier duty carrier bearing that will support the tq?

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2006, 10:21 AM

I don't think an issue with the carrier bearing is torque. It's mounted in a rubber bushing!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think if you are experiencing a metal on metal clunking sound, you should look elsewhere for the problem than the drive shaft hanger bearing. Look for worn out u-joints and excessive ring and pinion back lash as possible problems.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:27 AM

I have a 180 thousandths thick 4" 1 piece driveshaft on my truck.
It works quite well.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Both my standard cab trucks came stock with one piece driveshafts.
Ford finally gave up on two piece shafts a couple of years ago and went to a heavier single.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by getblown5.9
ok i understand now, i was thinking of that but wasnt sure. i think im gonna see about getting a one piece shaft made with upgraded yokes/joints before pulling season. this is the second carrier bearing that has gotten weak on me and my u-joints have some slop in them
Another thing to consider...

if you have a dana 80 rear end, DC has DISCONTINUED the drive shafts and some parts, ask me how i know... I too have contemplated the one piece drive shaft as well.. Who would be able to make them tho? I dont have a machine shop capable here in laredo...

Rick
Old 12-23-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just replace your carrier bearing. Mine got a little noisey at 100,000 miles... replaced it....no problems since!

RJ
Old 12-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Just replace your carrier bearing. Mine got a little noisey at 100,000 miles... replaced it....no problems since!

RJ
this one only has about 38k on it, but im not exactly an easy style driver!

i also have other problems somwhere, i dunno if its transfer case or what but i have something loose/broken in my driveline. not to mention the every time i hit a bump it feels like my control arms are falling off the front axle and ripping from the frame.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:21 AM

www.highangledriveline.com

I got a custom shaft made by them and it is top notch. You can get a CV shaft and never have vibes again! You could also upgrade everything to 1410 joints if you're so inclined.

Quick Reply: One piece driveshaft