Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Once And For All......

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? 1K, 2K, 3K, keep going. IMO sell the truck and buy the one you want. I was at a auction last week and they sold a 01 dually 6 speed with 250K and a knock in the motor for $5800 it would probably have been the easiest way to do such a swap.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
How much are you willing to spend? 1K, 2K, 3K, keep going. IMO sell the truck and buy the one you want. I was at a auction last week and they sold a 01 dually 6 speed with 250K and a knock in the motor for $5800 it would probably have been the easiest way to do such a swap.
It might be cheaper to do it your way, but I like many people on this board have found that to get the EXACT truck you want it sometimes will take years. Personally, I love almost my truck almost EXACTLY how it is. Sure, it has options I wasn't originally look for but now that I have them I don't want to give them up. To me I'd rather keep MY truck and make it more like how I want it.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been people who have done it. You do not need the PCM. You may have to have yours reflashed for a manual. You dont not need a new/differant steering column. Pull the plastic off and knock the pin out that holds the AT shifter on and put the plastic back on. The one person I talked with just put a piece of electrical tape over the gear selector. If you're interested I've got all the parts to do the swap on a 98+.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
many people on this board have found that to get the EXACT truck you want it sometimes will take years.
??? if you want a different transmission, is not the "EXACT" truck you want
Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
??? if you want a different transmission, is not the "EXACT" truck you want
I think you missed his overall point. Which (in my opinion) is that people ended up with the truck they want for the most part with a few things different, I.E. in the OP's eyes would be a manual transmission. It may be because of a lifestyle change, reliability issues they thought they could deal with, etc, etc, etc. Mostly I think he was trying to say that people like the truck they have and would rather modify it to be the EXACT truck they want instead of close to it, than to go out and buy another truck, even if it costs a little more.

I can't beleive it would really be that hard to do this swap. Aside from getting all the parts around I can't imagine there is really any glaring obstacles that would make this an impossible job. Just from looking at how cheap you can get the individual parts I think it would be cheaper to collect them over time individually. On the other hand it would be WAY easier to buy a donor truck. Also keep in mind if you buy a donor truck you will have a lot of leftover parts you can turn around and sell to even out your expenses.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:50 AM

I used to laugh every time somebody brought up this subject... now I just roll my eyes. Nine times out of ten, the person hasn't the slighest clue as to just how big of absolute pain in the *** it is to do such a swap. I remember guys coming onto the corvette forums asking the same thing, guys just got tired of those kinda threads and ended up telling'em to sell their auto equipped car and buy a manual. Just save yourself the long hard days of frustration, an empty wallet, and downed vehicle. Put the money towards a built auto. It'd be done in a couple days, you wouldn't have to mess with it, and I bet it'd be cheaper too.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1BAD4X4
I used to laugh every time somebody brought up this subject... now I just roll my eyes. Nine times out of ten, the person hasn't the slighest clue as to just how big of absolute pain in the *** it is to do such a swap. I remember guys coming onto the corvette forums asking the same thing, guys just got tired of those kinda threads and ended up telling'em to sell their auto equipped car and buy a manual. Just save yourself the long hard days of frustration, an empty wallet, and downed vehicle. Put the money towards a built auto. It'd be done in a couple days, you wouldn't have to mess with it, and I bet it'd be cheaper too.
exactly

stupidcharacterlimit
Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JHew84
I think you missed his overall point.
i think you missed the sarcasm
Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1BAD4X4
Yup same on Camaro Forums like CamaroZ28.com. I did a swap, but it was from a 4L60E to a 4L80E. Lot's of people just dont get it.

-Dustin-
Old 11-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually if you do a search there have been many who have done this swap. It isn't hard if you know how to turn wrench. I gathered all the parts including a new trany for about the same as it would have cost to rebuild an AT. And it only takes a weekend to do.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:04 AM

I done mine in a few hours on a sat cost including the Con-fe and 13" flywheel was $2600. The swap on a 12v is as easy as taking the auto out and putting the manual in. A few wires and cut a hole in the floor. As far as the 24v is concerned I don't know. I didn't remove the stering column just the shifter and the dash still has the gear selctor in it but oh well. I was able to use the orignal drive shafts as well. Me and my father was surprised that it turned out as easy as it did. The hardest part was finding a NV-4500 truck in the salvage yards. That took 3 months.