Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Once And For All......

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once And For All......

Has anyone with a 24v auto trans swapped in a manual?

I have searched and searched and the only ones I can find are all 12v

If you've done it, where did you get the kit, or parts and/or what shop did it for you?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:19 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a guy on another forum who parts out trucks. He says he can sell a complete package with everything you'll need, at a reasonable price. I'm thinking of using him IF I decide to do this swap. I've also seen him on EBay selling items. PM me and I'll give you his name.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:02 PM

I keep contemplating the idea, but to be honest I don't know if anyone has or not on a 24v. I can only ASSume someone has, but who knows. My biggest issue is making sure my cruise works, pushing the clutch deactivates the cruise, etc... Basically I'd want it to function EXACTLY like a stock manual should or I have no interest in doing it.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:16 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
In order for it to be done properly, you'd have to also swap out the gauge cluster, steering column and the ECM.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
In order for it to be done properly, you'd have to also swap out the gauge cluster, steering column and the ECM.
What's the deal with the gauge cluster? Just because of the lights in the lower right that show you what gear your in? I can't imagine its too much fun swapping the steering column...
Old 11-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Chapter President

I'm not worried about the cruise working.....(it doesn't work as of now). Nor am I worried about the steering colom or the dash! I just want to swap the trans out, disconnect the electronics for the auto trans, cut the gearshift **** off flush and use the truck

This truck is now almost 10 years old!

I just want to row through the gears and not worry so much about the auto trans!!!!

SO AGAIN:

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS TO A 24v?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:56 PM

SO AGAIN:

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS TO A 24v?
[/QUOTE]

There is no need to get hostile and YELL!!everyone is hear to help if anyone has done this I'm sure they will chime in at some point, other wise maybe you should have put a different title name on this so people would know from first glance what it is you are wanting help with!

JMHO
Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Chapter President

bump............
Old 11-24-2007, 09:53 PM

I know a guy that worked for 2 years to do this and he finally did but, he used something that uses a laptop to shift gears?

It looked like a nightmare to me.

Seems it would be cheaper to trade your truck in or sell it and buy an auto truck and go that way? Sure you might loose a little buying and selling but, an auto swap is not going to be cheap.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:55 PM

A laptop to shift a 6 speed manual??????
Old 11-24-2007, 09:57 PM

money+time+hassle=crazy IMO
Old 11-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Chapter President

I know its not easy...

If it was easy, i would bet there would be a lot of people who have done it!

Qzilla, I have the auto....i want a manual, so I don't think that a laptop shifing will help much with physically moving the stick from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5.......or 6

Anyone......
Old 11-25-2007, 06:39 PM

I looked into it. It is a task and can be done. I believe you will need the pcm from the truck you are getting the manual from. Im still thinking about it but as I get older every day , the auto seems nicer!! I wonder why it works that way! lol
Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 PM

I would check with Advance Adapters, If there are any adapter kits available, they would have them
Old 11-25-2007, 09:20 PM

Aftermarket adapter plates aren't needed. You need the factory bell housing adapter, bell housing, flywheel & clutch, tranny & transfer case, accellerater/brake/clutch peddle assemblly, hydro clutch system, front driveshaft and a manual PCM for a basic job. If you want it to look factory, you'll also need a steering column, gauge cluster panel, plastic trim/cup holder center floor console. It'll be easier to find a wrecked truck to do the swap, whether you buy a complete truck or a wrecking yard parting it for you. Actaully, thats what I've been looking for, a cheap wrecked truck.............some day I'll find one............

Quick Reply: Once And For All......