Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

OK, time for a Clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Very conflicting opinoins! - I would expect nothing less But really, do you guys really think I will need a DD just to survive my application (350hp, grossing 18,000 - 19,000lbs)? I want a nice street clutch with great manners - not something my wife can't even drive

Gunracer: Will a DD have better manners than a 13.25? Others are suggesting it will not. I'm trying to make sure I get the right clutch the first time - this appears easier said than done!
Old 10-08-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MSchoenheider
I am in no way trying to say that SB isn't a great company with a great product, but IMO there prices seem too high. I can understand paying the high prices when there clutch was the only one out there, but now, I think we are seeing more competition, and therefore prices are coming down.
FWIW, when sent in my SBC DD earlier this year for a rebuild, there was a bunch of re-designed parts put on it. Peter's continually updating his clutch design, so I think it's 'fair' to continue charging whatever the market will support and use the profits to make a better clutch.

One more quick thing -- when i sent my SBC in for warranty work, Peter was happy to warranty it even though I abused the clutch drag racing. I seriously doubt the seller on Ebay will be there after the fact, but I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

brandon.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:47 PM

the 500 hp dual disk will be a much better clutch to drive on the street than a single disk rated at 500 hp. the single disk must use a much grabbier material [yea i don't think it is a word either]. a dual disk will have much more bearing surface and can use a smoother material for the clutch. just buy enough clutch.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:55 PM

"I seriously doubt the seller on Ebay will be there after the fact"

Yeah brandon, you're probably right that the seller (Idaho Transmission Warehouse) won't be around after the sale. Just because they have been in business for the last 30+ years is no guarentee they will be here next week.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:04 PM

with the sprung hub that clutch should be more forgiving as far as being grabby. and i would suggest you get a stage 2 to keep the best street manners you can. but you will be limiting yourself on hp. and face it we all want more. i said i would be happy at 350 yea right.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:55 PM

Just got my New and inproved SBC DD intonight and so far just driveing it around town I love it 4x's better than the old DD clutch. If you did not know it was a DD you would think it was the low end SBC single disc clutch because it is so smooth and not grabby at all. heck i think my Centerforce was more grabby than this clutch. also the clutch is 1/2 as hard as the 1st DD I had. I sure hope this clutch holds up because this is a great clutch. I will know more tomarrow after I hook.
DM01
Old 10-09-2004, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by MSchoenheider
"I seriously doubt the seller on Ebay will be there after the fact"

Yeah brandon, you're probably right that the seller (Idaho Transmission Warehouse) won't be around after the sale. Just because they have been in business for the last 30+ years is no guarentee they will be here next week.
From the ad:
"This warranty does not cover the following:
  • Clutch returned without all the components
  • Clutch that has been altered or improperly installed by accident, abuse, or negligence
  • Damage due to excessive heat caused by slipping
  • Clutches with bent or broken drive straps
  • Oil or grease contaminated clutch covers or discs
  • Chatter or grabby engagement complaints
  • Discs with bent or broken retainer plates, broken or missing dampner springs or damaged hub splines
  • Discs or release bearings installed backwards"

"One more quick thing -- when i sent my SBC in for warranty work, Peter was happy to warranty it even though I abused the clutch drag racing. I seriously doubt the seller on Ebay will be there after the fact"

Meaning, Peter knew I was drag racing and truck pulling. According to the 'limited warrenty' my clutch wouldn't have been warrentied if I purchaced from the Ebay seller. Nor would they have gone out of their way to replace the clutch ASAP with better components free of charge.

Basically, Peter provides a clutch and after sale service. I simply questioned the ebay sellers ability to do the same.

After all that, it's your money and your choice. Please keep us posted either way.

brandon.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:10 AM

Which SBC DD is yours Aaron?
Old 10-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Banned

if you have ANY problems w/ a south bend clutch, Peter will do what it takes to make you happy... he overnighted me a brand new disk and pressure plate when I blew mine up. I'm a cult member.

Forrest
Old 10-10-2004, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by BoostdCTD
Which SBC DD is yours Aaron?
Mine is the second to last from the bottom. it is the strongest clutch you can get that is still streetable.

I got to hook the clutch a few times today and it did great. I pulled in a low gear to set it the first time and then a high gear to really slip it and see what it was made of. IT HOOKED I could almost hear the clutch laugh at me one thing I still can't get over is how streetable this clutch is. Even if I was going to get a clutch that I "might" hook with then I would go with the clutch I have right now. Totally streetable and very smooth. way smoother than the FE and you can slip the snot out of it and know it will hook. I know I still have a few more pulls to really get the feel of the clutch but it shure hooks and feels stronger when under a WOT high gear launch than the old clutch. With the old DD it seemed to slip for a second after I would let off the pedal. This new one hooked right up strong.
I was also on the dyno and spun the rollers at 391HP and 835TQ
That is with 70 injectors J.R. adkins laser cut DV 's and a # 10 plate in the stock posi. with with 370's and the laser cut DV;s I gained over 90 HP compaired to the 300 inj and the #10 plate all the way forward. if anybody ever has any questions about parts or just an update send me a PM.
DM01
Old 10-10-2004, 07:54 AM

Hey dodgeman01
whats a clutch like yours cost and what mileage are you getting empty on the highway with all your mods.thanx
Old 10-10-2004, 10:22 AM

Dodgeman01, was this at the Glenford Pull? They had a dyno?
If they did, I wish I would have read the full details of that pull.

I even missed the big boys pull, they went first, and had just finished up when we got there

Oh Well,
Chris
Old 10-10-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Dufrain
Hey dodgeman01
whats a clutch like yours cost and what mileage are you getting empty on the highway with all your mods.thanx
PM him on this note cause mod's will probably delete $$ #'s, and also he can give you some very "helpful & informative" $$$ info

Now for my commentary on Aaron's new clutch:

This new clutch he has is GREAT! Its not hard to press, but you gotta make sure you get 'er all the way down. This was only my 2nd time driving a DD equiped truck (both being Aaron's truck, just different clutchs) so I was very impressed, but at the same time I had a little bit of a rough time trying to shift it quickly (but NOT speed shifting).....Aaron say's it just takes some getting used too......and I believe him because he ran off and left me the night before!

I know where I'm getting my DD next year!
Old 10-10-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by signature600
Dodgeman01, was this at the Glenford Pull? They had a dyno?
If they did, I wish I would have read the full details of that pull.

I even missed the big boys pull, they went first, and had just finished up when we got there

Oh Well,
Chris
No this was our 2nd Annual KYDTR Diesel Truck Round Up, held this year in Falmouth, KY.

EEP was holding a "Charity Pull" in OH last night so the only "Big Boy's" we had were Terry Martain & George Peterson.

George finally got 'er figured out, haven't seem him break in a long time.

Terry.....well we though he was gonna run over a truck that was parked straight in-line with the track down at the opposite end!(333FT)
Old 10-10-2004, 01:56 PM

Cool

I've gotta hit more of these pulls next season, or catch the late ones this year

AND pay more attention to the trucks (too many cute women at most of these things )

Chris

Quick Reply: OK, time for a Clutch...