Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

OK, time for a Clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, time for a Clutch...

OK, first of I knew this was going to happen. My stock clutch has been seeming a little odd as of late. Putting the Comp on it tonight confirmed my suspicions, it likes to slip.

I haven't totally fried this thing yet, I set the box back down to level 1. But with having all that power just the push of a button away I need to find a replacement, quick.

I've been looking around and have decided to go for either an LuK 13" conversion, Southbend Con O or OFE or maybe this one The last one seems more appealing for the cost and materials.

I know I'm going to have the majority tell me SBC, but I'd like unbiased opinions on the other clutches I mentioned. I want to hear form people that have actually tried the other clutches, good or bad.

I tow sometimes but mostly my car trailer, 6000 lbs tops. Then their are times I yank around some pretty heavy construction or farm equipment, but at tops that happens once a month. I want a clutch that will hold to some future upgrades such as injectors etc...

Keep in mind I'm getting married in 2 months so money IS an issue.

Thanks for the input, Doug J
Old 10-06-2004, 11:49 PM

Well the two clutches I have had experance with besides SBC clutches is the centerforce dual friction clutch and the TST button clutch. If you want a clutch that will last the Centerforce is not for you. If you want a smooth clutch to back to trailers and stuff then the TST is not for you. if you want a clutch that will last and be smooth plus have the backing of the clutch maker then SBC is for you. Really I don't see how there is anyother choice out there. Where do you live?

[group buy information removed]
Old 10-07-2004, 01:26 AM

I'm with Dodgeman, I had the TST 1000ft/lb clutch and he's right you can't pull a trailer with it. I used mine pulling 30000lbs. for a month until I could get my SBC in it and it did damage to my transmission and drive train I'm still fixing! SBC is the only clutch to have it will hold 1100ft/lb and engages smooth and after having a button clutch that means alot!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:32 AM

I'll third that from the many cases I've heard about those, the general conclusion is just as dodgeman stated. The price on the eBay one is tempting but you get what you pay for, so I'd be a bit hesitant. Maybe look through the people in his feedback and find that won an item like yours and ask them what they thought.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:35 AM

The main thing in the Ebay clutch is under warranty where it says it does not cover "Chatter or grabby engagement complaints" TST was good enough to give me my money back and give me $300 off of a SBC. When I ask about engagement he said it was smooth. I ask about pulling a heavy trailer and he said it would be fine it wasn't and he did the right thing that's why I like dealing with TST.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:29 AM

every southbend con fe i have riddin in was grabby, if it wasn't for 4 wheel drive i would hate this clutch. it bucks something terrible while backin the trailer. i have to put it in low range any time i have the trailers on. mine has never been able to handle a quick 3/4 shift, it just won't grap it. i have to let off the fuel to give it a chance to hold. south bend has offered to look at it and see if they can fix the proble but i can't afford to have the truck down. i have since bought a southbend dual disk to replace it with. i just hope the dual disk will take care of my clutch problems.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm interested in a SBC and they suggest that if you are pulling 8000 lbs+ with a bombed engine, you should be going to their 13" clutch kits. Their website says they will know when their 12 clutches are being used to tow heavy and will NOT warranty them. The homepage even says to not cheap out on a clutch - buy the proper one for your application. I will be in the 350hp range and will gross out at 18,000 - 19,000 lbs from time to time, does this mean I need the 13" clutch? Why would they even offer the 12" clutches? Are there downsides to the 13" clutch kits other than the higher cost? My application seems only moderate to me but they suggest a very heavy duty clutch.

Trending Topics

Old 10-07-2004, 12:42 PM

i would suggest a dual disk, i know it cost a small fortune but after dropping some serious change on my 13.25 conversion, it has been a let down. i thought i was buying plenty of clutch when i got the 13" conversion for my truck.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Muted User

I'll chime in here.. As a dual disc SBC user... they aren't cheap and they don't drive nice. Not like a single disc obviously... not to mention pedal efforts. If you can safely do it I'd recommend a single disc... unless horsepower doesn't allow it.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:29 AM

If you call Peter or go to the site for SBC you will see that they have a bigger selection of DD clutches now. My DD is smoother than some of the FE's I have ridden in. SBC had many different plate loads and docs configurations. Some are made for just street trucks and other for pulling. when I bought my clutch there was only 3 choices and three plate loads. not I think there is like 6 or 8 clutches with 4 or 5 plate loads.
DM01
Old 10-08-2004, 01:54 AM

I got the fe sent by mistake and they said not to pull heavy with it or you will bust the center out (which is what happened to my original). I have the OFE and pull 30000lb + it is smooth and I know what a grabby clutch feels like (try a ceramic). It was expensive but it hols hp and tq empty or loaded heavy.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:15 AM

Call me crazy for going against the South Bend cult, but I'm going with that ebay clutch (yes, I'm Rockcherokee)

Turboterror, can you hold off on bidding on the ebay one till the next one he lists?

I am in no way trying to say that SB isn't a great company with a great product, but IMO there prices seem too high. I can understand paying the high prices when there clutch was the only one out there, but now, I think we are seeing more competition, and therefore prices are coming down. We'll see, maybe I'll get burned and end up with a cheap, broken clutch, but that is the price I will pay (or not pay) for choosing a non SB clutch.

I'll let youguys know (good or bad) how it does.
Mark
Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 AM

i wish i spent my money on the e bay clutch instead of my 13.25 conversion con fe. i would have saved myself about 700 bucks. before i went to the dual disk. it will be grabby but that is the price of holding power. mike
Old 10-08-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by MSchoenheider
Call me crazy for going against the South Bend cult, but I'm going with that ebay clutch (yes, I'm Rockcherokee)

Turboterror, can you hold off on bidding on the ebay one till the next one he lists?

I am in no way trying to say that SB isn't a great company with a great product, but IMO there prices seem too high. I can understand paying the high prices when there clutch was the only one out there, but now, I think we are seeing more competition, and therefore prices are coming down. We'll see, maybe I'll get burned and end up with a cheap, broken clutch, but that is the price I will pay (or not pay) for choosing a non SB clutch.

I'll let youguys know (good or bad) how it does.
Mark
Buy what you want it aint going to hurt me or anybodyelse on this board and its your money. But all I will say is you get what you pay for...
DM01
Old 10-08-2004, 11:25 AM

Cool, I look forward to your review of it.

Quick Reply: OK, time for a Clutch...