Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ok, so I bought a Powerstroke.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I bought a Powerstroke.....

OK, OK, OK, CALM DOWN !!!!! Its an ADDITIONAL vehicle, not replacing the mighty CTD !!! Its a long story, but I love my 1994 GMC diesel suburban, but she's got like 188k miles on her, she's getting really ratty, a/c is totally shot, only 1 out of 4 windows roll down and I just lost the transmision on it. I really like having a huge suburban type vehicle in addition to my pickup, but GM quit putting diesels in suburbans in 1999, and I REFUSE TO EVER OWN A GAS TRUCK AGAIN. Soooooooooooo I bought a 2001 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 powerstroke.

So now, obviously I want to mod it a bit. Just looking for a box/chip for now and will take care of intake and exhaust myself from scratch. Whats the scoop on chips/boxes for these things from other CTD's owners who also flirt with the 'dark side'.

Also, what is the premier Ford Powerstroke web site like this one ?????

Kp
Old 05-19-2007, 11:10 PM

This novely tune by Phil Harris came to mind. haha

enjoy

Have fun with the PS

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/wind...1-WMLO,00.html
Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 PM

dieselstop is the Ferd website similar to this one...
Old 05-19-2007, 11:22 PM

www.ford-trucks.com i believe is also another good one...a buddy of mine has a 7.3 and put a dp tuner on it seems to be a pretty good chip
Old 05-20-2007, 12:17 AM

at least you got a 7.3 if i were forced to own a pstroke, thats the one i'd have
Old 05-20-2007, 10:05 AM

There is www.thedieselstop.com and www.thedieselgarage.com which I go to.

As for the chip I wouldn't waste any time on a programmer or a module. The 7.3L does not respond as well to modules as some of the other engines do. The only way to go with the 7.3L is a custom chip. DP-tuner is the way to go hands down. On my 7.3L I started with an Edge Evolution stacked with a Juice/Attitude. With all of that as high as it would go (110-120hp) it compares to the 80hp economy setting on my DP chip. The 120hp DP setting isn't even comparable. Just call Jody and tell him what you're trying to do. He'll get something programmed that'll meet your needs. FYI, his new F5 chip is capable of up to 16 positions.

www.DP-Tuner.com
Old 05-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just don't straight pipe it. After watching that dyno day footage from dieselfuelonly, it's just better for everyone if they have a muffler, lol.

Trending Topics

Old 05-20-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by wthomps
. DP-tuner is the way to go hands down. www.DP-Tuner.com

This is a fact! I have had a pretty good history of bombin 7.3 PSD and Jody at DP, is the best.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:27 PM
DTR question asker

Originally Posted by Box5
just don't straight pipe it. After watching that dyno day footage from dieselfuelonly, it's just better for everyone if they have a muffler, lol.
Well, only the 6.0s seem to make that noise . In fact I probably wouldn't know what a 7.3 straight piped would sound like... I'm gonna go look it up now.

[EDIT]

Hmm I found two videos on YouTube, they still had a bit of that "thwacking" sound to them, but it wasn't as bad as the 6.0.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly

Hmm I found two videos on YouTube, they still had a bit of that "thwacking" sound to them, but it wasn't as bad as the 6.0.

Does a giant sewing machine come to mind when ya hear it
Old 05-20-2007, 06:55 PM

Alot of people have said it and I will second it about the DP-Tuner, we bombed my buddies 99 7.3 Also he was running the edge evolution on a 100hp he sold it for the DP, the DP Tuner 80 hp setting had alot more power then the 100 on the evolution and less smoke. We also added the boost regulator which goes before the map sensor so even if the truck is making 27-30 pounds of boost the computer thinks its making 20 somethin psi because of the regulator and it wont defuel. The truck was a 99 4 door swb 4x4 auto on 35" toyos, his truck was just as fast as mine. I like them straight piped, sounds better then stock and they whistle pretty good.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:18 PM

the best power upgrade would probably be swapping the ps out for a cummins.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Muted User

Wow thanks for all thre great responses guys !! I was worried I would be banished forever !!!! lol

I see alot of guys with the DP tuner over on powerstroke.org. The Evo II is pretty tempting though, with all the different parameters you can view on the screen. And with $200 in a set of gauges, the $500 for the Evo II is not too shabby. As for power, all I really want right now is about 75HP/100 Ft lbs, beause I am very very nervous about the auto transmission. The Evo, by the way can display trans temp as well. But the DP for $280 plus another $45 for an additional program and $25 for high idle is pretty hard to argue with too.... Does the DP do anything with transmission shifts and line pressure???

Whats with this noise you are talking about when straight piping a 7.3??? I know the turbo really whistles, but what exactly is a "thwacking" sound ????

Kp
Old 05-20-2007, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by
Whats with this noise you are talking about when straight piping a 7.3??? I know the turbo really whistles, but what exactly is a "thwacking" sound ????[laugh

Kp
Straight pipe it and you will find out I think a 7.3 does sound like a big sewing machine mixed with a helicopter. I think they sound pretty cool.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more thing about straight pipeing them (7.3) i don't know were you live but if in a cool climate when they high idle its loud i 'm not sure what they do to warm themselfs up but it's a loud hissing sound i am sure someone on here knows what i am talking about. My brother runs a hypertech programmer on his and has managed to keep a tranny in it and it's a code reader too i don't know how much HP you are looking for but the top tune on that one is 110 HP. Good luck

Quick Reply: Ok, so I bought a Powerstroke.....