Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ok now I'm ticked

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ok now I'm ticked

One of the bolts that tie my leaf springs together has broke AGAIN!!!! What gives? The last time this happened, it was my fault. I had installed the rear add-a-leafs the wrong way. This time, I installed them correctly and now my passenger side one is broke right in half. I know they are installed correctly because they are identical to the way my roommate's truck is and he's got the same setup I do and his aren't broke. What keeps breaking these things? I don't four wheel this truck much. Maybe once a month and even then it's nothing to brag about. I don't haul anything. I'm gonna fix it tomorrow but I want to know why it keeps breaking in the first place. Anybody got any ideas? I'm getting to good at changing these things out. I can do both in under 4 hours. Thanks for the help yall.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
See the "Kills" line in your sig for the reason.

Could be the right one was stressed due to your incorrect install before, but just wasn't ready to break until now, under normal stress.
Have you thought about ladder bars to control the rear a little more?

Chris
Old 01-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Banned

I replaced them both last time. Stamey, if I'm breaking stuff while stock, I'd hate to see what happens when I add the comp here in the week or so. I've thought about ladder bars but I don't have the money right now to spend on them and I didn't think it was needed with my setup right now.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:40 PM

Take a hammer and tap on the spring ubolts at the long span between the nut and the axle,you should get a high pitched sound.if you get a dull sound the u-bolts are loose,letting the leafs shift ,breaking the center pin.I used to work at a shop that checked them that way as preventative maintanance.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by dieselhawg
Take a hammer and tap on the spring ubolts at the long span between the nut and the axle,you should get a high pitched sound.if you get a dull sound the u-bolts are loose,letting the leafs shift ,breaking the center pin.I used to work at a shop that checked them that way as preventative maintanance.
Very good idea
Old 01-29-2005, 09:19 PM

Where are the bolts breaking? Under the head or in the threads?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it have anything to do with an aggie installer? Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Hope you get it fixed and it causes you no more troubles.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Blue, your sig says you can beat a lot of Fords...but only one Mini Van? I would be getting that checked out asap. Must've been a Caravan.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Banned

you using the right bolts? you want a shank at the stress point, not threads.... thats why it was asked above, I used to break a lot of plow bolts that were put in incorrectly. find a bolt with a longer unthreaded shank and if you need to wasshers to get the sheer point past the threads. threads are just like perforatins for a crack to form.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Banned

These are the bolts that skyjacker sent with the kit. Both times. I'll try checking with the hammer and see what that gets me. It's shearing right in the middle of the spring pack.

Scotty, for some reason, minivan's don't want to race. I don't know why.

mikmaze, for a bolt to have that long of an unthreaded shank on it would be huge. I'm talking at least 4" unthreaded with an inch threaded. What if I could find a metal sleeve to go around the bolt and protect the threads. Wouldn't that do the same thing as having an unthreaded shank?
Old 01-30-2005, 01:50 AM

i told you the first time you had a problem with this to get ladder bars. my last truck that had a skyjacker twisted the bolts foward but didn't break them. my friend has ladders and the bolts haven't moved they are only like $350 from haisley id invest in some before that axle comes loose and cost you alot more
Old 01-30-2005, 02:33 AM
Banned

halerazor, I was hoping I had the problem fixed when I swapped the add-a-leafs around. I guess I was wrong. I'm just gonna have to keep replacing these bolts until I can afford the ladder bars. My buddy works at o'reilly's so I get the bolts for like $.50 so it's no big deal. And besides, I get practice at it. I'm going for 3 hours total tomorrow. Right now it's a little under 4.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by Scotty
Blue, your sig says you can beat a lot of Fords...but only one Mini Van? I would be getting that checked out asap. Must've been a Caravan.

A turbo caravan???
Old 01-30-2005, 02:53 AM
Banned

You gotta be careful about minivans in my hometown. Kids are putting nitrous on them these days.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:59 AM

Minivan

http://www.gusmahon.org/html/Mini.htm

Quick Reply: Ok now I'm ticked