Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

OK guys, riddle me THIS - injectors...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:OK guys, riddle me THIS - injectors...

A single 1/4" hole wouldn't allow for the correct spray pattern in the cylinder. The reason the more powerful ones are more expensive, IMHO, is that there is more technology going into them. The manufacturer's try and get more power with a reasonable amount of smoke and fuel mileage. It's easier to do that with smaller holes than larger ones. Plus, the larger holes weaken the injector tip so there is more technology needed to try and strengthen the tip from breakage. This is just my opinion.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Banned

That's the thing though. The larger the holes get, the more delicate they get. There's not as much material to work with. There's less material to put an angle on to change the spray pattern. There's more of a chance of tip breakage. Maybe Don M will pop in and add something. He seems to be an expert on these things. I'm only 17 so I don't know much. Just whatever I pick up from this place.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:51 PM

Ok, I really don't know but,

I thought they all started life out as standard injectors of one flavor or another and then the size of hole was increased by pressing an erosive media through the existing holes. So the larger the holes, the longer it takes.

Someone know for sure???
Old 04-15-2003, 07:25 PM

Gary to answer your question, I don't know why the price goes up as the power does. Honestly the cost of labor and materials to make these injectors are all the same. Of course the amount of R&D done to higher hp injectors could be more but thats not likely. ATS charges the same amount for each hp level of injectors they sell simply because they don't see a reason charging more for different hp levels when they do not cost more to make. Some guy making EDM's are doing the same thing also.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a supply and demand thing. They figure if you want more HP you'll pay more money. If all the injector prices were the same no one would ever buy the smaller ones. ;D<br><br>Then there's the possibility that they won't sell as many of the bigger injectors because they are so hot, and cost more because they don't sell as many of them. This is along the lines of &quot;rare&quot; parts are more expensive than common parts.<br><br>BR - It's good to see that some people don't change the prices according to HP. Can you tell me who does that?<br><br>Chris<br>
Old 04-15-2003, 10:43 PM

It has to do with the amount of time that is required to extrude hone the injector and then get the pop off correct. The large injectors take much longer than the smaller ones. Bully Dog told me once that they spend about 5-6 hours per injector just getting the pop off correct on the stage 8 models.<br><br>Doug
Old 04-15-2003, 10:55 PM

It's not always true though.<br>For a properly valved engine : [ 12 that is for those that didn't know ]<br>The stock 215's are 25 percent higher than the 370 preformance injectors at Piers. <br><br>215's : $499<br>370's : $399<br><br> Go Figure ! <br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 04-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=OlBlue link=board=7;threadid=13634;start=0#128404 date=1050450671]<br>Ok, I really don't know but,<br><br>I thought they all started life out as standard injectors of one flavor or another and then the size of hole was increased by pressing an erosive media through the existing holes. So the larger the holes, the longer it takes.<br><br>Someone know for sure???<br>[/quote]<br><br>Not always the case.<br>There are different processes to do the holes, sizing, angles etc.<br>Plus not all injectors are derived from standard injectors.<br>Like Jet said...theres a lot of labor involved with the pop off being matched as well.<br><br>Theres a tad bit more to it then just making holes bigger.<br>Fire ring, atomization, pop off, number of holes, and all the R&amp;D, dyno runs, collateral damage, dud parts and a few more things I am sure.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:07 AM

[quote author=Stamey link=board=7;threadid=13634;start=0#128440 date=1050456228]<br><br>Then there's the possibility that they won't sell as many of the bigger injectors because they are so hot, and cost more because they don't sell as many of them. This is along the lines of &quot;rare&quot; parts are more expensive than common parts.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>He hit the nail on the haed there. The concept is called break-even point. Or how many do we have to sell at what price to break even or turn a profit. Assuming that R+D, advertising, and production are all the same across the board for the injectors, You then have to look at how many need to be sold and at what price in order to cover those costs. Obviously if you can sell 1000 of say a Stage 3 and only 10 of a stage 8 you will need to price them differently to cover the same costs. The other principle (cant remember the name)is the same as buying an exotic sports car over a mass production vehicle, It costs a lot more to make because your not going to make and sell as many, which is why they cost so much. If DC only made as many trucks as they did Vipers per year, The price would skyrocket well past the triple digits, making it unfeasible to even build. Just my 5.9 cents
Old 04-16-2003, 07:21 AM

I know EDM's are alot more involved then a normal injector.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:58 AM

Thaen why the high price on the 215's ?<br><br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 04-16-2003, 08:07 AM

I know nothing about 12 vavles.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:07 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 215 injector is more money because the initial cost from Bosch is higher. Much higher. Bosch has decided the 215 injector is worth more money than the 370 Marine for the 12 valve <br><br>For an extrude honed injector the the production time is higher the larger the power level goes. More media needs to be used to hone it out and the honing time increases. Time is money. Labor is not cheap. Adding to this, the parts for many of the high HP injectors just plain cost more money.<br><br>EDM injectors are the most labor intense of them all. Many hours are spent making the holes and the more holes you gotta make the higher the labor cost is. Adding to this, our set-up time to just get the fixturing on the machine and dial indicated in, takes more time than extrude honing an entire set does. Back to &quot;time is money&quot;.<br><br>Don~<br><br><br>

Quick Reply: OK guys, riddle me THIS - injectors...