Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Oil Filter, I want the best one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also run the Fleetgaurd. Fram is a no-no. There are a few others on the black list as well.

I change my oil every 5K.

Dave
Old 08-04-2007, 07:36 AM

BIG BLUE24 That is hear say from people that havent even run one, it says K&N so they say junk, I have cut 1 of mine open when I did my oil change and all the filtration material is still present (firsthand experince)!
Brandon
Old 08-04-2007, 10:55 AM

You should be able to find a Donaldson dealer in your area by visiting www.donaldson.com. I run the Endurance filters on all of my vehicles. I have 200K on a couple of them (gassers) running Endurance and synthetic oils with no issues.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by 97' CTD
BIG BLUE24 That is hear say from people that havent even run one, it says K&N so they say junk, I have cut 1 of mine open when I did my oil change and all the filtration material is still present (firsthand experince)!
Brandon
The K&N has been documented to take out engines. Dodge ran a TSB regarding this brand of filter and it's use.

Do what you are comfortable with. But, I would be very cautious.

Dave
Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Frantz TP by pass filters down to .05 microns.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
The K&N has been documented to take out engines. Dodge ran a TSB regarding this brand of filter and it's use.

Do what you are comfortable with. But, I would be very cautious.

Dave
According to DC Dealerconnect , I can find no information on this.. Could you give me more information ? I'm unable to find it in any dealer resources?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by mysterync
According to DC Dealerconnect , I can find no information on this.. Could you give me more information ? I'm unable to find it in any dealer resources?
I couldn't find the link off hand.

Here's the list of approved filters however.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:42 PM

Theres no tsb or info on ANY filter being the root of problems. I've personally seen wix being a bad filter. But as far as anything from Dodge, Cummins or any other large manf. creating a TSB on the issue,(about one manf.) i dont think so! I personally feel like sticking to FG filters is the best bet! All the filters listed in the above link are FG except the Pureolator
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM

I have got some info somewhere. There was a tech bulletin that I got my hands on about the Fram filters. And, ANY filter can fail. Just some are more prone to it than others.

Basically, the neoprene in some of the performance filters were breaking down. This list of filters was not produced out of thin air. The reason we have a list at all is due to all the warranty claims that cheap filters were directly responsible for.

In other words, Dodge would not want to creat a liable lawsuit by naming the filters they were having issues with. Just provide an "approved" list of the ones that have NOT caused issues.

I have personally seen the damage caused by a failed K&N. I have seen pictures of more than one engine lost to the Fram.

I agree, sticking to fleetgaurd is a best bet. And simce the top 3 filter companies make products for each other and themselves, they are always a good bet as well.

I would stay away from cheap filters. Just too much to risk.

Dave
Old 08-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
I have got some info somewhere. There was a tech bulletin that I got my hands on about the Fram filters. And, ANY filter can fail. Just some are more prone to it than others.

Basically, the neoprene in some of the performance filters were breaking down. This list of filters was not produced out of thin air. The reason we have a list at all is due to all the warranty claims that cheap filters were directly responsible for.

In other words, Dodge would not want to creat a liable lawsuit by naming the filters they were having issues with. Just provide an "approved" list of the ones that have NOT caused issues.

I have personally seen the damage caused by a failed K&N. I have seen pictures of more than one engine lost to the Fram.

I agree, sticking to fleetgaurd is a best bet. And simce the top 3 filter companies make products for each other and themselves, they are always a good bet as well.

I would stay away from cheap filters. Just too much to risk.

Dave
Right On Big Dave, You Hit the nail on the head with this one , and exactly what i was getting at.... Just a pain trying to type with a finger recently almost ripped off
Old 08-05-2007, 12:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jsflagstad
+1 on the Donaldson Endurance

I work for Donaldson, I use them on my truck I've seen them being built and I personally use them exclusively. They are a great filter and no expense is spared.
I'd LOVE to work for an industry leader like Donaldson.

I ordered a bunch of the Endurance filters for my truck when I first read of them.

I'd expect that even an average quality Dino oil could comfortably run 10K miles with the Donaldson filter.

With a premium oil and a premium filter like the D-son, I'd think 15K would be perfectly doable.

Oil analysis alone will tell the tale, though...

JH
Old 08-05-2007, 01:55 AM

What's the part number on the Donaldson filter for a 12v? Looking for the lowest micron.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:46 AM

I went to a NORRA oil lubrication class and they said GM and others done a test on filters and they doubled the life of the engine but that would cut down to much cost to the consomer so they said dont sell them to the public and this was told by a Fleet REP
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
What's the part number on the Donaldson filter for a 12v? Looking for the lowest micron.
Donaldson Endurance P/N ELF7349
Brandon
Old 08-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Well, I didn't want to be lazy so I tried to find this info on my own, with no luck.

PN for Endurance for 24V ?

Where do you buy Donaldson products?

thanks....

Quick Reply: Oil Filter, I want the best one.