Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Offroad/driving light switch wiring help....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offroad/driving light switch wiring help....

I have a pair of piaa driving 520's and KC 8 inch rally's that I want to come on with the high beams. Wiring them to the headlamp harness is the obvious choice but I think it would be better to wire them to the wire coming from highbeam switch down the steering column. Anyone know which that is on a 96 like mine?
If I know which wire it is it'll be a breeze but I am doing other work on the truck right now and can't spend the time testing.
It is for use in central america where you need all the light you can get on the roads :-laf but I don't want to blind people either so I want them to switch off easily and quickly. I may put in a master switch aswell to turn them on independent of the high beam.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:46 PM

Like you, I have the daytime running lights, so I did it the quick and easy way: I used a simple relay connected to the wire going to the high beams, and put a toggle switch down low under the dash to control when the auxillary lights come on or not. The relay is close to the battery so the high amp side doesn't have far to go. This way, you don't need a wiring diagram, just a 12v test light to find the right wire.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:15 PM

Actually I have disconnected the daytime running lights so does that make things even easier??? The module was starting to act up....
However I felt it'd be better to splice on the switch wire going down the steering column as there'll hopefully be less chance of corrosion in the cab than under the hood. Any ideas what colour wire on a 96?

Yukon? I bet you need lots of lights up there I was thinking a left foot floor switch to turn all 4 aux lights at once might do it aswell. You must run your lights on the highway aswell with all those critters around up there?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:21 PM

No, I sure don't! But good luck with it!
Old 05-02-2006, 12:31 PM

When I find it I will post what colour it is
Old 05-03-2006, 02:36 PM

Highbeam wire Colour for 96 Dodge!

OK so it wasn't the blood red with light orange(yellow?) wire but after a lot of calling up baffled service departments and some wire cutting I found it!
Drum roll please....
It is DARK red with orange tracer.
The wire was so dirty, hidden and the orange so faded I had overlooked it previously but now it works!!
The wire from the dash switch to the multifuntion switch is violet with white tracer.