Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

OEM air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM air filter

have a 4" exhaust and a K&N air filter. having read some negative posts about K&N filters i plan and taking it out and going back to the OEM filter that the ******* sells for the CTD. my question is do any of the gear heads here see any problems with this? i know i will loose some of the power but more concerned with letting the bad stuff in with the K&N. also i know the K&N needs a bead of sealer before putting it in, what about the OEM, do i just drop it in?

thanks,
david h
Old 10-20-2003, 07:35 AM

Re:OEM air filter

on the above post i mean is there a problem with the OEM air filter and the 4" exhaust? on my old 74" harley the intake had to be tuned to the exhaust. i know old harleys but nothing about these CTDs.

thanks
Old 10-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Banned

Well you didn't tune the exhaust to the air flow when you put on the 4" system??? So it really doesn't matter. I would throw away the K&N filter, but if you are saying with the stock air box, Go to the AMSOIL filter, they seal good and are not very expensive (27.00). And open the stok filter box with a few good size holes in the sides. Or, throw the whole shbang in the trash and get a good AFE maga cannon filter set-up, this is what I did and I pretty much went the same route as yourself.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:59 AM

so where do i get the amsoil? what about warranty issues, problems?

thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

The whole issue with the stock air box is two things: One being that it is very restrictive, even for a stock motor. And two is that if your not carefull the air box can leak and let in more dirt. So drilling out a stock one is ok if you want to stay with stock, but you can never take it to the dealer with a hacked air box if your worried about the warranty. But you can get an aftermarket one and then quickly swap before any dealer gets under the hood. As for the K&N, well I dont really know what to say about this subject except that I had one and then got a Megacannon. Not cause the K&N wasnt doing the job but because the stock air box couldnt flow the cfm. After market filters flow more because the lack of the stock air box and they have more filtering surface area. Doesnt have to be an oiled design. Some people get the BHAF. Its paper. It seems to be more personal preference than fear. Personally I have never experienced any problems with K&N but I really like the aFe filter I have now. If anything, I would stay away from the stock filter if EGT's are an issue with your truck.
on my old 74" harley the intake had to be tuned to the exhaust. i know old harleys but nothing about these CTDs.
No you dont have to tune your motor. Gas engines are not like diesel engines. They dont require the correct fuel ratio that gas needs. They work like a furnace. More fuel = more power. But with more fuel you need more air (boost) to feed the flame for better combustion and lower EGT's. Do some research on how these motors work. Its very interesting. Hope this helped.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:31 PM

katoom,
who sells BHAF filters? is there a retail outlet that stocks them that you know of?

thanks,
david h
Old 10-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some part numbers.

Fleetguard AH19037
NAPA 2790
WIX 42790
Donaldson B105006
Baldwin PA2820
Hastings AF1012

Fleetguard available from any Cummins or Big Rig distributor.
NAPA I assume is from Napa

Not sure where the others come from, probably any good auto supply store could get one.

I have the Fleetguard version, purchased from Cummins Intermountain in Salt Lake City, for right around 50 bucks.

phox
Old 10-21-2003, 09:03 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm not sure where to get the BHAF. I think Napa sells them. And I think the Cummins store sells one. Maybe someone will chime in and let you know where and the part number.