Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Odd turbo noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd turbo noise

I've finally had enough of this. Between 1500-1600rpm's at light throttle/cruising in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd lockup, I can hear this noise coming from the turbo that sounds like a leaf is stuck in the fan. It does it with the A/C on and off. It did it with my stock turbo and it does it with my KSB-1. I've got a scotty 2 intake with the hole cut. I've pulled the scotty apart looking for leaves, stuck a vaccum in the air dam trying to suck something out, nothing helps. This is driving me nuts. Please help before I lose what little mind I've got left.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlue
I've finally had enough of this. Between 1500-1600rpm's at light throttle/cruising in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd lockup, I can hear this noise coming from the turbo that sounds like a leaf is stuck in the fan. It does it with the A/C on and off. It did it with my stock turbo and it does it with my KSB-1. I've got a scotty 2 intake with the hole cut. I've pulled the scotty apart looking for leaves, stuck a vaccum in the air dam trying to suck something out, nothing helps. This is driving me nuts. Please help before I lose what little mind I've got left.

Tyler

now i dont know much about your trucks and what not, But do you think that leaf sound possibly comes from a split second of defueling? I have seen some videos of some really hopped up 24V's with stax that smoke black, the rpms defuel or somethin for a split second and smoke white and then black again? Im thinkin that if it has done it with both, the stocker, and the B1, then its something fuel related for sure... It just dont add up that both of the turbos do it at exactly the same rpm range and what not...

Just my wild guess

Rick
Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

I kinda get what your saying but I don't think that's the case. It might very well be but I just don't understand how fueling would cause it. It's a very fast and rapid ticking sound coming from there. I wish I could get a soundclip up of it. Might try and do that tomorrow if I get a chance.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:38 PM

Maybe it is something rattling/vibrating???
Old 03-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

Thought about that but don't know what or where to start looking. Any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you looked to see if the turbo blade is rubbing on the housing?

Just trying to help ya BB.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

Checked that and it's clear.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 PM

Might wanna make sure you got a good seal where the downpipe connects to the exhaust housing around the clamp. I had an exhaust leak a few years ago that sounded like sandpaper and drove me nuts...turned out I didnt have the downpipe sealed up good enough. Just a thought...
Old 03-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned

I'll check it but the last time I was under there I didn't notice any smoke stains or anything of the sort.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 PM

My bet is it's a leak in the exhaust. My downpipe doesn't make a perfect seal and it makes the noise that you're describing. This spring I plan on tackling that job...
Old 03-27-2006, 08:16 PM

If it done it with the stock turbo and still does it with a different turbo that would rule out the turbo as the source of the noise wouldn't it. I would go over the plumbing good and check for holes in the exhaust if your for sure its coming from that area.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey BB, have you checked your coolant level lately?
I lean towards the exhaust.
At this RPM does the boost or EGT change when the noise occurs?
If it does, you might have either a leaky intercooler hose or well, I know this is far reaching but it could even be the head gasket.
When you describe this, its sounds almost identical to the sound I encountered for almost a year with the stock turbo and the B1...then after I added more power, bye bye head gasket in a big way and when I fixed it, no more flutter sound.

Scotty
Old 03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned

EGT and boost gauge stay the same. EGT is like 600* and boost is 0-2psi. Last time I was under the hood the coolant level was fine. I'll check for leaks though.

I don't think it's the exhaust because I had to change down pipes when I changed turbos. Maybe it is.

Thanks for the ideas yall. Keep em coming. I'm gonna try and tackle this before I go home this weekend so I don't have to listen to my mom ask me why I keep screwing with my truck.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:02 PM

Maybe someone put a powerstroke in it? Dont they sound like a leaf flapping in the wind? Seriously though; I dont know what it could be. Something vibrating is all i could think of?

Eric
Old 03-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned

I'll tell you what, that sure is the straightest, easiest, strongest power stroke I've ever worked on.

Quick Reply: Odd turbo noise