Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Odd straight pipe question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:34 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd straight pipe question.

Alright, well would really like some stacks......someday....when my money tree starts producing really good, but decided.....like my BHAF, on the straight pipe, cause it's cheap, plus I want to here the girl talking to me.

Got the straight pipe last night....hopefully while I am at work today getting paid I can get it up on the rack and pop that thing in there. Question is though, is the muffler supposed to be welded to the tailpipe?? I had my straight expanded and see it goes towards the front of the truck and can see at the muffler/tailpipe is expanded but it is welded right at the muffler. Just curious to know if that is how it is supposed to be or if mine has had some hack work done? I am hoping I can get it into the expanded part of the tailpipe enough and then I guess I'll be welding them together, not really what I wanted to do.....but, other than a new tailpipe..

thanks for any info......pray for me today......pray that everyone stays away from the caddy dealer......so shawn can get his straight pipe done!!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Banned

I think the stock muffler was welded to the tailpipe. I'm not 100% sure though.

Now any of the aftermarket varieties would be held together by clamps. Don't be shy about welding it though. Just make sure you take the center sections off the truck so that you can get a solid bead all the way around. I've seen a few hack jobs that didn't weld all the way around and they wondered why they weren't getting the desired sound.....
Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 AM

Yes, the stock one is welded
Old 04-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Chapter President

THANKS ALL!!!!! WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Somebody must have prayed for me, ran my tail off for the first hour at work, then it died and got the muff/reso off the truck....had to do a test start of course with just that little section after the down pipe. Then put the straight pipe in and welded her up. Then a short test drive around the wealthy neighborhood here at the shop. WOW!!!!! That is the BEST $30 I have spent!!! Yeah, $30, the muffler guy said $25, but he was closed and relaxing when I showed up and had no problem fixin me up right then and there, so, $5 tip and any business I can drum up for him.

Thanks again all!!! Sounds to sweet....do the windows quit working after you straight pipe your truck?? Mine did not want to go up while I was out driving!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Banned

yeah, my passenger window is usually on the fritz