Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

o-rings when are they needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o-rings when are they needed

At what psi are o-rings needed? If i had studs when would i need to have my head decked and o-ringed? Also what would all need to be done with the trans to be able to hold 5oo to 600hp? Thanks for any help
Old 09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The information would be helpful to hold up your user name...

Depending if you have an HO or and SO will depend on how much studs will hold. A SO will typically hold more boost, but boost is not the only thing that will create cylinder pressure. Heat and drive pressures are also a factor.

My truck held 500 hp on fuel for a long time before taking care of the headgasket issue before it was a problem. I used a Scheid MLS gasket with fire rings.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:27 AM

Do yourself a favor and dont get Fire Rings or O Rings unless your prepared to send a head to the scrap yard.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Do yourself a favor and dont get Fire Rings or O Rings unless your prepared to send a head to the scrap yard.
Scrap yard? Why to the scrap? I deck and fire ringed my 24v head and never had any problems. Broke it in and re torqed it as needed. Every 8 weeks checked the studs and never had a problem? I also used Schied's .105 rings and gasket. Also I just had the head cut, not the block but either way can be done. The head was at the machine shop and was $50 to get it cut so I was like, go for it!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ground Shaker
Scrap yard? Why to the scrap? I deck and fire ringed my 24v head and never had any problems. Broke it in and re torqed it as needed. Every 8 weeks checked the studs and never had a problem? I also used Schied's .105 rings and gasket. Also I just had the head cut, not the block but either way can be done. The head was at the machine shop and was $50 to get it cut so I was like, go for it!
Bunches have had problems with O ring/Fire ring jobs...
Including myself.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Chapter President

I didn't cut the head or the block. I went with their new style of gasket and fire ring set up.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM

ha My user name is the only one i could think of that wasn't taken! I tryed like 6 different ones. I also filled out my sig but it never puts it up when i post. Mike D is the MLS gasket kind of like the cometic? Has anyone used the cometic gasket and does anyone know any info about them? I was thinking about going that way but don't know alot about them.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Chapter President

It's similar, both the Scheid gasket and the Cometic gasket are MLS. I think the only difference for the Scheid gasket is the thickness and the use of their fire rings, plus Scheid asks that you run 14mm headstuds.

Did you try going to the User CP to edit your signature?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:24 AM

So you used 14mm studs or did you just go with the 12mm? Also how much boost are you pushing and how long have you had it in? I will try to go and edit my sig again
Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 AM

Getting everything ready to install a drive pressure gauge. How high can I go before I start to stress the gaskette. Still running on the stock gaskette waiting to see if Im going to start my twin project by christmass before I put it in.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dmaxcrusher
ha My user name is the only one i could think of that wasn't taken! I tryed like 6 different ones. I also filled out my sig but it never puts it up when i post. Mike D is the MLS gasket kind of like the cometic? Has anyone used the cometic gasket and does anyone know any info about them? I was thinking about going that way but don't know alot about them.
I've used Cometic gaskets... not in a Cummins but in a my pretty seriously built Ford 2.3l turbo. They're the best thing since sliced bread, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Chapter President

So you used 14mm studs or did you just go with the 12mm? Also how much boost are you pushing and how long have you had it in? I will try to go and edit my sig again
I push less than 50 lbs, but I spray at the track. I've had the gasket on since April and I'm running the 14mm studs. Scheid said that my setup is good to 80+ psi and 1000 HP.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 PM

Mike

I looked on their websight and could not find that gaskette. How much do they run?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 74dart
Mike

I looked on their websight and could not find that gaskette. How much do they run?
The gasket is 185.00 bucks, the o-rings are 8.16 each (X6). I just installed mine this weekend. I also went with the street cam and an ATS exhaust manifold. I stuck with 12MM studs. I did not have the time to have someone drill and tap the block for the 14MM studs. With the 12's torqued to 125 ft/lbs I am good to 70 PSI.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM

I read about them here and on another site...supposed to be able to do away with the O-rings...I use Cometic on my Harley for a high compression build and they're the best thing since sliced bread...the do custom applications too!

Quick Reply: o-rings when are they needed